Shotting question - Pole Rigs

Zerkalo

Bulk and then a dropper or just a bulk?

I was always taught that unless fishing with shot spread out for fishing 'on the drop' that it was best to have a bulk somewhere usually around 3/4 of the way down and then a single small dropper shot usually about 6 inches from the hook. However, I've seen in several videos recently that you can use just a bulk about 6 inches or longer from the hook with no dropper?

What are the advantages of both methods?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I don't use a dropper, just bulk shot. Just my preferred way of shotting and no particular reason. I do fish dead depth though when on the pole. When using the waggler, I bulk the shot at the eye of the float and use a dropper just above the hook length.

rudd

A bite registers as either float not settling or a rise when using droppers.
If fish feel the bulk shot they may reject bait.
Droppers also keep rig in order when falling through water rather than in a jumble.

Zerkalo

I'd imagine if you just use a bulk and no dropper you'd get much more definite bites as the whole weight of the bulk will register the bite. Something for me to experiment with next time I have chance anyway.

Paul22

Bulk and then a dropper or just a bulk?

I was always taught that unless fishing with shot spread out for fishing 'on the drop' that it was best to have a bulk somewhere usually around 3/4 of the way down and then a single small dropper shot usually about 6 inches from the hook. However, I've seen in several videos recently that you can use just a bulk about 6 inches or longer from the hook with no dropper?

What are the advantages of both methods?
It depends on how the fish feed and what you are trying to achieve.......
I’m guessing you are talking pole fishing?
A bulk only approach is a very positive way of fishing and also you are getting the bait to the deck....... so if the fish are really having it a bulk only approach does work......also if fishing in shallow water bulk only is usually the approach adopted by many.
A normal way to start would be a bulk and a dropper as you describe but where the bulk and dropper are depends on what’s happening under the water....... be prepared to slide shot around as you work it out....... I often push and extra shot down to the existing dropper if the fish are having it........ I will also change a bulk to a shirt buttoned style if I think the fish are taking it on the drop.
There are many options but I can’t stress enough to move them about and experiment as no session is ever the same.
My standard set up is 6 ft of water a bulk third of the way up from hook and a dropper about 9 inch from the hook.
2 ft water all bulk 6 to 8 inch from hook.
Deep water bulk as 6 ft deep but 2 droppers between hook and bulk
Hope this helps

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
And then there is me, I rarely use any form of bulk. I prefer a shirt button style. Not for fishing on the drop but fishing on the deck.

Reason I do this goes back to a day when I got the impression the fish were rejecting the bait when they felt the bulk. I spread the shot out from float to hooklength and started to get hittable bites. Since then I have rarely used a bulk. To me the strung out shot gives me the benefits of the weight of float but no bulk for the fish to feel. I do though vary the spacing from all the shot being in the lower half/third of the rig to strung all the way to the float.

For that reason I'm not convinced that shotting is as critical as we may think. Yes there will be occasions when a certain pattern works best (targeting F1s for example). But most of the time I'm not convinced its that important. But there is a difference between a crude use of shot and something a bit more refined.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think the only time I've used a dropper is when I'm using the lift method and used the dropper as a tell-tale shot.

Zerkalo

I experimented on a margin rig today. About two foot deep at most and worm on the hook (deadly bait on commies on the right day).

My usual for shallow margins is a small bulk right underneath the 0.3g float for stability and then the one number 8 dropper 5/6 inches from the hook. So today i tried moving the whole 0.3g bulk down near the hook and it made a slight difference, bites (including liners) were more pronounced. Made no difference to overall catch rate as I was bagging up. Ended up moving them back right under the float with just the one dropper, my usual method, no real reason in todays situation other than that's what I'm used to doing.

andy clark

as per the skimmer question further down the page I sometimes use a double bulk for the reasons I explained on that thread for bream

davylad

Site Supporter
If you can your feeding right it doesn't really matter that much. I prefer a bulk well down most of the time, the bigger skimmers will still hold it up when they're having it. I'll try shirt button style tomorrow for a change, and see how I go on. The problem I sometimes have is keeping them feeding on the bottom, not always easy for me on the venues I fish most. Should have said, that doesn't include carp as I don't fish for them, although I get plenty unfortunately.

Last edited:

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Only time I adopt a bulk only for carp fishing is when fishing the margins when I want to know my bait has made it down to the bottom and not hung up in side bank debris.
I use bulk and droppers when skimmer and roach fishing usually bulk and two droppers set 6 inches apart, many times fish intercept or follow the bait down if you fish just a bulk you are missing some fish.
Most of my carp rigs I start out with strung out shot to get a slow drop I only bulk up the shot well into a session if they are feeding hard on the bottom.

Zerkalo

I fish shirt button occasionally, usually in colder weather for silvers. Reason I don't do it so much for carp in summer is I'm tangle prone. Otherwise I usually have my bottom rigs with a bulk and dropper/s and then shallow rigs which are very similar to my margin rigs with a bulk under the float and just one dropper.

I can see the reason for double bulking for skimmers if bites aren't being hit, as the small changes can make all the difference. Similarly with venues I fish though, the Bream, especially skimmers around 2lb, will take on the drop all the time. Margin fishing I'm usually so shallow if they take it on the drop it doesn't usually bother me too much other than foul hooked fish.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
And then there is me, I rarely use any form of bulk. I prefer a shirt button style. Not for fishing on the drop but fishing on the deck.

Reason I do this goes back to a day when I got the impression the fish were rejecting the bait when they felt the bulk. I spread the shot out from float to hooklength and started to get hittable bites. Since then I have rarely used a bulk. To me the strung out shot gives me the benefits of the weight of float but no bulk for the fish to feel. I do though vary the spacing from all the shot being in the lower half/third of the rig to strung all the way to the float.

For that reason I'm not convinced that shotting is as critical as we may think. Yes there will be occasions when a certain pattern works best (targeting F1s for example). But most of the time I'm not convinced its that important. But there is a difference between a crude use of shot and something a bit more refined.
You are not alone mate, I to prefer shirt button shotting. I was always taught that the importance of a shot decreased the further from the hook it was and I have always followed this approach and the adjustments I make tend to be on the dropper shots, lowever, I will use bulk shot if the conditions demand.

Blanks

Site Supporter
Depends how the fish want it, it can change during the session. Bulk down for fish feeding on the bottom, spread the bulk back up the line if they are taking near the bottom, seperate lighter rig shirt button for on the drop or even a shallow rig as well.

Last edited:

GeoffW

Site Supporter

You mention targeting F1s
What are your shotting patterns for F1s in deep water and up on the water?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
:ROFLMAO: You don't know my reputation with F1s otherwise that is a question you wouldn't ask.

Short answer - I have no idea.

Zerkalo

I might fish shirt button style today on my longer line today. Although given the temperature it's going to be margins as usual. This is on a lake with Carp to 10lb+, a few decent roach, and a few skimmers so far to 2lb that still like to feed up in the water and in the margins.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
no one should be so short sighted as to use just one style of shotting pattern, no one day is the same. some days a positive bulk will score, other days a strung out pattern will be necessary. Wind can have an effect, surprisingly a strung out shot pattern can make a rig more stable in strong undertow conditions. Key is sorting it out on the day and getting it right as soon as possible.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GeoffW Fishing Talk 11
G Fishing Talk 23
L Fishing Talk 10
shavenraven Fishing Talk 5
S Fishing Talk 7