Shakespeare Bids Adieu As Cadence Takes Superteam Reins.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
One of the longest-running match fishing team sponsorships has come to an end after almost 40 years – with the Shakespeare Superteam now having a brand-new sponsorship deal with Cadence Fishing UK.

The team, which was set up back in 1980 by match fishing legends Clive Smith and Ken Giles, will now be called Cadence Superteam Bait-Tech.

The association with Cadence is a natural progression, with Cadence UK brand manager James Robbins having been part of the Shakespeare Superteam for many years.

James said: “It is a matter of some sadness that this long-established sponsorship with Shakespeare has come to an end. The Superteam has featured many fine anglers over four decades. The name and the deeds of team members are written in angling history forever.

“But at the same time Cadence Fishing UK is absolutely delighted and honoured to take over as the main sponsor and looks forward to an association which can only benefit our brand.”

The Superteam has been one of the top teams in the country since its inception, winning at least four Division One Nationals and securing many top three positions, also winning several Winter League Finals over the years and many other large events and leagues.

Cadence Superteam Bait-Tech skipper Darren Massey said: “I was privileged to be asked to fish for them in 2007-08, then I was even more honoured to be asked to be the captain in 2011 which I have been for the last eight years.

“The recent takeover of Pure Fishing and Shakespeare was always likely to bring change after reorganisation – but myself and all the team members want to thank Shakespeare for the immense level of support provided over many years and wish the brand every success in the future.”

Talking about the new sponsorship, Darren added: “We look to working with Cadence and plan to continue strengthening the team. We are also excited to help drive Cadence’s products forward. With James also being a member of the squad for many years, I think this will help us all work together better and help the team and Cadence progress in the future.”

NoCarpPlease

Wow ... am I going to be able to stop calling them Shaky? Pretty much 40 years with the brand is quite a history.

I remember my first section win on an open was on the GuC at gayton, pegged next to little steve webb (iirc). It was horrendous conditions with breakers coming down the canal! but I had a couple of perch on a sigma wand.

Good luck to them going forward.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Kim Milsom fished for them, was all set to be the next best thing, but he packed it all in. Anyone know why? Heard he's a bird watcher now.

JayBee

Site Supporter
James has some history in the tackle trade, going back to

I suspect with the current range of tackle getting more positive comments than negative (from actual owners/users), the raised profile from the new sponsorship deal, Cadence will coninue to be a growing force on the UK match/coarse scene.

dave brittain 1

Great news and well done to James and Cadence as it is a great investment in one of the most talented teams I've had the pleasure to fish with.

jasonb

Site Supporter
He was very intense and I don't think match angling could keep up with him

Corn Master

Site Supporter
Kim Milsom fished for them, was all set to be the next best thing, but he packed it all in. Anyone know why? Heard he's a bird watcher now.
I fished an open next to him many years ago at Heyford. He never even responded when I said hello 🤔

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I fished an open next to him many years ago at Heyford. He never even responded when I said hello 🤔
He may have, or is , suffering from one of the many syndromes we hear about, a lot of people with certain ones are highly strung, very intelligent but have trouble interacting with others. I hope that if that is the case he is doing ok.

markthemouse

Kim Milson has not fished or worked for years - he used to be seen walking around the Cotswold water park looking at birds . he has no interest in fishing , matchfishing did not really suit him - he was a great angler but even his England team mates could not work with him. too over the top and intense

L G

Runner up MD's 06
I've just looked at the current range of Shakespeare gear online. Not much that suited to a fishing team as in poles holdalls rods etc. Shame really as through the 90's earls 00's they had a great range of gear but seems to have declined now. understable that a top team cant really be sponsored by a manufacturer that cant provide them with competitive equipment

Lee

NoCarpPlease

that is a good point of speculation - is this the shakespeare brand abandoning the UK/european match fishing market?

with the mention of Kim - and to encourage more reminiscences - there have been plenty of the very biggest names in match fishing who've been in the superteam at some point in the last 39 years. Although perhaps it's emphasised by them being the "big" local team since I moved to the south midlands 28 years ago. I'll start the ball rolling by (hopefully accurately) recalling the original six:
Clive
Ken
Steve Webb
Dave Williams
Max Winters
Tony Davis

and can anyone help out my aging brain - who was the captain in the early to mid 90s? Top name on the Warks Avon, almost ginger hair, youthful face. not being able to recall it is annoying me!

Simon R

Site Supporter
Presumably as a member of the Shakespeare team you're instructed to use nothing but Shakespeare gear and presumably they wouldn't want you to use discontinued rods, reels, poles either.

The Superteam brand which was attached to the top-end gear has entirely disappeared from the range which is a shame as there was the occasional gem amongst them - the whip and long rods spring immediately to mind.

So any current members would be restricted to Omni poles (and 11m :p) and Sigma Supra rods which are very, very ordinary - not a patch on the Mach series which they replaced. In terms of gear it would be on a par with Team Avanti:D

Simon

Bungee Restretched

Presumably as a member of the Shakespeare team you're instructed to use nothing but Shakespeare gear and presumably they wouldn't want you to use discontinued rods, reels, poles either.

The Superteam brand which was attached to the top-end gear has entirely disappeared from the range which is a shame as there was the occasional gem amongst them - the whip and long rods spring immediately to mind.

So any current members would be restricted to Omni poles (and 11m :p) and Sigma Supra rods which are very, very ordinary - not a patch on the Mach series which they replaced. In terms of gear it would be on a par with Team Avanti:D

Simon
This is not how top tier team sponsorship works!!!