Severn

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo do you fish two rods? If it’s safe do so it might be worth having one with a conventional barbel set up and one a more catch anything set up. This’ll save the blank/stem the boredom and you’d be surprised how often a barbel will fall to the catch anything rod. Worth running a float over your feed area just before you pack up as well as sometimes there’ll be one just off where you were fishing that just hasn’t made it to your hook bait yet.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks, pellet. :) Just the one rod especially if my dads coming along to share the peg , but looking at the peg I was in yesterday it looked an ideal float peg so I'm going to head to Arley to do some float fishing some time soon. Maybe set up a Barbel rod at the same time. (y)

carphauler

Fished Arley RB today, very warm and sunny, got there at 7,finished at 4.30 for the grand sum of 1 roach about a 1lb which fell off at the net, 😂😂😭😭, tried everything, meat, pellets, corn, bomb, feeder, a few twitches but that was it, spoke to one bloke as I was leaving, he also had only 1 roach, lovely day overall but the fishing was poor. I think the Bewdley festival is fishing pretty poor aswell judging by yesterday's results. 20200730_081633.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Fished Arley RB today, very warm and sunny, got there at 7,finished at 4.30 for the grand sum of 1 roach about a 1lb which fell off at the net, 😂😂😭😭, tried everything, meat, pellets, corn, bomb, feeder, a few twitches but that was it, spoke to one bloke as I was leaving, he also had only 1 roach, lovely day overall but the fishing was poor. I think the Bewdley festival is fishing pretty poor aswell judging by yesterday's results. View attachment 38583
Definitely some big Roach in there at Arley. I don't recognise the peg though mate, did you walk quite far down?

carphauler

Definitely some big Roach in there at Arley. I don't recognise the peg though mate, did you walk quite far down?
It's my Summer banker peg 😂😂, 2nd meadow just before 2nd tree in meadow, path down between willow trees.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think I know the one, might have been the peg my dad fished, I think I fished the next one down. I'm planning on going to Hampton Loade on my next trip when I get back from Dorset. :D

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
Fished on appley estate yesterday but due to unforseen circumstances had to return home today so only managed the one day. didn't stop at our usual place due to renovations and stopped at a place called the halfway house that had a caravan and camping place at the back to be honest a lovely site and nice people but what wasn't so good was the dogs home next door and the howling dogs going all night, not that I don't like dogs I do but not the yapping ones, nice place but will give it a miss next time, anyway after sitting and baking all day we only managed 1 barbel about 7lbs a 2lb perch that jumped on the 8mm pellet on retrieval a small chub and a few odds and sods and was very hard going. Appley estate is usually a banker for us but on this occasion not to be 😥😥😥but as arney says we will be back.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Tough day to be on the river Paul and hope that everything is okay.
Severn is a struggle at the moment (did warn you :) ) and my network on the Lower says everyone is struggling no matter what they are fishing for.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
Cheers Keith all ok thanks just that the plasterer that is doing some rendering on the back of my bungalow decided he wants to come on Sunday after waiting for him for two months and I need to put the reinforcement mesh on, you did warn me but can't say no to a trip on the severn, oh and how the hell do you type so fast lol.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I type for a living Paul :)
Glad it's nothing personal mate and sorry your trip didn't turn out as you would have liked.
We are in desperate need of a good flush through at the moment and its like revisiting the old days on the river - lots of hours with little of note to show

pellet

Nice picture carphauler it gives us watchers a scene of what we are missing, the fish will return with the rain and we will all be on the bank. Well done barbel seeker, day out is good for the soul. Hope the plasterer did a good job and all back on track.

Robwooly

I struggled last week around Arley (see blog section) seemed to me there was a lot of angling pressure and not a lot of water making a bad combo, also think the floods have changed things although there was lots of fry in the margins which was good. Seems like there was still a lot of sediment coming down despite the river being so low, it needs a flush through of fresh rain water to colour it up and then clear it for the weed to grow, I know some anglers don't like weed but all the fish are missing that green stuff with these low levels, I know I did. Hope you guys get some decent rain up there soon

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@Robwooly from reading your blog it seems you still had some pretty decent fishing at times, better than a lot of recent reports anyway 👍🏻

Robwooly

@Robwooly from reading your blog it seems you still had some pretty decent fishing at times, better than a lot of recent reports anyway 👍🏻
Yeah I think I had too much expectation going into the trip though as I was so looking forward to it, probably why I walked so far and fished so hard, twas hard work trust me, still recovering now :sleep:

bezzer

Site Supporter
Last Thursday my mate and I fished Quatford. I tried every bait in my box (@Lee Richards apart from Meatballs) and we both blanked. Had a chat to the bailiff and he said it'd been fishing very hard. Will now leave the Severn until Autumn.

Yesterday we fished the Avon at Fladbury. Another hard day with my mate catching a Chublet and a Roach/Bream hybid. I managed a Perch, an Eel and a sunburnt nose.

Fladbury.jpg

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Bezz disappointed that you never tried the magic balls but even they have let me down this season (and strangely for Carp as well)

River is in bad shape at the moment and all the guys I talked to yesterday morning at 8 were packed up and home by dinnertime.

Nice picture of the weir and a 28lb Mirror was caught there last season.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Can’t imagine how low and slow the Severn must be now. Despite the Thames being low at the start of the season the sporadic bursts of rain we had in July saw it in good nick and fishing well through that month but the heatwave at the back end of last week seems to have taken its toll now. It was barely flowing this morning and Crystal clear and as hard as it’s been since late June. It was nothing like the river it was middle of last week let alone earlier on in July so even I’m doing the rain dance now lol

Robwooly

That's why I love the Severn - It always flows (relatively) compared to rivers like The Thames, you're fishing that series of lakes Silverfisher that comes each summer courtesey of those locks aren't you? . You gotta feel for old Father Thames when you see a trickle over each weir but spare a thought for all these Southeast and East Anglian Streams that get smaller year on year that are really struggling. Hope we get some good rain but I fear a dry hot spell coming

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Most stretches around me flow pretty well most of the time. Its not really until you get well below oxford that its really slow. Generally with it around here it holds a good condition longer than youd think but then when it does go out of condition it also takes quite a while to right itself again. Like it takes a long dry spell to get it low but then it takes a long wet spell to fix it then it takes ages to flood but when it does it seems to stay up for ages.

Generally the pattern is it often fishes hard in june due to presumably a combination lack of anglers baits, spawning hangover and shock of rising temperatures. Then it almost always fishes well in july presumably due to the fish having got used to the baits and temperatures and there being enough water left from spring rains to keep it topped up and the angling/boating/general recreational pressures havent been on it that long yet. Then sometimes in august theres a lull presumably from the temperatures and water level and cumulative effect of recreational pressures reaching a critical point. Then it generally fishes well again from september through october as temperatures and recreational pressures drop a bit and rain increases a bit then alls well until floods and/or frosts screw it up again around november from which point its a lottery until the end of the season.

Anyway apologies for the nerdy tangent lol