Severn

WickerDave

Site Supporter
A short two and half hour session at Sydney Avenue yesterday evening as I had to be nearby for a late click-and-collect grocery pickup anyway. A first try with a maggot feeder only produced stolen bait, a few rattles and one fish that was at least barbel shaped.

DSC05839.jpg

Not a touch on the main barbel rod again.

There was a report with photos on the club Facebook page of someone catching 5 barbel in a session from a swim on the same narrow island stretch a couple of days ago, so they are there (if you know what you are doing!).

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Some much needed commercial carp therapy yesterday afternoon, but with the fishery closing at 8pm there was time for a brief dabble at Sydney Avenue on the way home. Just one rod used this time searching around a couple of swims, the water was a murky brown instead of being clear like last time. I finally had a bite on the barbel rod, but not from the intended quarry.

DSC05858.jpg

There was an 11lb barbel posted on the club Facebook page yesterday from this stretch, from the downstream limit away from the island narrows this time. It was a last cast (but in bright daylight) fish, the implication was it was the only one he'd caught.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Fished five sessions now before today and the Severn has been it's usual moody self.
Today was the first day in a fornight where the river was a steady height all day but today's joy to dampen things was an early Autumn it seems - the trees have started shedding their leaves and then some.

Previous sessions have seen a few Chub to the two pound mark with most around the pound /pound & half. Plenty of Chublets, Perch and Silvers of which a few sacrificed their lives so I could switch to preds and had a few small Zander to three pounds.

Short evening session tonight and the only one fishing.Leaves were a pain and the boat traffic was noticeably more frequent.
Gamble paid off though with the first Barbel of the season and a couple of decent Chub and a Bream.Couple of small Perch made up the numbers.Most of the fish apart from one Chub fell to worm as did a nice Roach that nearly saw a good sized Zander in the net before we all parted ways.

River has been hard from the off this season and Autumn will need a rethink of tactics.

Not big fish but Severn fish all the same and at least something to report.

Attachments

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
Well done Keith, hope things are beginning to move down there, get e'm in training for when I get there lol

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I fished Arley RB today. Early bird catches the worm, although it wasn’t busy, probably due to the car park being shut.

Had a fish early on 5.42am 5lb 5oz.

2020-07-18 05.42.15.jpg

Than one at 9,16am 7lb

2020-07-18 09.16.36.jpg

Then I lost one at the net and it went quiet for a bit as the daylight appeared, albeit on a overcast day, I could see the water was quite clear now and didn’t really fancy it for a bite when my dad turned up for a few casts and out of the blue my rod wrapped round for the final fish at 1.28pm 6lb2oz.

2020-07-18 13.28.10.jpg

Sorry about quality of pics, was in a bit of a tight peg. Pleased to catch my first few Barbel of the year though after 2 blanks.

carphauler

I fished Arley RB today. Early bird catches the worm, although it wasn’t busy, probably due to the car park being shut.

View attachment 37864

Than one at 9,16am 7lb

View attachment 37865

Then I lost one at the net and it went quiet for a bit as the daylight appeared, albeit on a overcast day, I could see the water was quite clear now and didn’t really fancy it for a bite when my dad turned up for a few casts and out of the blue my rod wrapped round for the final fish at 1.28pm 6lb2oz.

View attachment 37866

Sorry about quality of pics, was in a bit of a tight peg. Pleased to catch my first few Barbel of the year though after 2 blanks.
Told you you would catch at Arley 😉, has Mark the farmer moved the rubble from the carpark entrance yet?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Told you you would catch at Arley 😉, has Mark the farmer moved the rubble from the carpark entrance yet?
No it's still there! :) (y) And yeah got to love Arley. I fished the second peg in the second meadow downstream RB just past the gate. Had fish from there before so fancied it for a few fish.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter

View attachment 37864

Than one at 9,16am 7lb

View attachment 37865

View attachment 37866

Awesome mate !!

carphauler

No it's still there! :) (y) And yeah got to love Arley. I fished the second peg in the second meadow downstream RB just past the gate. Had fish from there before so fancied it for a few fish.
My favourite Peg is a few down from there where the bushes start to get thick, used to be an orange bag stuck in the tree as you entered it. Screenshot_20200718-182749_Maps.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice one mate told you the early bird catches the worm! Not sure I’ve had a Severn barbel after about 10 myself lol

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Hope you are over your ailment to get back out there Pellet as your reports are always appreciated. 👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Back to Arley this evening, got there at 3pm and most pegs were taken so I had to walk a bit further down the second field, had fished down that way and blanked before, there's a bit of a deeper run down there which is where I fished this evening, not very hopeful and didn't get a bite. My dad came along at 5.30 and fished till 7.30 when he left I decided to move back to the now free peg I fished last time. Fished there till 930 and again nothing. So another blank. 4th one out of 8 sessions so my fish ratio has dropped below 2:1 with now 8 sessions and 15 fish, means I need 3 fish next time to maintain my 2:1 ratio.

pellet

Well done Zercalo, nice evening out with your dad is a bonus and the fish will come. Rivers still a bit to low for me but I plan to get out soon as I am never going to catch from home keep the reports going we love to read them and your dad loves the company.