Severn

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Got to Knowle Sands car park at 5 this morning and already full, just managed to sneak the car into the last space there. Was pouring down with rain and didn't have space for a brolly in the peg me and my dad got so a very wet day indeed. River rose almost a couple of inches in the time we were there, which was until about 1030. No fish and no one else we spoke to caught any either.

bezzer

Site Supporter
I fished Apley Estate on the BAA book Friday and it was pretty dismal. The river looked spot on, bit of colour and a decent flow. After 7 hours I'd managed 3 small Chub, biggest around a pound. 3 other guys on the bank, nobody had a Barbel, just a few small Chub.
@Zerkalo we were going to go to Knowle Sands but had seen a few reports on FB that it was busy and not fishing particularly well.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
It's seems to be the same everywhere Bezz with just the odd fish being caught.
River is always slow to switch on but this season seems to be really slow and a struggle for all.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
At least the reports on here from experienced river anglers make me feel better about my efforts! My clubs star youngster had 21 barbel to 10.4 and 2 good chub from the beach peg at Sydney Avenue last week. There's plenty of photos of the catch on the Shrewsbury Town Fisheries Facebook page, plus a comment that this is THE best peg in Shrewsbury, which doesn't sound wrong!

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
That's great to hear Dave and a once in a lifetime catch. (y)
You have a lovely bit of river there and I love this - my kind of fishing

" Sydney Avenue is NOT the place for light hooklengths and light tippy rods. The fish here fight hard and will wrap you round a snag in no time, that is assuming they don’t pull your rod in before you can grab it. Believe us, this does happen. 7 rods lost summer 2008 alone. If fishing exclusively for Barbel we recommend a heavy feeder or Avon style rod with a test curve of 1.5 to 2lbs. A range of leads and feeders in sizes from 1 to 3oz stepping up to as much as 5 oz or more when in flood. Minimum recommended hooklength B/S of 8lbs. "

WickerDave

Site Supporter
A second try at Sydney Avenue yesterday, just a short evening session until dusk. Not a touch on the barbel rod again, and only one fish on the trotting rod, a salmon parr, so another species first for me.

DSC05802.JPG

At least I saw a barbel this time, three were caught to different anglers within sight. The biggest was a 10.1 to a female angler that was being photographed as I walked back to the car, her companion had a 10.6 in the morning and then nothing from that swim until the last late one.

Last edited:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Seven hours yesterday and only four Perch all around the pound mark to show for it.
8 cars in the park when I got there at 5 and by 10 I was on my own.
All others had nothing of any note.
Nice flow,but of colour,good level and little rubbish and weed.
Very little fish movement apart from.the odd Salmon and Perch hammering the fry.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
very quiet everywhere keith, only 1 barbel out of two visits on the trent and of three outings in total. hopefully on the severn on 8th july if pup campsite open can't wait.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Least you have caught again though Paul.
It was so bad yesterday that the 18s on a light hook length went onto the blockend rig and even they didn't get a fish.
Disappointed really as needed a few small silvers for tomorrows Zander session.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
Thanks for trying to make me feel better Keith the mark of a true gent , will be fishing apley house above the Birmingham stretch for a couple of days if we get down, it's just a pleasure to be able to fish a beautiful stretch like that , although I do fish the trent every week and I know that's where the big boys live but my heart is with the Severn but it's a five hundred mile round trip for me where the trent is only two hundred and fifty. did I say only? lol Haha.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
I suppose I shouldn't moan about being 30 minutes away from my Shrewsbury club stretches then! There is no night fishing allowed though.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Bit quiet on the reporting front from you all so far this season and not surprising really as it's fishing really badly.
So bad that the numbers of rods out on my "haunts" seem to be lessening every day.
River is low,green tinge with a bit of flow on the Lower but very little fish movement and even the margin fry attacks are sporadic.
Monday's seven hour session was again Barbel free and was saved by 6 "decent" Chub and a few Perch all on the worm.
Could have been a lot better if the large Pred I had on for 10 mins ish and got to the margins hadn't finally bit through the mono.
Still some fish and a report is better than nothing.

Attachments

Last edited:

pellet

Well done Lee, a few chub is what I would expect early in the season and maybe the odd barbel here and there. The reason I have stayed away is the river is so low according to the graphs but hopefully we will get some rain soon and this boy will be out there.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Been really hard Pellet and the car park has been quieter by the day.
Been struggling for bites so much I have had to resort to the maggot blockend but even then the bites are few and far between.
Most of my fish have come to worms either on the feeder or mainly straight lead searching the swim.
We are forecast a drop this weekend so hopefully the flush out will get them on the feed.
Not back at work until the end of July so a change in fortune and conditions will see a few sessions to come.
Even our club pools have switched off now so can only put this down to the change in conditions.
Looking forward to your first report mate. (y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I fished Knowle Sands with my dad today, was first there at 4am so got the peg we wanted. Deeper there than I anticipated. Had one bite all day and I blew it, slipped over in the mud playing it and lost it.

pellet

Keep safe Zerkalo, had a really bad fall myself last year on slippery mud just took my feet from under me. Sorry you lost the fish but a lesson in peg management, take a little time when setting up to find the risks in your peg says me who went rse over tip and couldn't fish for about three weeks.

pellet

Just something to keep in mind at Knowle sands some of the opposite bank is a syndicate water and they do pre bait heavily.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks @pellet mate. Sorry to hear about your fall. The banks can be a dangerous place if we're not careful I guess. I was thinking maybe football boots would have been a good idea today lol. It was really muddy and we were on the flattest peg I've seen there in the first 3 'meadows' from the BAA carp park (haven't found the sewage works car parking area there).

You might know the peg we were on, it's the first wide and flat peg you come to walking downstream in the second 'meadow' by the wooded area. No fishing access on the far bank there, I think that must be further down towards the sewage works car park? I haven't walked that far yet but thanks for the tip. I think we were fishing with a bit of a deep hole in front of us today.

I really want to see my dad catch a Barbel so thinking long and hard about where we can go and share a peg and get him one next time lol.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
talking about slipping on the muddy banks have a look at the crampon boot spikes on ebay and can get them for 10 pounds plus, fits over the boots and we'll worth the money my mate and I use them all the time on the steep banks of the trent and must cut the slip rate by ninety percent

pellet

Zerkalo go past the ship pub into eardington and just ss you are coming out around the bend there is a farm entrance to the house, just past this is another entrance to the fields opposite is the nature entrance . Turn into the field lane on your left and you will see a set of farm gates the BAA is shown code on gate which is on your license in red follow the road quite a distance until you come to a little wooded area sharp left at bottom park there and the river is straight ahead to the campsite on the opposite bank.