Severn

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looks nice! I’m hoping come maybe September/October campsites will be open and it’s safe enough to use them so I can get back on the Severn for a few days.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Looks nice! I’m hoping come maybe September/October campsites will be open and it’s safe enough to use them so I can get back on the Severn for a few days.

My parents have considered a campsite or caravan park on the Severn as they just like camping even though it's not far from home and we're always looking for places with a river on site.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Is nice camping by a river, straight out of bed and onto the bank to fish as long or as little time as you want as can always go back later.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
We used to go to Evesham as a kid but that was when I was too young for proper fishing. Unfortunately this year so far we’ve booked somewhere in Dorset that’s too far from the Stour but someone has recommended a nice looking reservoir 30 mins from where we are staying, and also Tewkesbury which my mom said was on a river but turns out to just have a lake on the campsite, might be close to the Severn or Avon there though not quite the same as having a river onsite. I noticed at Newhalls Meadow at Stourport the BAA section runs out when you reach a campsite, looked like nice pegs too.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I went to Tewksbury last year but not for fishing. Funny place half really nice old buildings and half a bit run down more modern buildings but yes the Avon is right there and the Severn not far away. And yeah theres quite a few places to camp on the Severn, tbh same with the other big rivers like Thames, Wye, Avon and Ouse. Just need to tick the Trent off as well.

bezzer

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo Knowle Sands is where I'll be first week of the season. We're planning on fishing either meadow 3 or 4 and will be parking by the sewage works. I hear they call the hill back up to the car park you were in 'Cardiac Hill' :LOL:
The picture has certainly whetted my appetite....

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo Knowle Sands is where I'll be first week of the season. We're planning on fishing either meadow 3 or 4 and will be parking by the sewage works. I hear they call the hill back up to the car park you were in 'Cardiac Hill' :LOL:
The picture has certainly whetted my appetite....
We did drive along to Eardington to try to find the turn for the Sewage Works afterwards and saw a potential lane it could be down but didn’t try it, probably was already worn out after that hill. :ROFLMAO: Good luck there though, I might be there with my dad around the same time!

Northantslad

'Any indications?
And in 4 months the river has gone from record highs to on its bones again, just hoping that sufficient gravels have had some water on them to help spawning.

adriang

Site Supporter
We used to go to Evesham as a kid but that was when I was too young for proper fishing. Unfortunately this year so far we’ve booked somewhere in Dorset that’s too far from the Stour but someone has recommended a nice looking reservoir 30 mins from where we are staying, and also Tewkesbury which my mom said was on a river but turns out to just have a lake on the campsite, might be close to the Severn or Avon there though not quite the same as having a river onsite. I noticed at Newhalls Meadow at Stourport the BAA section runs out when you reach a campsite, looked like nice pegs too.
Tewkesbury also has something called the 'Mill Avon' which is almost like a canal. Not fished it for years, but my best mate used to get some amazing bags of roach on tares.

Some interesting stretches of the lower Severn, there is a pub called the Red Lion at a place called Wainloads (not sure if thats the exact spelling). A club I used to be involved in used to have a couple of fields above it. I ran a few matches there, some good bags of skimmers to be caught on the waggler from what I remember. You used to be able to fish by the pub, a big sweeping bend, lovely for days trotting.

Curlew

Site Supporter
Well, that's the first blank of the season out of the way for me !

bezzer

Site Supporter
I'm all set to hit the Severn on Friday, can't say I'm full of confidence.

Read on FB that a chap had cycled from Blackstone up to Arley on the Severn Way, and all the anglers he spoke to were blanking.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
There were a couple of barbel reported on Facebook from the Shrewsbury stretches yesterday, a 13.14 at Monkmoor and an 11 at Sydney Avenue.

Last edited:

bezzer

Site Supporter
@WickerDave I saw the picture of the one from Sydney Avenue. Looked like it came off the Beach peg. Nice fish.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Five hours this morning and all I had to show was a few bits that thought they were Barbel.
Most struggled yesterday and only a couple of small Barbel caught,two of the same guys fished today and both started & packed up same time as me
One fish between them but it was a 15lb Mirror on the corn which for our stretch is extremely rare.
River rose a foot since yesterday and was still coming up a bit,had a green tinge,nice flow but so much weed coming down - it was just like the old days,so not a bad thing really.
Even the Perch which normally show in the margins were absent today and I can't remember the last time I never had a bite using worm.
Used a few of the bits early on for a dawn Zander but nothing.

Lots of Salmon leaping and although the catch/netting reports show a decline we keep seeing more and more jumping every season - all very strange.
If the weather settles for a while it might fish well but as always,patchy the start of the season.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
My first ever Severn fish this afternoon at Sydney Avenue was as tough as I expected. The cloud cover when the swim picture was taken was soon replaced with bright sunshine. Not a touch on the barbel rod and a struggle to get much on the float rod too, with about a dozen minnows and 7 of the smallest chub I've ever caught, that's the biggest pictured!

DSC05777.jpg

DSC05783.jpg

WickerDave

Site Supporter
@WickerDave I saw the picture of the one from Sydney Avenue. Looked like it came off the Beach peg. Nice fish.
Yes, I should have taken more notice of the swim, but I'd never seen the stretch before today! The 13.14 is on the Shrewsbury Town Fisheries Facebook page too, but it's not a very good photo.