Severn

pellet

No sign of barbell anywhere along barbell alley,
tough going at the minute and only dace showing.
What has happened to the barbell in this once hot spot.

Dslayer

dslayer
Well, those large metal balls on the ends of a cylindrical pole - ie the barbells much loved by circus strongmen - were never in BARBEL Alley in great numbers at any time to be honest......

tunna

pellet, which stretches are you / have you been fishing. think the Severn needs a good flush through. i've found the faster shallower stretches are throwing a few up ATM, Struggled at the Danery and Appley. They're having a few around Bewdley on KDAA and Willow creek waters. The 3 Day Bewdley festival threw a few up last week, from the noted pegs.

pellet

Cheers tunna
have been fishing arley,hampton load,quatford,appley, northwood lane,ribbesford,have had chub and eels with plenty off dace. Was about to start fishing kda waters in desperation having seen plenty of anglers on the bank going through the same barbel blank as I am . Was also concerned about how low the severn is lately and how quickly any extra water runs off.

botallackranger

l holidayed in Bewdley this time las year , same conditions , low and clear . Nobody was catching Barbel on the usual methods , pellet / feeder etc . I struggled as well tried caster , hemp , maggots and just caught small stuff . I caught 21 Barbel over the ( week<when I wasn't in the pub) all on trotted meat in shallow fast water early in the morning or evening . turned up at Arley one afternoon just as a BAA match was finishing it was won with 5lb of bits , not one Barbel caught ! I got into the water just below "the island " and trotted meat in fast water under far bank trees and had a Barbel first cast and then 7 more until it got dark ......I am sure they are still there ! .....Just an idea.

pellet

Thanks botallackranger will give your method a go the weekend,have mainly fished with meat in many different styles and methods and watched ,spoken to numerous anglers who are finding it tough going at the moment.

tunna

some big roach coming out the Severn, on 6-8mm pellets on feeder, i've had 5 yet between 1.8lb up to 2lb 4oz.

pellet

Well done tunna , my mate had a few large perch around the 2lb mark at the weekend

pellet

Managed a couple of barbell last night, but still very hard going with fish only showing at dusk.

tunna

Originally posted by baz-65

where you catching the big roach from, Tunna
Apley, Hampton Loade, and Brooke section this season Baz. But they are all through the middle Severn, we had them last season from several other venues.

Last edited:

tunna

Originally posted by pellet

Managed a couple of barbell last night, but still very hard going with fish only showing at dusk.
Nice one Pellet. was hoping that drop of rain last week would have livened them up a bit

pellet

Three more barbel last night + small chub, worst storm I have ever been caught in and had to sit it out under a useless brolly that I clung to for dear life.Night time seems to be the only chance of getting fish with a couple of 5lb ers and one about 8lb all on pellet and good fighting fish

pellet

Another blank to the list and generally just the odd barbell caught by fellow anglers on the stretch, all that are caught seem to be about the 5lb-6lb stamp. Chatting to people on the bank we are wondering why the 2-3lbs are not showing or if this river gets restocked and by who.

pellet

Two barbell tonight in very fast water, what a fight from 5-6lbs fish.

pellet

Another blank last night along with all the other guys on the bank,seems to need the extra water we had last week and as soon as the river is low the going gets tough. Only managed to get slayer in the net.

pellet

Blanked Saturday with fish topping but not feeding,out again Tuesday for one small barbell about 2lb and river looking quite low.

pellet

Two further blanks this week, only the occasional barbel being caught on stretches of the severn. Fish numbers seem to have disappeared on this river[:H]