Self employed and Coronavirus

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Can this be right? Someone on £30k a year gets a £24k salary from the government during the #CoronaCrisis. But a #selfemployed person gets just £94 a week, which would be £4,800 a year.

1584793345399.png

Kev86

It stinks Wise, my daughter is self employed and when she told me I was disgusted.

Kev

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Ya know summat an all no wonder ya get a lot of em asking for cash in hand because this shows when push comes to shove we get tret like Sh't.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Well now i Know this im Gonna have to work, even through Lockdown if it happens and if i get arrested they will have to Jail me which will cost em well more than £98 a week. Fk em

Stealth

Tell me how to qualify for £94 a week?

The only benefit I can see that I'm eligible for is universal credit but ruled out because of the savings cap of £16k

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Works out about £13.50 a day id rather beg on the streets than be insulted into tekkin that, but ya can bet yer Knackers my tax and NI will be due and paid for in April or i'll be prosecuted.

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The fair amount would have been the equivalent of the personal tax allowance or based on the past year' tax return.

It stinks, a kick in the ****** for all the hard working self employed, some of whom set up on the government's encouragement.

Told you before Wise Owl, there's only one person that the self employed should rely upon, and thats themselves.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Can this be right? Someone on £30k a year gets a £24k salary from the government during the #CoronaCrisis. But a #selfemployed person gets just £94 a week, which would be £4,800 a year.

View attachment 28546

I'm in the same boat, was talking to someone about this very thing this morning

I work on various sites throughout the UK, currently working on a site at Alsop Le Dale near Ashbourne and its likely that next week could be our last for a while, my tax is deducted at source via UTR payments but if and when the site shuts I'm likely to get the grand sum of equivalent sick money for however weeks we're stopped from working

Can't be right when someone who never takes time off and pays tax deducted at source gets the grand sum of naff all compared to 80% wages subsidised by the govt

spark1

Site Supporter
Forgot about UTR Number/CIS deductions for a minute, employment rights/law are difference to Tax laws. In other words because you have a UTR and are stopped CIS does Not always mean you are Self Employed.

Its been proven through the courts and tribunals and companies have had to cough up holiday pay etc. Do some research.

spark1

Site Supporter
9 Mar An Employment Tribunal has thrown into question the status of construction industry contractors in a ruling finding that two contractors were in fact employees and should therefore be afforded the protections open to all employed staff.
Creative Commons [alphastockimages.com]
According to law firm Collyer Bristow, the decision could have a significant and costly impact on the construction industry.
The case – Harris and Kearny v Excel Brickworks Ltd – examined the employment status of two men, Mr Harris working as a site foreman and his son, Mr Kearny, a bricklayer. The foreman had worked for the company for 17 years, and the bricklayer for less than a year. Both had signed a ‘self-employed contract for services’ and were subsequently dismissed without notice.
The building company, Excel, argued that the claimants were self-employed and sought to rely on the contract that stated they could work if and when they so decided, refuse work, use their own working methods, leave site without permission and send a substitute with similar experience and qualifications to carry out the work.
The Employment Tribunal considered the facts and determined that, in reality, none of the above ever happened and that Excel would not have agreed to Mr Harris or Mr Kearny exercising these rights under the contract. As such, regardless of the wording of the contract, in reality the relationship was one of employer and employee with the statutory benefits that arise as a result.
Tania Goodman, partner and head of employment at Collyer Bristow, said: “The Tribunal was asked to determine whether they were, as the contract suggested, subcontractors and able to choose their hours or refuse work, or whether they were employees being directed and controlled by Excel. The judge ruled that there were in fact employees based on their actual working practices rather than those set out in the contract.
“Around half of the country’s construction workers are classified as self-employed. This status is already under HMRC’s spotlight with the reform of IR35 taxation regime, and also with recent question marks around the legitimacy of self-employed status under the ‘gig economy’.
“This case demonstrates that simply badging an employee as a ‘contractor’ or ‘self-employed’ does not guarantee that a tribunal or court will accept this description at face value but rather will look into the reality of the working relationship and day to day practices.”
She continued: “Employers must therefore be able to show that to be truly self-employed contractors can satisfy some or all of the tests with the necessary autonomy to decide their working hours, patterns and methods and being able to send a suitably qualified substitute. If these are tests are not satisfied then they are likely to be workers or employees and, depending on their status, qualify for sick pay and holiday pay and, as employees, after two years’ service gain protection from unfair dismissal. This could add significant costs to an employer’s wage bill, and with construction projects so keenly priced may raise concerns over viability.”
This is a first instance decision and given the implications it is expected to be appealed.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Forgot about UTR Number/CIS deductions for a minute, employment rights/law are difference to Tax laws. In other words because you have a UTR and are stopped CIS does Not always mean you are Self Employed.

Its been proven through the courts and tribunals and companies have had to cough up holiday pay etc. Do some research.
Subbing direct to the main contractor on this one but normally its short term contracts with various multiple main contractors so it doesnt apply to me

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I agree with what everyone has said so far and I am with you in you are not getting any support yet (my lad is a selfie and has just been informed that there is no work for him from Monday)
The reason the government are paying up to 80% is if they didn't businesses would be forced to lay off employees and that then puts a lot of companies at risk. This would then put additional long term strain on the DWP system and it's a case of at the moment this is the best they can come up with for damage limitation.
One thing those employed and at risk can be certain of is their job security if it is still there will come at a cost and businesses will not be offering pay rises of note or at all for a very long time. A trade off only the insane would reject.

spark1

Site Supporter
Like many I've had to find work for the past 30 odd years and the amount of people who claim for bullsh*t expenses to keep the Tax bill down etc maybe that just ruins it for the genuine people and is that why the support is minimal because people have been keeping plenty back over the years, so now use it for the rainy days ahead ? Who Knows

Last edited:

trotter2

Self employed shafted again just like the sick pay,bugger all. Your on your own again.

spark1

Site Supporter
Subbing direct to the main contractor on this one but normally its short term contracts with various multiple main contractors so it doesnt apply to me
Normally anyone on UTR/CIS deductions over 3 months for the same company could be on for holiday pay etc

Reactions: me

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
A lot of the self employed I work with put nothing aside for a rainy day, week or month. Despite doing lots of hours and having favourable tax treatment compared to PAYE employees.

We are fortunate enough to still have work as key workers, I wonder if it will force some of them to start putting money aside for a rainy day / accident / illness etc. Can only rely on one Mon and that’s me.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Similar position as a contract design engineer however, I work through an umbrella company will have to ring them on Monday to find out what is what.
Yesterday I was told I’m on three days a week how long that will last I’m not sure. Currently the bank account is healthy so I could stand it for a while.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
I can see the work i can see the money, its now a case of will i be allowed to do and earn it.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Well now i Know this im Gonna have to work, even through Lockdown if it happens and if i get arrested they will have to Jail me which will cost em well more than £98 a week. Fk em
I hope I'm in the same cell mate 👍

I am so so lucky to have retired now. Good luck to all you self employed guys out there. Having had 32 years of self employment I know how hard it can be. I think I've had more sleepless nights worrying about how I'm going to pay my guys or wholesalers than I've had good night's sleep. Working for yourself is a 24/7 job. You never switch off. Good luck guys. 👍