Seen what I think is a record dace.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Hmmm...

From Anglers Mail,

In one of the most bizarre emails ever sent to Angler’s Mail, a person claiming to be ‘Dace Master’ said he wanted zero publicity and wouldn’t be claiming a new record for this fish he or she says is 1 lb 6 oz.

The email said: “I just thought it would be nice to share this truly magnificent creature with your readers. A stunning beast, I think you will agree. Recently caught from a Nene tributary, trotting a natural bait.

“Using the matchbox for scale you can probably work out that the fish is approximately 25 cm long, 7 cm deep and was 4-5 cm wide. Please, do not contact me back as I will not reply. I just wanted to ensure that everyone who goes fishing can appreciate what a true leviathan this fish is. Thank you for your time.”

Sorry, but if it was me that caught a record, I would claim it and make sure I got as many details of the fish that I could. Not just a photo, but length, width and depth, and a couple of scales as well. Approximations are no good.

62tucker

Site Supporter
My cousin catches record fish every time he goes fishing. When I see him he always boast of 6lb roach. Massive barbel etc. I was once fishing with him on holidays at Yorkshire and he caught a canny carp. But was on opposite side of a canal type lake. So I sent my son over with my scales. 23lb he shouted over. Funny as scales on go to 20lb. So they went round once and then to 3. 13 lb. lying twit

carphauler

Sounds like a bloke I used to sometimes pleasure fish near on a local commie, screaming it's got to be 30lb as he netted it, carried on, I shouted over, do you want some scales? It was 17lb.

Davethedace

I would be proud to break the dace record and most certainly claim it.i have done some research on dace,there are two shapes of dace longer and slender(they will never break the record)and the bigger belly shape like mine and the other picture in the thread.

Silverfisher

Dace have really grown on me in the last few years as I've fished more places with bigger numbers of them to the point they are probably only behind roach and perch as one of my favourite species. Not had them big enough to weigh, guess my PB would be 10-11oz, but they such a nice looking, spirited fish that respond well to a number of enjoyable methods usually in nice surroundings.

rudd

Caught a 1lb 1oz dace last year.been river walking fish spotting and think I have seen the record dace so going to have a go at breaking the record.so watch this space.
River Glen?
Ironically Mr Wilson wrote about big Dace in two small rivers near another town called Thetford On Norfolk/Suffolk border

Rick123

One of the rivers Mr Wilson use to fish was the Tudd in Norfolk. During the time the big roach were being caught on the Wensum we also fished the Tudd for it's big Dace. I had several pound fish, but they were exceptional and it was never repeated. Most were caught trotting with the odd big roach thrown in. Sadly at the time weigh scales were not very accurate, and while I know I had a pound fish or two, an ounce or two in those days was difficult to get 100% accurate. Those of you at a certain age will know the Avon scales were much better on bigger fish, nowadays with digital we cannot lie to ourselves regardless of how much we try?:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: Rich.

Rick123

I might add to if you didn't tell me it was a Dace I might have suggested hybrid with that tale? Not sour grapes but it does look an odd shape for a big Dace don't you think?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Looks more like an Ide in that shot ...years ago we used to catch Dace in the River Eden at Carlisle around the 1lb mark often enough to not notice but they never had mouths that big but like you find small mouthed eels and large mouthed eels I suppose it could be possible.

Dusty Rhodes

I've had some cracking Dace from a tiny local river in the last year or so, some of them around 3/4lb. All of them have taken breadflake on a size 12!

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
The ones who have a couple while your asleep night fishing are the best, but didn’t photo em cos they weren’t that big 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
There are many books and fish identification websites but most identification is based on fin position and ray count or scale counts then more detailed internal investigation which requires the fish to be killed ...Schindlers guide to freshwater fish covers all European species in great detail.

nejohn

I was lucky enough to be fishing a couple of pegs upstream when the current record dace was caught from the river wear in Durham, it looked huge and was much deeper bodied than the normal run of dace we were catching at the time, there were lots of big dace (10oz +) being caught around the city but this fish was something else, it certainly looked heavier than the one in the picture