Security?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
shoot em inna face....!

Sportsman

I agree withMartin22. If they are armed and want to rob you, I would let them. Are you really prepared to die for a fishing rod?
I would also be cautious about the weapons, unless you have been trained to use them in a combat situation. They can very easily be taken from you and used against you. If you try to stab someone and fail, you would be in a lot more serious trouble than you might have been.

Broadland Peter

Has the world really turned as sour as some of you seem to suggest?
Maybe I am just lucky, I fish the Broads and Rivers of Norfolk & Suffolk, in almost seventy years of angling I have yet to encounter any such threats.
What would I do if I did? Not much I suppose! A whistle might alert nearby folk who might be minded to wade in and help me. Violence is probably not the answer.

ClydeBuilt

In some places Pete...yes!
Obviously not everywhere and its probably more of an 'urban' problem than some of the nice places we frequent.
But its not unknown these days and sad to say prob more more for entertainment than 'gain'.
An idea I did come up with was to use of my GoPro cameras, suitably cammed up and not right where Im sitting, at least then the police might have something other than my gibbering after the fact.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Motion activated trail cameras? Finished in camo of course. Cheap enough these days.

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
I see this is an old thread but has attracted recent comments . Its very sad that people have to worry about this type of thing at all but it seems sitting quietly on a bank somewhere doesn't remove the threats we all have around us these days . In truth I think the risk is very minimal . Social media means everyone gets to hear about every incident which breeds fear in everybody although the likelihood of it happening remains tiny . Its a bit like the fact we are all incredibly wary these days of letting our kids play out more than ten yards from our gate or letting them walk home from school alone due to the perceived increased threat from those who would abduct harm or murder them The truth is such crimes against children have hardly risen at all in prevalence over the last 30 or 40 years and most of us here I am sure roamed far and wide playing out as kids and walked often significant distance to school without an adult and without incident.
In any case I have to agree with what one or two others here have said here ... your gear is not worth your life so if the threat looked serious let the assholes take it . I am able bodied currently and have a dubious temper unfortunately so would find it difficult to practice what I preach especially with access to the usual weaponry lying around on the bank as part of our sport...... nevertheless I do believe the best advice .. and the advice I have always given my wife and kids .... is if you are being mugged for phone/money /whatever ... give it to the perpetrator do not get into a violent confrontation if you can possibly avoid it ... no goods are worth serious injury or worse.