Security?

Never gave it any thought till recently, but what do you do as an angler when some tit decides you have your gear off you knowing full well you cant do much or even just run after him?

In the past, a bit of snarling and sweary-words did the trick and only once did it come to blows. Its amazing the effect of having a rod wrapped around yer nut, has on the desire to be a bad boy. Plan A is always to discretely bugger off into the sunset unharmed, with a spot of wilfull vandalism in the car park should it become available.

Ideas?

ukzero1

Gorrenny spare tackle for mi maggits Mister?
Site Supporter
A sharpened arrowhead bankstick, a machete in plain view (well, it's there to cut up some luncheon meat officer).

Seriously though, have a fishing buddy with you.

I was happy on my tod for years in all sorts of hobbies, but had a regular 'mob' when it came to the fishing until fairly recently mate.
Grandkids, age and ill health seem to have taken care of all them.

Give up?.....never!

T.I

Site Supporter
Get a dog? May limit venues but seems sensible if your situation allows.

groundhog

Life Survivor
Site Supporter
I was quite happily sitting bagging up,when a voice said giss your money or I'll stab yer, I looked round to see a kid no older than 6 or 7 with a sheath knife of about 8 inches,
I said to him "you will stab me with what?" This he said waving the knife around, Leaning forward I picked up my 4 foot long home made heavy steel rod rest and said to.him " Go on then Son you stab me with that, and I'll stab you with this", waving the point of the rod rest right under his nose, he suddenly lost all interest in stabbing me or even talking to me , and scarpered as fast as he could, the one good thing about fishing is there are usually a number of long sharp heavy objects laying around close to.hand if you should need a weapon to defend yourself, Last toe rag that tried to theive of me while I was fishing, suddenly found himself up.to his neck in the river, don't know where he came from or where he went to.after he climbed out well downstream but he did not bother coming back afterwards.

My Jack Russell is more of trip hazard and tends to view the fishing gear as a communal playground, I tend to leave him at home these days.
I dont have anything bigger than a Leatherman on me most of the time nowadays, Im well aware that a smack is less likely to kill than a swipe...if you get my meaning? Just had a thought....wonder what the effect of a pint of maggots in the puss would be?

ukzero1

Gorrenny spare tackle for mi maggits Mister?
Site Supporter
A sharpened arrowpoint bankstick makes them think twice. ;) :whistle:

martin22

Site Supporter
can honestly say ive never had any sort of instances where someones tried to rob my tackle,not saying it doesnt happen as weve all heard stories,
personally id say prevention is better than the cure as in choose where to fish where theres less chance of being in that situation,and again personally if someone pulled a knife on me to rob my tackle id probably just let them take it,its only fishing tackle it can be replaced,your life cant and if someones desperate enough to hold you up at knife point there probably desperate enough to use it
and lets face it todays justice system youd probably find yourself banged up for defending yourself and the knife wielding desperado would be painted as the victem :mad:

Spotted the very thing in a large retail store, the kind that do all sorts from canoes to horse riding.

A jockeys whip? Short covered shaft and a flap of stiff leather at the end?
Can you imagine the effect on some mouthy oick, as you rattle his butt and/or upper thighs with that a few times?? No real damage other than slight bruising he picked up as fell down a few times ossifer!

Fortunately I'm not disabled, but I've long worried about this as most of the time I fish on my own. Anglers cars are fairly recognisable, do you go somewhere where there is unlikely to be anybody else (my personal preference), or somewhere more public, where there is more hassle, but more chance of help if it all goes wrong. There are several places, I would have fished with no worries years ago, that I won't go near now, and others that I fish with a minimal amount of kit, while my good stuff is safe(?) at home. It's a sad state of the times that a somebodys tackle/wallet/tools is seen as just another fix.

stephanie

while the big sharp pointy stick sounds good make sure to have a rod rest screwed in the back so it looks like its been pulled from the bank just having it laid there would in the eyes of the law be seen as premeditation and could leave you open to prosecution