Saturday thinking .... :)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just a thought on a wet Saturday morning... I can make a simple change to the software so that when a member's name is used in a post they receive a notification to say they've been mentioned - exactly the same as is present where the @ symbol is put before their name.
With this change no symbol would be required, therefore, writing Dave would notify me that someone mentioned me compared to the present @Dave

Is this something that people would prefer?

The only downside I can foresee is that everytime someone types lol within their post, member @Lol would receive a notification, possibly into the hundreds per day lol :LOL::ROFLMAO:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
There is another downside Dave, How many 'Dave's' are members? For example..if I mentioned or made comment for/at you, how many other Dave's will receive it?
To be honest, I'm happy 'as is'.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As far as I know ukzero there is only one membername 'Dave'

However if someone was to post about Dave Harrel for instance, I would get a notification so there is a downside, hmmm

Lol @ Kevin's post :D

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
Typing @ is hardly the hardest thing, don’t fix what ain’t broke.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Haha, I did that at 5:00 am this morning when making a few changes to the site and database, then thought I'd broken it :eek:

It turned out to be Firefox on my PC caching a script :D

Scribe

Site Supporter
Don't do it @Dave, after all people might be talking about you on a thread and you might not like what you read. :devilish::LOL:

sagalout

Site Supporter
Just think how many notifications @Lol would get from this thread alone, lol. People might start putting lol everywhere just to wind up @Lol, lol.

Lol

Account Closed
Site Supporter
Me get wound up? Never 😉
Can't wait to meet one or two in the flesh.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Don't do it Dave. I think certain users would get bombarded... and I might have to change my username to 'it', 'to' or 'the'...

On a side note, if someone included a user name in their signature would it fire off a notification every time they posted?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Lol, I'm not going to do it, it's just a thought I had early this morning :D

Re the second part of your post spanky, I'm not sure

sagalout

Site Supporter
So which lol was that Dave, was it lol the user or lol the acronym?