Same People Winning

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
prep, experience, knowledge, strategy, desire all contribute however.....

You can be the best of the best but workrate will be your undoing unless you really commit.

davylad

Site Supporter
1. Knowing when and how to feed. Although presentation is important, if you can get your feeding right, they'll have it. 2. Knowing what works best for you at the venue you're fishing. 3. Fishing matches where the competition isn't as good as at other venues. (There's a few of those about) I reckon you can graft all you like, but it isn't about looking good, it's what you weigh in.

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
I watch the Jamie Hughes and Andy May videos on YouTube and the thought process these lads use is brilliant. How to feed, what to feed, where to feed, how much to feed, what depth of water to look for, shallow, bottom there’s just so much to take in to account and the top anglers do it second nature

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
1. Knowing when and how to feed. Although presentation is important, if you can get your feeding right, they'll have it. 2. Knowing what works best for you at the venue you're fishing. 3. Fishing matches where the competition isn't as good as at other venues. (There's a few of those about) I reckon you can graft all you like, but it isn't about looking good, it's what you weigh in.
Am not sure I understand the end of this comment ? But i do know that if you don't work (graft) you definitely will not get the result. its ok being best in the world at working out what the fish want but if you are fishing (say) the waggler but they want it shallow on the pole and you don't bother to change...or maybe need to knock up some extra bait but cant be arsed..... etc etc etc

Gwillim

Knowledge - knowing the water and what to take with you
Feeding - knowing what to feed, when, how much and where
Practice - efficiency gives more time, more time in the water gives more fish
Decision making - when to change lines, baits, feeding, method
Commitment - as the level of this determines how much of the above you acquire
sometimes just dedicating the time to go and watch others who are at the top of their game and see how they do things can change things dramatically for you

jononcb

Definately lots of variables.......
Do your homework on a venue so you know what species to target.
Rigs correct float sizes and line diameters and elastic sizes to optimise bites.
Fresh premium bait always a must.
Feeding is always critical as you can kill a peg by overfeeding it for sure.

Decision making during the match is a biggie.

What lines to feed and where etc.

Take my (team) match last Saturday at Springvale.

Weighed in 57lb for only a 4th in section out of 6 (ouch).
There was a 60lb, 61lb and a 64lb of silvers, so a very close section.
My 57lb was mainly Ide caught shallow.
I came off them last hour to target carp down the margin. Didn't get one unfortunately.
If I had carried on catching Ide I would of caught another 10lb of them for sure!!
And won the section......
Fine margins and all that though!!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
not long Back, there was a local bloke, well he was essex and he fished matches at a well known essex venue that a lot of very good anglers fished to

you never seen the like of the fella, his kit was a joke really, he set up a shortish rod with a reel loaded with line with elastic on the end, you had never seen owt like it, sat on an upturned beer crate, his groundbait was in an old washing up bowl

he looked so rough, proper trampy, the rest of the venue regulars nicknamed him "The Farmer"

well pretty near every match he booked on, he won, and not just won, proper battered the opposition

his GB sorta turned the water milky white when he fed it, and no one could get a look at it, he covered it when anyone got close, only ever saying, when others enquired or demanded a look, that it was legal and called "Cows lick"

even the owner of the venue or the baliff couldnt get the recipe of the mix of him

In the end he got banned from the venue, mainly because he won all the time, not because he was breaking any rules, it was a bit of jealousy more than owt else

aint seen or heard of him since

Total

Site Supporter
@mickthechippy ......He always appeared from the ' Wilderness' when the weather improved, and disappeared after the first frosts....Canny man!.....He loves a load of corn and buppy! Nothing changes.....:giggle:

Newlease

Site Supporter
I was told his wife was a vet, and there was a secret ingredient added to his ground bait. Apparently he wouldn’t divulge the secret formula to the owner and got banned.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
I was told his wife was a vet, and there was a secret ingredient added to his ground bait. Apparently he wouldn’t divulge the secret formula to the owner and got banned.
think it was more that the regulars wound the owner up until a reason (the GB mix) was invented for banning him

azt1

Site Supporter
Anyone know the "farmers" real name? No? Well there's a surprise.
No one has mentioned luck of the draw contributing to the same people winning all the time and in my very humble opinion it is that luck which accounts for 90% of the reason for their success.
For three years I travelled with a very successful open match angler to various Herts venue s and in that time he almost always drew renowned legs and it used to drive me mad! Peg 12 or 17 at Magic, peg 40 or 42 at Greensands, peg 1 at Alders I could go on but it is much too painful to.
Meantime I drew the odd decent peg but mainly poor ones. That is honest fact and even my ex travelling partner would agree. As a result he is perceived as a good angler as opposed to poor old me who is probably seen as average. I have to say that he is a better angler than myself but he has learned a lot because he draws so well.
So many of us fish the same few venues week in and week out that sometimes I think the main difference between the top anglers and the rest is the fact that the top anglers draw better consistently.
Goodnight and sleep tight from me and Mr Daniels.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
pretty sure the Farmers name is Andrew Farley

and according to scuttlebutt, hes still using the same gear and the beer crate, fishing various venues and still winning or framing

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I think most of the reasons have been stated. It probably boils down to the saying "The more I practice the luckier I get". Other versions also contribute. "The more I know the luckier I get", "“People make their own luck by putting out everything they’ve got, and the more they put out, the more luck they have.”

It was no coincidence I think that my results improved after a couple of things happening. The first was retiring and being able to go fishing more often. The second was paying more attention to the small things such as tying loops consistent sizes through the use of a loop sizer, taking time to plumb up accurately and around the swim and shotting floats precisely. Third was simplifying my tackle, rigs & bait.

There was also my gradual switch to fishing commercials almost exclusively and learning how I fished them best and not trying to copy others.

One story explains it well. A few years ago I framed in a club match, when asked by another member how I caught I explained that I found I had to bury the hook in the expander pellet by using a baiting needle to pull the hook into it. The reply I got sums it up "I couldn't be arsed to do that". Needless to say he rarely frames.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Most of my time on the bank is spent tinkering with this, that or the other, always looking to improve. After all, if anglers didn't make these slight adjustments we would all be the same. I'm thinking of the angler who first used a hair rig and how much time was spent working that out? how was 4 inch worked out to be the optimum? So many innovations in angling have come about just by spending time tinkering/adjusting. But like most people, we look at something so simple that we end up thinking to ourselves...why didn't I think of that? the quick-stop for example, I suppose that's the difference between anglers thinking, and thinking anglers. It's the thinking anglers that are at the top of their tree.

Last edited: