Ruff?.. Little Zander?

ukzero1

Gorrenny spare tackle for mi maggits Mister?
Site Supporter
When caught, I thought this was a Ruff, but looking at the dorsal I'm not so sure. Could this be a small Zander? If so, our club waters have a problem.
What do you think?

Yuccaman

Jack of all trades...
Staff member
Site Supporter
99.9% sure that's a ruffe. Zander have a more definite separation before the 2nd dorsal, and the short ray at the front of the dorsal is also found on ruffe, not zander.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Thanks for the info on that, I wasn't quite sure. The club will be pleased as well. [:T]

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I claim no skill in catching it. I was using a Method feeder for skimmers/bream and this thing managed to get itself foulhooked under the jaw. It did not fight and came in as a dead weight. I landed it by standing in the water and lifting it out in my arms.

If its of interest the lake is in France and is the one I am fishing in my profile picture.

does anyone know anywhere in south yorkshire that have ruffe?
iv never caught one always wanted to but now iv started the angling times challenge i really want one!

thanks mate, thats a big help, not too far either, i had a feeling a canal would be my best bet but there is no info about ruffe cates online haha

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
thanks mate, thats a big help, not too far either, i had a feeling a canal would be my best bet but there is no info about ruffe cates online haha
Hi Bushcrapping.

I can go get you a bucket full from my local new junction canal. Fish a groundbait feeder with chopped worm both in the crumb and on the hook. Tip the hook with a fluoro pinkie. You won't fail. Not as common as the Tommy but, you'll probably catch the odd Miller's thumb ( bullhead ) also. It's getting a tad late now but, spring time, they are a nuisance when fishing for bream. Aim for Sykehouse lock on the new junction canal. Good luck

Simon R

Site Supporter
Used to get 'em in the Ouse years ago - chuck a lobby tail out on the bomb and wind in every ten minutes to see if one's hung itself.

Simon

ukzero1

Site Supporter
That's what happened with this one, I was after perch. :whistle:

matchstickman25

Ruffe have a single dorsal (or two that are joined).

First thing I checked when I used to catch grey/purple perch as a kid.

Still not got to the bottom of that mystery.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
The thing is, these are not stocked in our club waters, so it's baffling as to how it got in there.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Ruffe spawn like Perch spawn is slightly sticky so it could be moved by waterfowl but the usual thing is that it is introduced by people moving aquatic plants between venues.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Fishing Talk 32
M Species Specific 8
K Fishing Talk 23
H Fishing Talk 10
daman Species Specific 13