Rubbish Quality Tackle

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
I had to make my own cutter for use in Ireland after buying one of the cheap ones. I joined an old carving knife blade to a 3/8s bolt. No chance of it bending and it only need sharpening once a year with an oil stone. It's mounted on a 3.3m landing net handle and is in my roof box. Off to Ireland tomorrow!

P_C

You'll probably find the one from Aliexpress is made from the same stuff in the same factory!!
Possibly, although it looks proper. Cost was small so we'll see, I'll report back in a few weeks when it shows up.
I remember seeing and old fella on the river a few years back fishing in one of the seriously overgrown stretches, there was that much weed you couldn't see the water but he'd got an extralarge extending bankstick (extended from 4ft to 8ft ) and on the end he had a sickle.

He had obviously spent some time working on it because he had stripped the handle off it, thinned the tang down and then threaded it so it screwed into the bankstick with a nut on it to tighten against the bankstick so it wouldn't come undone...he was clearing a really nice area to fish in with it!
Sounds good! Though I really just want something that will fit in the box and clear the odd reed stem. If this aliexpress one doesn't work out I might get one made up.

Spadger123

Go on Todber Manor website and order the Colmic weedcutter, ive had mine for 12 months and cut some serious stems with it.
Never had a problem with it.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Go on Todber Manor website and order the Colmic weedcutter, ive had mine for 12 months and cut some serious stems with it.
Never had a problem with it.
It's no longer in stock.

Corn Master

Site Supporter
Regarding the Browning cutter, I have found one other review about it:

PURCHASED ONE RECENTLY AND IT FRACTURED THE BLADE IN THE AREA WHERE THE SERRATED EDGES START ON THE THE FIRST DAY OF USE. I ACCEPT THAT I WAS CUTTING THICK REEDS CLOSE TO THE LAKE BOTTOM BUT DID NOT EXPECT THE BLADE TO FRACTURE..IN MY OPINION A THICKER BLADE ALTHOUGH HEAVIER WOULD BE MORE PRACTICAL.i HAVE STILL NOT REPLACED THE BROKEN CUTTER AS I HAVE LOST CONFIDENCE IN THIS PRODUCT.I MAY HAVE RECEIVED A BLADE WITH A MANUFACTURING FLAW BUT AS I WAS NOT OFFERED A REPLACEMENT THEN I WILL NEVER FIND OUT. REGARDS
Argggh my ears

lavo-1

Most of PI stuff I have ever bought has been absolute rubbish.
The only thing PI has going for it is Des Shipp and I really feel for the guy having to use such poor gear!

Paul.P

Have to agree with lavo-1, a lot of the preston stuff is cheaply made, I've had to file the sides of there ics method feeders down to get them in the mould cause the casting was awful, & had an issue with the elasticated stems having a sharp piece of plastic sticking out from the moulding that cut through the line & I lost several cause of this until I noticed & got my little file out, point being, this stuff isn't cheap at £2.75/feeder, & I shouldn't have to be filing things down just because the company's profit driven & has it all made in the thousands in china !

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Its the quality control that is nearly always the problem which is why Drennan gear rarely fails to do what its supposed to.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Have you used it Scribe?
I haven't @P_C It came up in my Facebook feed and I remembered the problems you had with yours. If you are interested I would post a message on their site for user feedback and see what comes up.

P_C

I haven't @P_C It came up in my Facebook feed and I remembered the problems you had with yours. If you are interested I would post a message on their site for user feedback and see what comes up.
Appreciated Scribe. I had seen some similar ones (maybe the same) on the China websites for much cheaper and wondered about them.

I'll wait until my current order arrives and see if that's up to the task. If not I might investigate with these.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
113320643625 Have a look to this eBay link mate.
These are great, but they fit on the end of your pole and are designed for nicking the odd strand off the far bank of snake lakes, anything more and they break - probably just as well, as if they didn’t it would be your pole.

If someone finds a decent weed cutter that will cut big nettles, brambles etc, let me know, I lost mine and haven’t been able to find anything that’s not made out of cheese rather than tempered steel.

Anyone who has a workshop and wanted to knock some up would sell plenty and at a decent price, I’d happily pay £20 or £25 for a cutter that didn’t bend out of shape the first its used.

burger

Site Supporter
These are great, but they fit on the end of your pole and are designed for nicking the odd strand off the far bank of snake lakes, anything more and they break - probably just as well, as if they didn’t it would be your pole.

If someone finds a decent weed cutter that will cut big nettles, brambles etc, let me know, I lost mine and haven’t been able to find anything that’s not made out of cheese rather than tempered steel.

Anyone who has a workshop and wanted to knock some up would sell plenty and at a decent price, I’d happily pay £20 or £25 for a cutter that didn’t bend out of shape the first its used.
I know he does a more substantial one to fit your landing net pole if it helps any of you folks out.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter

Peezartiste

Site Supporter
Much more flimsy than the old Seymo ones I have used for years just sharpen them once a year and they last for ages.
This is the one I have used since I bought it in the seventies. Occasional sharpen with a file. Can't see a name on it but I'm sure it was Seymo.
Cutter 1.jpgCutter 2.jpg

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I know he does a more substantial one to fit your landing net pole if it helps any of you folks out.
I have that as well, but is still more of a grass/reed frond strand cutter, than one for brambles etc. A proper heavy duty one, made from a machine hacksaw blade or similar would be ideal.

P_C

Another one to avoid.

Just realised I had a couple of these in an old storage box. Not sure if there is any make but they are still for sale in many places. Avoid, obviously.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
This is the one I have used since I bought it in the seventies. Occasional sharpen with a file. Can't see a name on it but I'm sure it was Seymo.
View attachment 16420View attachment 16422
Thats when they were made of real steel mate and not the recycled stuff produced in China ;)

Another one to avoid.

Just realised I had a couple of these in an old storage box. Not sure if there is any make but they are still for sale in many places. Avoid, obviously.
One pound tackle by any chance?
Only asking because i've got a few of those boxes myself ;)