Rubbish Quality Tackle

P_C

Sometimes you have to wonder if fishing companies bother to test out products before sticking their brand on them and sending them out to the shops. My favourite example was those plastic Fox pike floats that used to smash on the water when you cast them.

Anyway I bought this last week. A Browning Weed Cutter Sickle. Looked ideal for cleaning a few reeds from a swim. I brought it out this morning for the first time and it worked well for about 3 mins. I then noticed it was bent. The 'metal' had torn. About three quarters of the way across. I tried to straighten it and it just ripped through the rest of the way. Absolute rubbish material.

What do you do? Would Browning give a sh*t? They must have known how rubbish it was. Someone made the decision to use that rubbish 'metal'. Maybe it's more profitable to sell rubbish?

P_C

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Browning would certainly replace that if you take it back to the tackle dealer you bought it from.
You often find conflicts in fishing tackle caused by trying to make things lighter or in this case cheaper probably.

Total

Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions. All I want is a cutter to sit in my box to cut the odd reed stem now and again.

I've taken a chance on the following: US $4.45 23% OFF|Fishing Tools Line Hook Remover Water Grass Sickle Portable Steel Knife Head Mowing Aquatic Plants Cutter Weed Removing Tool-in Fishing Tools from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Still pissed off over wasting my money on that Browning rubbish.
^^ I hope you noted these weed cutters have an 8mm thread?:unsure:.......Usual thread size is 3/8 B.S.F. (y)

P_C

Regarding the Browning cutter, I have found one other review about it:

PURCHASED ONE RECENTLY AND IT FRACTURED THE BLADE IN THE AREA WHERE THE SERRATED EDGES START ON THE THE FIRST DAY OF USE. I ACCEPT THAT I WAS CUTTING THICK REEDS CLOSE TO THE LAKE BOTTOM BUT DID NOT EXPECT THE BLADE TO FRACTURE..IN MY OPINION A THICKER BLADE ALTHOUGH HEAVIER WOULD BE MORE PRACTICAL.i HAVE STILL NOT REPLACED THE BROKEN CUTTER AS I HAVE LOST CONFIDENCE IN THIS PRODUCT.I MAY HAVE RECEIVED A BLADE WITH A MANUFACTURING FLAW BUT AS I WAS NOT OFFERED A REPLACEMENT THEN I WILL NEVER FIND OUT. REGARDS

P_C

Browning would certainly replace that if you take it back to the tackle dealer you bought it from.
You often find conflicts in fishing tackle caused by trying to make things lighter or in this case cheaper probably.
I bought it from BobCo but it's hardly their fault. And I really don't want another one.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bobco are the retailer so return it to them for an exchange or refund.
They will then be able to claim back their purchase from Browning

@Hatman

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Site Supporter
Yes, please send it back for a credit or refund rather than replacement. We've only recently started stocking these, I'll highlight your experience of the product with Bob. I've got one, not used it yet but I'll be using it only for lightweight cutting jobs.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Much more flimsy than the old Seymo ones I have used for years just sharpen them once a year and they last for ages.

P_C

Appreciate the advice. And I know BobCo's customer service is second to none (y), But postage from across the water would cost the price of the cutter, I'll take the hit and be more careful when buying Browning products in future.

P_C

I've got one, not used it yet but I'll be using it only for lightweight cutting jobs.
All I was cutting was a few reeds. It was very good for about 3 minutes until it broke in the same place as that other reviewer mentioned above (taken from eBay). I'd happily buy an identical tool in a proper material.

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Site Supporter
we took them on after i found another cutter we stocked bent too easily. Looks like we need to keep looking

Lcn

Sometimes you have to wonder if fishing companies bother to test out products before sticking their brand on them and sending them out to the shops. My favourite example was those plastic Fox pike floats that used to smash on the water when you cast them.
I hate that fox with a passion ( although I like matrix ) and at one time most people on the old pike and predators forum didn’t have a good word to say about them because of the sheer amount of tat they put on to the pike market . Micron Ps alarms that packed up in the rain . I’ve actually seen a well known piker fishing with a plastic bag over the alarms in the rain . micron p alarms where the wire perished under the alarm fairly quickly . I replaced the mk1 p with the mk2’s and 2 of the 3 packed up within an hour of using them aswell . Floats that shattered or just sunk straight out of the packet , big buck tail spinners that didn’t spin and the jerkbait range where the finish was so poor the paint would fall off the lures before you’d even used them . The only thing they did that I wish they still sold were the shallow deviants . Whoever made the decision to drop them should be tied up and pelted with air dried boilies

Last edited by a moderator:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Last year I bought a Middy White Knuckle reel for a nephew from a tackle shop in the middle of a garden centre. After 2 hours or so use, he asked me to take a look at it, "The reels gone all floppy" he said. On inspection, the brass nut under the spool had totally stripped it's threads. I took it back the following day and they said they had no more in to replace it but as soon as they had a delivery, they'd ring me. 4 weeks later and no call, so I went back to the tackle shop...it had closed down.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions. All I want is a cutter to sit in my box to cut the odd reed stem now and again.

I've taken a chance on the following: US $4.45 23% OFF|Fishing Tools Line Hook Remover Water Grass Sickle Portable Steel Knife Head Mowing Aquatic Plants Cutter Weed Removing Tool-in Fishing Tools from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Still pissed off over wasting my money on that Browning rubbish.
You'll probably find the one from Aliexpress is made from the same stuff in the same factory!!

I remember seeing and old fella on the river a few years back fishing in one of the seriously overgrown stretches, there was that much weed you couldn't see the water but he'd got an extralarge extending bankstick (extended from 4ft to 8ft ) and on the end he had a sickle.

He had obviously spent some time working on it because he had stripped the handle off it, thinned the tang down and then threaded it so it screwed into the bankstick with a nut on it to tighten against the bankstick so it wouldn't come undone...he was clearing a really nice area to fish in with it!