Rose coloured gassers, Commies, rivers, carp, roac

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel121

Account Closed
What the hell are people babbling on about on here of late, its carp hating, commie hating, river hating, backed up with a load of rose colourer glassed dribble - oh wasnt/anit the world great when we had blar blar blar when you can catch blar blar blar - utter dribble.

Sometimes it it strikes me that not every fishermen knows what they are talking about, after all we are not a profession a forum for say doctors or plumbers. Which means there are some uneducated points of view on here.

Can we not just be happy that we live in an age where we have possibly more fishing available to us now than maybe ever before? I mean Carp have certainly never been easier to catch, access able fishing for disabled, elderly has never been as good. The rivers have never been as empty of fishermen and full of really good quality fish. Ok maybe natural still waters, where carp are not on the cards are thin on the ground now. Thats a true downer but I think in general fishing is generally better now than it was in yesteryear.

Im sick I hearing about the Rivers are hard and fishless and how great they used to be, this is just total brainless BS. The truth is 10lb was always a good river weight, with the average Joe normally weighing in around 3-5lb of slivers in a match, on the Trent.

And all this Rubbish from people campaigning for the good old days. You hear claims about commies being mud puddles with bad quality fish in them. Well this is partly true, but if you if you take your rose coloured glasses off and think about what your saying. if your old enough to remember these supposed good old days then youll remember polluted foam covered rivers full of straggly looking roach. Yes granted there was loads of fraggle looking roach, but fraggle roach they were - they wasnt the beautiful coloured river roach you catch in the clean rivers of today.

The River Trent has given me some great sport this summer, I have had some big Roach for modern day standards taking little gear with me and using inexpensive kit of yesteryear but now Im going to go to some mud puddles because I fancy a change.

so

Whats wrong with that? Why cant we as fishermen unite?
Rant over, enjoy your fishing, help others and try to encourage youngsters into fishing. If you see a kid struggling in the next peg give up 30 mins of your day to help him/her there smile, when you catch them a fish is worth more than 100lb of any fish to me.

With fishing in decline in general and the anitis beating our door down and we know how modern society listens to the minority with the big gob rather than the masses who dont speak. United is the only way we are going to have fishing available for future generations.

shavenraven

I couldn't agree with you more mate. Every thread on here lately just descends into another boring moan about 'commercial puddles' and 'mud pigs' and how kids today are all useless ignorant wasters for the simple crime of either a) fishing at a commercial venue or b) having a smartphone and using it on the bank.

a typical post on here of late would go like this:

Q: Which Pole would you recommend?

A: It doesnt matter cos all waters today are only fished by kids with no interest in anything other than fishing for carp and horrible mud puddles, back in my day we didnt have anything like the equipment they do today, all we had were bent pins on a piece of string tied to a stick and we used to sit by a babbling brook hauling barbel chub and 3lb roach all day on single maggot while angels played trumpets overhead and spitfire pilots waved to us.....

so boring im sick of it!

daniel121

Account Closed
Originally posted by shavenraven

I couldn't agree with you more mate. Every thread on here lately just descends into another boring moan about 'commercial puddles' and 'mud pigs' and how kids today are all useless ignorant wasters for the simple crime of either a) fishing at a commercial venue or b) having a smartphone and using it on the bank.

a typical post on here of late would go like this:

Q: Which Pole would you recommend?

A: It doesnt matter cos all waters today are only fished by kids with no interest in anything other than fishing for carp and horrible mud puddles, back in my day we didnt have anything like the equipment they do today, all we had were bent pins on a piece of string tied to a stick and we used to sit by a babbling brook hauling barbel chub and 3lb roach all day on single maggot while angels played trumpets overhead and spitfire pilots waved to us.....

so boring im sick of it!
lol yes certainly dont let the truth get in the way of a good post of total Boooolloks! [:T]

Glad its not just me that can see it [:)]

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Our angels used to play harps. Them trumpets are a bit too noisy.
[:)]

tincatim

Well said Daniel. People should spend less time moaning about stereotypes and more time out there fishing a diverse range of venues with various methods.

Variety is the spice of life as they say, enjoy it!

pat 1948

Ah Well! for all of his Rhetoric etc, he and a lot of others on the forum never fished the likes of the Trent, Severn, Avon-both Warickshire and Hampshire in the 70's and 80's, never new the pleasure of standing/wading in a river on a winters day, a river that was warmed by the fact that there was a power station or two upstream, nah, you've never lived old lad.

As far as the 'cleanliness' of the rivers etc, it might pay you to know that when the sewage works were sold off/privatised, the new owners, not the water authorities, were allowed to let 25% more untreated sewage into the rivers, yes the rivers appeared to magically become clean and you could see the plant growth through this 'clean water' but your keepnet told another story, when you removed it from the water (and weighed in the few ounces that you'd struggled 5 hours to catch and previously you'd have caught 10lb from the same swim)the flocculation and stench of sh!t from the untreated sewage that clogged mesh said it all, hence the invention of 'Stink Bag'.
Yes the rivers are cleaner now but it's took almost twenty years for it to happen

daniel121

Account Closed
Originally posted by pat 1948

Ah Well! for all of his Rhetoric etc, he and a lot of others on the forum never fished the likes of the Trent, Severn, Avon-both Warickshire and Hampshire in the 70's and 80's, never new the pleasure of standing/wading in a river on a winters day, a river that was warmed by the fact that there was a power station or two upstream, nah, you've never lived old lad.

As far as the 'cleanliness' of the rivers etc, it might pay you to know that when the sewage works were sold off/privatised, the new owners, not the water authorities, were allowed to let 25% more untreated sewage into the rivers, yes the rivers appeared to magically become clean and you could see the plant growth through this 'clean water' but your keepnet told another story, when you removed it from the water (and weighed in the few ounces that you'd struggled 5 hours to catch and previously you'd have caught 10lb from the same swim)the flocculation and stench of sh!t from the untreated sewage that clogged mesh said it all, hence the invention of 'Stink Bag'.
Yes the rivers are cleaner now but it's took almost twenty years for it to happen
I don't know what your on about mate? I'm talking about today not 15 20 years ago?

I remember the scum on your keep net and yes I remember the almost fish less swims when the rivers first started to clean up, and yes I did spend many of day wading in rivers during the 'heyday' of match fishing, so I have no idea what your talking about.

Non of this is relevant to any of my original points.

hallelujahal

Some folks like to complain...it gives them pleasure. Me? I fish for pleasure, and I don't care if there's 1lb or 10lb in my net, I'm just pleased to be out in the fresh air away from the stresses of work, and have the health and freedom to be able to enjoy this simple pleasure. There is no point in complaining about the past, present or the future...unless, that is, we're prepared to do something about it?
AL

caster rob

Obviously, with freedom of choice, anyone is at liberty to fish how and where they like.
My main feeling about commercials is a sympathy for the inhabitants, battery hens and turkey shoots spring to mind.

robinta

Great post. Im sick of feeling obliged to keep challenging the haters. Do the fishing you want to do dlet others do theirs without belittling it. End of !

Great points, well put. Choice and quality of angling has never been so good. I won't fish commies for my own reasons, just don't believe in the ethics behind them. In the north east I firmly believe there is a swing towards more natural venue matches, and smaller clubs looking for alternatives to the routine of commies all the time. The upsurge of carp fishing has proved divisive for the sport in general hence you feel the need to speak up. Angling stats show the sport in decline and this years licence sales are well down again. I actively coach young people into the sport but the real issue is retention and capturing that interest. This can be fostered and built upon by introducing them to commies and a summer juniors match in the Leeds area boasted over 60 participants. The agencies governing angling have done a great job over the years with water quality and stockings and we now see previously dead rivers full of life. The sport is vast and wide ranging in choice, and personally I've never caught so many roach throughout the match fishing year.

gibby

Good post and some interesting comments.

Whether its fishing, golf, football, cricket, pop music or whatever, old gits like me always look back to a golden age that probably never existed. If I could focus on the rivers which are my venue of choice, its a fact that they were more heavily fished thirty or forty years ago, simply because there were no commercials and most estate lakes were controlled by clubs with lengthy waiting lists.

As to the quality of the fishing, I can only speak for the rivers I fish, primarily the Medway, the Beult, the Kentish Stour and occasionally the lower Thames but I seem to do OK with plenty of decent roach, chub, perch, bream and pike. Sure, I blank sometimes but hey, thats fishing. I have noticed fewer dace but this is more than compensated by the occasional bonus carp.

Its also an inescapable fact that rivers are cleaner. I grew up in Bermondsey on the banks of the Thames in Southeast London and it was said that if you fell in and ingested the water you were rushed to hospital to have your stomach pumped. Yet over forty later I can catch fish just a few miles upstream at Vauxhall.

So whether its a river, a commie or an estate lake that floats your boat, just get out there in the fresh air, chill out and enjoy yourself!

Luckyluca

So whether its a river, a commie or an estate lake that floats your boat, just get out there in the fresh air, chill out and enjoy yourself!

Spot on!

daniel121

Account Closed
Well at least I know I'm not on my own, thanks guys,

As for caster robs comment about feeling sorry for the fish in some (not all! - this is important we realise that not all man made waters are over stocked bagging pits) man made commies, all we have done is artificially create the rivers of old in still water. Which is also important to remember we as humans, by accident created the unhealthy over stocked polluted rivers in the first place!

As pat1948 as incorrectly assumed I'm not old enough to remember these good old days, I never lived apparently - well pat take off the glasses for gods sake ! I can assure you I've fished in artificially warmed rivers - I've fished in polluted rivers - I remember these days well fondly too.

Now let's go down memory lane but let's do it how it was- if its possible for you to prise those rose coloured glasses off your head for a minute - just think about how things was. I don't mean the good days on the good stretches of river. I'm talking how things where in reality. Let's go ;

Its 1979 and we on the river soar championship, all the names would be there Ivan marks, Kevin ashurst. Now we are at the draw bag. So in goes the hand goes hoping for Sutton Bennington and 25lb of roach and secretly hoping all the big names draw, zouch or even better coats mill. Aren't I evil you think as you pull your hand out the bag you see, 'peg 3 coats mill'. your heart sinks knowing your going to have a day on a sewer with the prospect of 5oz of gudguen winning your section! Yes this is the case people I WAS there! What's more any other section bar Sutton bonnington 5 to 6lb would normally get you a section win. I can assure you younger people not every thing is how the deluded few remember it.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Originally posted by daniel121

Well at least I know I'm not on my own, thanks guys,

As for caster robs comment about feeling sorry for the fish in some (not all! - this is important we realise that not all man made waters are over stocked bagging pits) man made commies, all we have done is artificially create the rivers of old in still water. Which is also important to remember we as humans, by accident created the unhealthy over stocked polluted rivers in the first place!

As pat1948 as incorrectly assumed I'm not old enough to remember these good old days, I never lived apparently - well pat take off the glasses for gods sake ! I can assure you I've fished in artificially warmed rivers - I've fished in polluted rivers - I remember these days well fondly too.

Now let's go down memory lane but let's do it how it was- if its possible for you to prise those rose coloured glasses off your head for a minute - just think about how things was. I don't mean the good days on the good stretches of river. I'm talking how things where in reality. Let's go ;

Its 1979 and we on the river soar championship, all the names would be there Ivan marks, Kevin ashurst. Now we are at the draw bag. So in goes the hand goes hoping for Sutton Bennington and 25lb of roach and secretly hoping all the big names draw, zouch or even better coats mill. Aren't I evil you think as you pull your hand out the bag you see, 'peg 3 coats mill'. your heart sinks knowing your going to have a day on a sewer with the prospect of 5oz of gudguen winning your section! Yes this is the case people I WAS there! What's more any other section bar Sutton bonnington 5 to 6lb would normally get you a section win. I can assure you younger people not every thing is how the deluded few remember it.
And I had change from 10 bob to buy fish and chips and 6 pints of stones best bitter [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.