Road side rubbish !

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Over the past week I've travelled some mileage, and more, up and down the A1, the M1, the M69 and various main roads in France and Belgium and I was horrified and disgusted to see the amount of rubbish strewn on the verges and hedges of OUR roads. It was everywhere.

Traveling down the A1 it was disgusting. Traveling back up was the same. Yet similar roads in France and Belgium were spotless.
Anyone coming over here would think we were all a bunch of mucky, littering, b'stards. It doesn't bode well for leaving a good and lasting impression of what was once our fair green land.

The M1 was a bit cleaner, the M69 a s1hthole

It's about time the Highways Agency got to grips with their 'partner' agencies and did something about it, a mass cleanup is required.
Even use prison work gangs, it would be a start.

<<and callllmmm :) >>

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Mickthechippy has posted before about the way that foreign freight drivers just chuck bagged c**p out of the cabs and especially when parked up.
They are just adding to the indisciplined scum of our own.
I live in a small village that is used as a short cut by those that know their way around.
Every Monday morning I can guarantee at least 2 or 3 Maccie bags on the road or verges.

dezzatheblue

See it all the time, not just from youngsters but from all sorts of people, lorry drivers, youths also supposedly upper class in range rovers etc, why cant these tosses just take it home and bin it?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It happens everywhere, even in this little village.

Simon R

Site Supporter
You would think on motorways with the proliferation of cameras that are linked to the spread of 'smart' and ALR roads it should be much easier to identify litterers but it's not something that appears to get done - too busy seeking those errant drivers who dare to stray 1mph over the average speed for the last 15 miles I guess. Use of the cameras may also solve the conundrum that has puzzled many motorists for many, many years - where do all those single shoes come from?:p

Simon

Yuccaman

Jack of all trades...
Staff member
Site Supporter
We've just got back from a week in Belgium/Northern France and the children repeatedly asked how come it was so clean...

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Because the people here dont give a toss of the Sh;thole the are making. They make loads of money outta Motorists with the Cameras so no point making Littering illegal and policing it.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Over the past week I've travelled some mileage, and more, up and down the A1, the M1, the M69 and various main roads in France and Belgium and I was horrified and disgusted to see the amount of rubbish strewn on the verges and hedges of OUR roads. It was everywhere.

Traveling down the A1 it was disgusting. Traveling back up was the same. Yet similar roads in France and Belgium were spotless.
Anyone coming over here would think we were all a bunch of mucky, littering, b'stards. It doesn't bode well for leaving a good and lasting impression of what was once our fair green land.

The M1 was a bit cleaner, the M69 a s1hthole

It's about time the Highways Agency got to grips with their 'partner' agencies and did something about it, a mass cleanup is required.
Even use prison work gangs, it would be a start.

<<and callllmmm :) >>
Why the Highway's Agency? Surely the answer is not to throw litter out of your vehicle in the first place.

First thing I had to do when I got to my peg today was fish out a cigarette packet.

I have said before, litter is a particularly, though I accept not absolutely, British problem. Many years ago I heard a story about someone suggesting chewing gum manufacturers pay to have their product removed from our pavements. Their reply was that as the only country that has this problem was Britain they didn't see it as their issue, more one for the British public to address.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I wish my wifey was as dirty...erm...did I really say that? :rolleyes::whistle:

Whisker

Site Supporter
I went down the A14 on the way to the at this morning and it makes you want to weep. Miles and miles of plastic before a sign that said ‘litter picking ongoing’... and not a soul in sight.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Having moved to West Wales recently there is a noticeable lack of litter on the roads compared with Wiltshire where we moved from.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thats because no one goes to West Wales :D

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
"...….anyone coming here would think that.....". They'd be correct, on the whole we are.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've scared the sh** out of foreign drivers who haven't realised i'm sat in the cabin watching them and they've decided it's time to get rid of their litter by sneaking into the field, behind a headge etc and burning it...they suddenly hear "OI!! what the Fu** d'ya think yer doin mate"

As for clearing the motorways...yep, lovely shiney transit pickups driving along, stop, get out, pick up the tyre from the hard shoulder and lob it over the side into the river below then get off before i can get a photo or the reg No...report to EA and HA with time, date, descritpion etc.....nothing will be done but it's nice to know they'll be informed they were seen.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I watched a young lad last week put two bottles of screen wash into his car then put the empty bottles under his car. I asked if he was leaving them , his reply was “they not mine”. I told him I’d watched him but he still wouldn’t have it. The annoying thing is,, he was parked next to a bloody bin. He picked them up when I pointed out I’d recorded him, I hadn’t but it worked.