River Tone - Taunton

Status
Not open for further replies.

ollieovgrimsby

hi, ive recently moved to taunton and im trying to find out information on the river tone as i live 2 miles away from it, what species are present, weights and good areas to fish/not fish - any information will be welcomed! thanks!

Howard1961

Longdog
I believe Rich Hill (Rhilluk) is a Taunton man and could give you some info on the Tone.

Welcome to Somerset! [:T]

sidrip

hi mate, i fish it alot, excellent river,you will catch any where to be honest, (the free stretch from french weir up to the cricket ground)is very popular for good bags of chub,trout and the odd grayling but i have found this is where the smaller fish seem to be, unless thats just my fishing capability! the stretch behind B&Q is faster but on a taunton ticket and this is where i seem to have the better fish, bait wise i only take hemp for feeding & maggot and bread as bait, i always set up a waggler for across, a stick for trotting down a third out and a small feeder for when i want me lunch[;)] behind lidls is a lovely spot but keep an eye on any gear you put behind you as you get all the drunks sitting behind you, i will be on there again sunday along the green by the weir, pop down and have a chat if your free, its always easier to explain places in person.

sidrip

forgot to add i have fished the pole in the summer with alot of success on the slower parts

woolavy

Site Supporter
hemp, caster, maggot and bread.......all thats needed.

Fish whatever you are comfy with and you should do fine, as sidrip said, the free stretch below french weir has loads of small fish, but there are some 'chub' swims between the park and lidls.....oh and one or 2 carp. Above french weir itself has a few nice chub, a few bream and some carp.

The fast stretch produces nice chub upto around 4lb or so......further down towards creech/ham/newbridge the fishing can be good for chub upto 4lb or so, and a few more bream spots with fish to 8lb maybe. The roach fishing can be brilliant at times throughout.

I havent fished it much in the last 4yrs or so, but do keep an eye out, i used to fish it loads back further in the mid-2000's, especially french weir and the cattle market (free fishing).

ollieovgrimsby

well thanks for that - very helpfull! i might just pop down sidrip as iv got nothing on this weekend, only problem is all my gear is up north! i take it there is no barbel present? what about the pike fishing?

Jeff Wye

Last time we fished it we parked up in the Odeon and walked through by the balancing pond and went left and found a bit of a platform bank opposite a couple of bushes, though there's plenty of room to the right as well, always better there when the reeds have died back, not sure whether they have this year as no real frost yet, excellent bit of proper fishing and a chance for some people tocatch a grayling for the first time.

I love that stretch below French Weir in the park but I think you really need two of you, one to mind the gear and one to park the car, what do you do Sidrip?

We also found that in any swim the faster water produces the most bites, though where we were it doesn't hammer through and of course the traditional crease, haven't been down this year, just before Christmas it was a bit too dirty, 12 hours later would have been perfect.
There was a dead chub caught up in the debris just after the A38 bridge that must have been 7LB!!!
Years ago we used to fish Taunton matches, Canal & River a lot, indeed I always put the last two winter leagues on the canal, punch supreme, seemed to have lost the habit with these damned commercials.
Jeff[:)]

sidrip

ollie......
theres no barbel mate, well not that im aware of and never seen or heard of one been caught, but there is a good head of pike, ive seen the carp but never hooked one as yet, rumour has it a decent salmon was taken last year up by the weir, again, maybe a rumour.

jeff........
alright mate long time no see or hear from, ive chanced parking by the weir a few times on a sunday if im on me own and got away with it, but usually its me and big rog or janet drops me off so no problem.
sundays is free parking oposite the cricket ground or 200yrds up the road from the weir theres a small free car park, bit of a dash if your on your own but not to bad.ive lost your number mate as got a new phone so send me it via pm on here.

sidrip

ollie........
theres also the canal by the boat and anchor pub/restaurant, an excellent canal with a good head of tench, roach, pike and some of the biggest perch ive ever caught.

Rhilluk

heres piece I did for the Taunton Angling bits of the tone http://taunton-angling.co.uk/waters_rivertone.htm

The decent salmon last year was taken behind wickes by someone looking for pike, weighed 17lb and theres a nice picie of it in both the tackle shops.

If its big pike you're after head further downstream out onto the levels. Some massive pike have been caught out there.

the section between french weir and the cattle market is free, and provides some good sport. I've always had more luck on the waggler fishing shallow with maggots. But there has been odd day when its colder and the maggot feeder with a long 4ft hook link has been the best.

Barbel is something we have been asking the EA to stock for a while.

If you're after pike specifically in Taunton you're better off fishing the canal, heres another link for the pike http://taunton-angling.co.uk/fishing/pike.htm

and welcome to Somerset! there plenty of water to fish round here!

Last edited:

ollieovgrimsby

Cheers for all the info guys, good to see the odd salmon is making it's way through-never had one before, there was a double figure one infront of me all day when I went on the trent last! When I get a bit of time off I'm gonna walk the bank and head into the tackle shops.
Sidrip - I'm not gonna pop down this weekend as iv decoded to go home and I live in Grimsby but if youwoyldbt mind leaving a few lines on here of how you got on it would be much appreciated :)

stevelockett

Take a look at my short film here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8xzYYF4oyw&list=UUKxq7fhIx_ikTEgDo6Qu2BA&index=4&feature=plcp
I feel it is about time I paid another visit...

sidrip

ollie.....
well to be honest not alot to report, decided to fish next to the pipe that goes across the river just down from the weir, in the past ive had some really good days here so was expecting a few fish, well i was wrong! never had a bite! after two and a half hours i'd had enough, packed up and drove over to the canal at the boat and anchor, this was crystal clear and very weedy but i could see the shoals of roach so spent a couple of hours knocking them out along with a few perch, wish i could of been able to write something a bit more exciting but.... it wasnt [:(]

going to go next week behind b&Q on the faster stretch, hopefully be a bit better!

Rhilluk

There's a match on this Sunday down the fast stretch, but won't go as far as B&Q. The match last Sunday had a winning weight of 14 kilo, the lowest weight was 2kg out of a fair few number of anglers. Also had a report of a 7 lb salmon further down out on the levels (even got a photo to prove it) Also I've heard the Chub have been on steroids as a lot were lost during the match!

Sidrip French can be like that, fishes well one week, then the next nothing. They may have moved into the slower deeper water after all the rain we had a few weeks ago. Give em tell to settle back down they'll be back there...

Last edited:

sidrip

thanks for the update appreciate that, nice weights that, you got any info further on down towards the motorway from B&Q, often walk along there and theres a few real nice chubby looking swims but ive not tried, was thinking this sunday maybe to give it a go.
would love to give under town bridge ( big blue one) a go but cant see any where to get down, think this is the deeper part?

Rhilluk

Theres a wooden pontoon just a bit further down next to the wooden footbridge, but not sure if you can get on to it?

Not sure below B&Q I hear the carp spawn around there as its slower water. But give it a bash on the chub.

Rhilluk

Just thought I would add the TAA match on the River Tone Fast Stretch had 19 anglers, everyone caught with the winning weight 15kg+ and over 90 kg between them all.

sidrip

again good weights, consistant with the sunday before, i never managed to get out in the end, the evils of drink took a hold of me saturday night! all being well i shall be out this sunday,bored of the simplicity of carp puddles to be honest where you dont have to think to hard and really enjoying me river and canal fishing at the moment.

Jeff Wye

Behind the Odeon last Friday, windy but got behind a bare willow for a bit of cover, had eveything, dog roach, dace, grayling chub, perch and of course gudgeon,going through a bit, better fish in the flow, a bit deeper here
Love it[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.