River Tone French Weir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobL76

Hello.

I plan to go to the Tone next week after hearing about it from my local tackle shop. Hopefully be able to try some trotting which I have only done once before when the Axe was very low about 20 years ago.

Is the free section from French Weir in the actual park?

Also can you shed some light on parking prices and if the car park in the park open early?

Thanks.

woolavy

Site Supporter
The free bit is from the top of the park, by the pone box through to firepool lock.
I would fish either below the weir, or a bit further up the path where you have the wall opposite.

As for parking prices I don't have a clue, it used to be free by the park in the side streets, but I think it is residents only now.

RobL76

Originally posted by woolavy

The free bit is from the top of the park, by the pone box through to firepool lock.
I would fish either below the weir, or a bit further up the path where you have the wall opposite.

As for parking prices I don't have a clue, it used to be free by the park in the side streets, but I think it is residents only now.
Sorry to be a pain. I have some drennan loafer floats to use, would these be ideal for the weir, also would they be loaded in bulk about 6-10 inches above the hook?

Jeff Wye

Sorry, Don't fish the weir but in between the large trees overhanging, restricts place a little, parking 5 for 5 hourish but I always pay 7 because it's so enjoyable I overstay.
No anumals in the weir and anything from ounces to a few pounds elswhere, conditions need to be right, must have a bit of flow.
Better if there are two so you can unload the car then go and park.
Do not park on the residents permit area, they get VERY angry!
Paking a short walk away in brown street.
Could also take the first roundabout off the road from the motorway to Taunton and park behind the Odeon by McDonalds, fastish stretches here if right and lots of fish, can get weedy.
Good luck

woolavy

Site Supporter
The loafers on the weir stretch wouldn't be the best option, a small stick float or (my preference) would be a waggler.
Hemp, caster, maggot and bread are good baits, but I have caught odd chub and carp on meat. The fishing will be for silvers upto 10oz, maybe the odd bigger roach, and some swims ie the wall swims can give up chub to 4lb.
There are greyling, roach, perch, chublets, minnows(some biggies too)and maybe the odd skimmer. There are also some trout and even odd salmon(these are mostly on the TAA stretches though)

RobL76

Thanks for the replies. I have plenty of small stick floats so that is ok. A Grayling would be a nice bonus as I have never managed to catch one.

mal mc

I have fond memories of this river as I lived in Taunton for a year way back in 1994 are the carp and big bream still in the town stretch.

woolavy

Site Supporter
Not as many bream or carp left now, they have grown legs and/or been served up for supper.....

Status
Not open for further replies.