River Tone- Free Stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fished the River Tone in Taunton this morning with my mate Dave. The free stretch in the town centre just above Firepool Weir. We decided that I would fish the maggot feeder and Dave the float to see what produced the most fish on the day.

First cast and the tip pulls round and a powerful fish starts motoring upstream. Good start I thought, but as I got it under control the hook pulled and what I assumed to be either a decent Chub or Trout got away.

Anyway, kept casting to the same spot and ended up with about 6 Chub between 1-2Lb and a roach. Later on in the session, I lost another decent Chub at the net- I reckon somewhere in the region of 3.5-4Lb. It managed to bump the hook in the shallow margins- not my day!

Dave had a good session- had about 10 fish consisting of mainly Chub, but also had a Greyling, Trout and Roach. All in all, not a bad session and we shall be returning come June. The river owes me a couple of decent fish. Not bad for an urban free stretch.

Anyone here fish this section much and do you know what size the Chub go to. Would love a magic 5lber!

woolavy

Site Supporter
Never personally seen anything bigger than 4lb down that end, but heard of a couple over 5lb a few years back, have seen them to just under 6 on the bends/post swim between french weir and aldi/lidl. Never had any over 3.5lb or so along the whole free stretch, but thats just my luck.
Had some carp to very very decent sizes and bream to 8lb-ish. Greyling to a couple pound and some nice hand sized roach. All good fishing with hemp/mag/caster mostly.

There have been plenty of better chub out of the fast stretch recently on the TAA ticket stretch.

Well done on a nice day fishing though.

Cheers for the reply woolavy. I have fished French Weir a couple of times but never had anything decent.

What sort of size carp are we talking and did these fall to dedicated rigs or just muscle their way in to the swim and force the silvers out?

I thought I seen a carp crash yesterday where the Tone joins the Canal. I have heard there are a few better ones concentrated in small areas on that stretch. I suppose it justs a case of finding them.

woolavy

Site Supporter
The carp have done 30+ but a reasonable amount of doubles. I have had them on maggot feeder, the pole and dedicated tactics...and floating bread.
Above french weir used to hold a lot of single figured carp, not sure if that is still the case. They would get caught on maggot and corn etc.
I just enjoy fishing for bits along the free stretch really, whatever comes along.

Cheers woolavy, I will have a bit of a roving session above the weir in June and see if I can find 'em! Thanks for the head up!

Status
Not open for further replies.