Rigger Vs Penrose

Bungee Restretched

Site Supporter
Im looking for a platform barrow to provide an all in one solution. I currently have a shuttle and Matchcraft skeleton platform, but looking for an all-in-one solution.

Been recommended Rigger or Penrose. Looked at both online, but would like users opinions.

I don't like single wheel barrow affairs; the 4 wheel layout of the Penrose appeals greatly; the Rigger 3 wheel solution looks awful; is it serviceable though?

I understand the Rigger is 'stronger' but is the Penrose ample for the average angler?

Cost is not an issue; its simply the best kit for the job in this case.

Thoughts please gents!

jasonb

Site Supporter
I have both and the penrose is just as strong as the rigger, difference is build quality. What you need to do first is measure the footprint of your box and go from there

Bungee Restretched

Site Supporter
I have both and the penrose is just as strong as the rigger, difference is build quality. What you need to do first is measure the footprint of your box and go from there
I’m running a Rive ST D36, so Penrose SXL or the Rugger Plus would suit I think

Total

Site Supporter
I’m running a Rive ST D36, so Penrose SXL or the Rugger Plus would suit I think
Have you actually measured the footprint of your box as suggested by Jason above?.....The 'I think' quote above by your good self would suggest not?.....

Making the obvious suggestion for either barrow platform mentioned above is pointless unless you know the footprint.....(y)

Bungee Restretched

Site Supporter
Have you actually measured the footprint of your box as suggested by Jason above?.....The 'I think' quote above by your good self would suggest not?.....

Making the obvious suggestion for either barrow platform mentioned above is pointless unless you know the footprint.....(y)
The 'I think' was a throw away comment; both platforms in the sizes stated would suit as I have measured both my box, and current platform internal.

NoCarpPlease

stating the bleedin obvious ... but IMO a single wheeler is way more versatile and suitable on rough terrain.
both rigger and penrose are nice products.

Total

Site Supporter
The 'I think' was a throw away comment; both platforms in the sizes stated would suit as I have measured both my box, and current platform internal.

Thank you....Having established that it's worth thinking about the venues you fish and terrains etc....I have the Penrose SXL in the four wheel configuration, after considering all the options, Ie one to four wheels etc...It been as solid as a rock and suited my price point for just over 15 months on the venues I fish.

It handles various terrains well IMO and suits my needs and long gone are the days of carting about the ridiculous amounts I take match fishing and more importantly saves my ageing back. :giggle:

Bungee Restretched

Site Supporter
stating the bleedin obvious ... but IMO a single wheeler is way more versatile and suitable on rough terrain.
both rigger and penrose are nice products.
I just can’t get on with single wheels; it’s either my balance/weak arms, the way I load up or I take far too much gear with me, but I always seemed to tip over when I had one!

Bungee Restretched

Site Supporter
Thank you....Having established that it's worth thinking about the venues you fish and terrains etc....I have the Penrose SXL in the four wheel configuration, after considering all the options, Ie one to four wheels etc...It been as solid as a rock and suited my price point for just over 15 months on the venues I fish.

It handles various terrains well IMO and suits my needs and long gone are the days of carting about the ridiculous amounts I take match fishing and more importantly saves my ageing back. :giggle:
Cheers Total; the back issue is sounding very familiar to me!

NoCarpPlease

I just can’t get on with single wheels; it’s either my balance/weak arms, the way I load up or I take far too much gear with me, but I always seemed to tip over when I had one!
my experience is that I’ve seen plenty of tip overs with 4 wheelers, but very few with single wheelers. Having a BIG wheel like on the rigger helps a lot (I’ve got a fox personally).
in the end loading height and weight distribution are going to make the difference mostly, just on really bumpy terrain a single wheel is easier to control, or respond to the bumps.
having said that I have no personal experience of multi wheelers to go on, just what I’ve observed.

good luck anyway ... I wish I’d bought a rigger before they got a lot more expensive.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I’ve got the xl.👍rigger,, it’s used every week on natural venues as a barrow, then my platform,, it’s fantastic, the only mod I’ve made, is to drill a hole through where the wheel fixes to the barrow, then I drop a bolt through,, it takes seconds to take the wheel and handles off,, to transform it into my platform

frankg

Site Supporter
For natural venues the Rigger (or Penrose) with the single wheel is the way to go. I have the large and small Rigger....you can use them as a one, two, three or four wheeler...or even six if you really wanted to :D

Scribe

Site Supporter
@frankg Which one do you use more the small or large one ? I am thinking of getting one this year for fishing on the River Trent mainly. As you know I have the Matrix S36 box like you, so was wondering which was more suited for river fishing.

frankg

Site Supporter
Hi Kev.....the small one won't take the S36....in fact the large one is 1cm too narrow if the box is put on cross-ways. . It will fit length-ways of course. I had to trim 0.5cm off the outside of each foot, for it to fit inside the outer frame. Since I sold the S36 and got a P25, I have plenty of room either side now :D
I tend to use the large one the most as it takes the 'too-much' tackle that we all take, but there are waters (rivers mostly) where I'll use the small one and then often I'll use that as my seat too.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Hi Frank - I hope you are well.

Thanks for the info - I have been toying with the idea of getting a smaller box for fishing on the canal / river, so may look out for a bargain, your not thinking of selling your P25 are you ?............. No ? Silly question really. :LOL:

frankg

Site Supporter
Hi Frank - I hope you are well.

Thanks for the info - I have been toying with the idea of getting a smaller box for fishing on the canal / river, so may look out for a bargain, your not thinking of selling your P25 are you ?............. No ? Silly question really. :LOL:
You rascal :D
I'm good thanks Kev.
If the banks of the Trent are a straight open run with no obstacles in the way, then the large one would also do. It just depends on the type of waters you fish. I use the small one on the likes of the Severn, which is rural and has fences etc that inconsiderate farmers put in the way of us fishermen :D

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
I have been trying this 4 wheel combination instead of at each corner. Looks weird but it has made manoeuvrability much much easier especially over uneven ground. Have not tested along river banks yet because "she" has banned me going on safety grounds :( as you can se it is the small Rigger and with the legs extended and front bar added gives more carrying room. Outbox D25, own version detachable footplate. I do have another Preston trolly bag that I can add to the front bar also if needed. It is a bit rough and ready on the photo, it does all fit neater.

Attachments

jasonb

Site Supporter
I have been trying this 4 wheel combination instead of at each corner. Looks weird but it has made manoeuvrability much much easier especially over uneven ground. Have not tested along river banks yet because "she" has banned me going on safety grounds :( as you can se it is the small Rigger and with the legs extended and front bar added gives more carrying room. Outbox D25, own version detachable footplate. I do have another Preston trolly bag that I can add to the front bar also if needed. It is a bit rough and ready on the photo, it does all fit neater.
Be a brave man to try that down the river bank😀

frankg

Site Supporter
Yes, they're very customisable :)