Rhodes - Greece - Fresh water fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmdirectuk

Should check more!
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere in Rhodes that is fishable??
I dont really fancy sea fishing and I will be staying mid way along the east coast.

Tried Google but cant seem to find anything.

Paul.

Philocalist

Nothing spectacular, TBH. Personally I'd advise you either just kick back and enjoy the other aspects of the holiday, or if you MUST dabble, play in the salty stuff :) There are plenty of fish around the coast (off rocks) or around harbours etc, and while most of these are smaller, I've seem massive shoals of (an unidentifed ) species that probably averaged 2-3lbs in weight, even allowing for the fact that they were seen from below while snorkelling!
Most (all?) locals seem to be pole-orientated and fishing for fun or scraps, often to feed the local moggies which are numerous ... I'm talking very rudimentary gear here, not expensive stuff like you'll see over here on any commercial. You'll see them on any harbour wall / jetty etc where there is easy access. Even off the rocks you don't need to cast far ... a typical carp type setup with a decent sized float will probably be overkill. Personally, if I was going and was hell-bent on fishing, I'd stick with a float, and use the sort of rod that you might chase commercial carp with. Match it with an appropriate size fixed spool, anything over 6-8lb line is probably massive overkill :)
If you really want to fish 'proper' find someone local with a boat and the gear, to take you out!

pmdirectuk

Should check more!
Thanks for that Philocalist!!

I think I will just take a wrap of line, my 10 section travel pole and a few rigs.... dangle bread for the mullet and sardines.
You know what! I am going to cook what I catch out of the sea too! Put a twist on our holiday wont it.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.