Responsibility for curbing knife crime?

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
I've just heard on the news that they are looking to make teachers responsible for reporting evidence of aggressive behaviour in their students! Two things immediately spring to mind;-

1) If my classes are anything to go by the dept. accepting the reports of such behaviour will be innundated within a day. I come across violent/aggressive behaviour almost every day, and that is in rural Lincolnshire schools, I shudder to think what it is like in some of the big inner city establishments.

2) Why aren't the parents being brought to task over the behaviour of their little darlings? We seem to be in a culture of complete abdication of parental responsibility. :mad:

dezzatheblue

Seems to me that the powers that be are just trying to push the responsibility onto other people's plates as usual, I don't envy you, must be a very difficult job nowadays, my dad used to teach, he says it was bad enough then but now.....

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Aaah but you see, some parents idea of responsibility ends when the kids leave the house... they cry is "someone should do something" rather than "why is my child carrying a knife"

rudd

Aaah but you see, some parents idea of responsibility ends when the kids leave the house... they cry is "someone should do something" rather than "why is my child carrying a knife"
Had this argument for years about the academy my girls attend.
Those who could afford it sent their kids to other towns schools saying the academy was sh!t.
Many parents ( lower end of the spectrum especially) expect the teachers to educate, police, parent their children with no input from themselves. They soon kick off when the school bans brands / trainers etc.
My argument is that parenting and education start at home. If parents get this right kids would want to go to school to learn.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
One word answer , parents.

Dog owners have more responsibility for their pet's actions than parents do for their children's.

About time parents had to stand in the dock beside their offspring and suffer the same punishment.

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
About time parents had to stand in the dock beside their offspring and suffer the same punishment.
Why should parents take the blame, they can now say it is the fault of teachers, police and nurses for not noticing their childrens' violent tendencies!!!!!

Dusty Rhodes

Whilst I agree that parents are to blame on a lot of occasions I think it would be unfair to some parents to sanction them for issues with their kids.
I know a family who have 5 kids, one works for the police force and 3 of the others are perfectly normal, respectful, good jobs and have never put a foot wrong.
Their other kid is a total hell raiser, no respect for anything, always in trouble with the law etc.

I’m personally of the belief that some people are just born wronguns.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Your self that’s who’s responsible, if ya don’t know that trying to kill or seriously harm someone is wrong ya need locking up till ya do.

Blanks

Site Supporter
Police kids were the worst where I grew up, they used to blame us and we used to blame the kids off the army estate.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
On our estate if we did wrong and got caught it was a arse kicking and deserved as well, non of this yer not allowed to crack yer kids, that’s why we are in the s**t we are now no matter how the luvvies try dress it up 😡😡

Blanks

Site Supporter
Bang on wisey, when we got in trouble as kids a caution from the old bill was nothing to the hiding off the man when you got home. Too soft these days kids can do what they like.

Sportsman

The responsibility starts and stops with parents, no question.
I have always been against hitting kids, but looking at the behaviour these days I think that some of these little darlings need a 'kin good hiding on a regular basis and if the parents don't want to do it then they should bring in a contractor.
Business opportunity for Trogg maybe. Punisher by appointment. :)

Dusty Rhodes

One question id ask then...

Members of MDs who have criminal records, do you blame your parents?

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Yes and no, yes cos they were so wrapped up in them sens, and no cos I knew that it was wrong.If having a criminal record for fighting is bad so be it, but in my defence I have 2 kids who have never been in trouble , have good jobs, and show more respect to other people than some of em show to their drug dealers when wanting I trip on the tick😉

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
No.....

Many years ago I had a drink driving conviction after being stopped on the way to work,it was nearly 8 hours after my last drink and I was still twice the limit.
Both my parents were good people and did a lot of charity work for the elderly and disabled, so why should they have been accountable for my error?

Dusty Rhodes

Bang on wisey, when we got in trouble as kids a caution from the old bill was nothing to the hiding off the man when you got home. Too soft these days kids can do what they like.
So after you got a good kicking from your parents did you never do said misgiving again?
I’d be interested to know how much a good kicking from your parents is a deterrent as I’d bank that it didn’t deter the majority but instead made them try harder to not get caught.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Today’s kids tell the parents what to do because they know they can’t touch em, so do ya think this is ok ?

Dusty Rhodes

Today’s kids tell the parents what to do because they know they can’t touch em, so do ya think this is ok ?
Not saying that all Wisey, in fact I agree that lack of discipline is an issue.
I’m merely pointing out that crime was still rife when people used to get a kicking from their parents. Did it really make that much of a difference?

How many on here that he’ll raised as a teenager and committed crimes can say there parents were directly to blame and should have been fined for their wrongdoings?

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Let’s say we did a kid swap, where posh kids with a posh upbringing say like a politicians kids swapped places with a couple of kids from a council estate where they live hand to mouth. I bet my nuts the posh kids wouldn’t know What hit em where as the others would think yeeeeeehaaaaaa this is good. Now when ya brought up learning through hard knocks ya bound to push for a little more ok sometimes not legal but hey that’s life. It the parents of these little darlings that make these stupid rules cos they don’t have to put up with s**t like the parents who have nowt.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Pink Floyd are re releasing the single Another Brick In The Wall with more up to date lyrics, now they sing “ hey kids leave the teacher alone “ 😉