RCT Rigger Platform - attaching accessories?

Blodwin

A few months back I bought an RCT Rigger Platform after it was recommended on here; so far I like it and its a quality bit of kit (y)

With the new river season approaching, I bought some Preston Off Box accessories, including a feeder arm, as figured it would fit the square platform legs. This turned out to be a mistake, as the platform leg diameter is too small, to take the Preston accessories, using the square insert (n)

I use the platform to carry my gear and sit directly on it with a cushion (no seat box). So has anyone else suffered the accessory attachment problem and if yes, how did you get round it?

Regards,

Neil

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Can't you get different sized inserts to fit?

Total

Site Supporter
Couple of questions, please. (y)

What size is the square leg profile on the legs on your platform?

What exact Preston off box accessories did you buy so we can advise what inserts you'll require? Thank you.(y)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
IIRC they are a 20mm leg and you can get some inserts to fit... I had a few that I used and they worked fine... I use the same inserts on my Korum accessory chair

trotter2

Take it into decent tackle shop and get the right size inserts. Any good shop should sell them.

Total

Site Supporter
Thanks for the quick replies, yes per above, I believe the platform square leg diameter is 20mm or 21mm. The Preston Offbox 36 XS Feeder Arm and other accessories I bought, come with a square 23mm insert.

So is this what I need to buy: Preston OffBox 20mm Square Inserts (Tardis)
Those inserts you mention above ARE NOT compatible with the 36 XS Feeder arm (Pro system)....From what I can see on the internet they do not make a 20 mm square insert for the Pro system. (y)

Jonb

Site Supporter
Try the 25mm round insert, I use these on my 19mm or 20mm square platform legs and it does work, it tightens up quite snug.

Blodwin

Great and some error on my part, as now have over £50 worth of unusable accessories and without original packaging :rolleyes:

Edit: I'll try the round inserts later.

Andy the grandad

Stress is caused by not fishing enough.
Site Supporter
Thanks for the quick replies, yes per above, I believe the platform square leg diameter is 20mm or 21mm. The Preston Offbox 36 XS Feeder Arm and other accessories I bought, come with a square 23mm insert.

So is this what I need to buy: Preston OffBox 20mm Square Inserts (Tardis)
Yes get the red ones I have a milo box and get them second hand off evil bay and I have both old style and new style Preston accessories I use.

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Blodwin, surely you can pack out the Preston oversized square adapters using double sided padded tape and finish off outside sticky side with tough tape. Or for a fine finish make the difference in size with "SUGRU" mouldable glue, fine stuff works well. I do not se this as too much of a fix ! The only real fitting adapters that I have come across are MATCHBOX TACKLE SQUARE fitting ones. I use them on my modified Rigger (cutie) to secure the handles w/ cross bar to hold a Preston shuttle bag.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Same size as the legs on my old Preston Onbox - so 19mm square I guess

I know my various Preston attachments - feeder arm, side tray, roosts etc - had the square insert and would move from box to platform and back again without any problem.

Of course these days 36mm diameter legs are essential for stability :p :p

Simon

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
Once again the power of getting your heads together to solve a problem is demonstrated, wouldn't be possible without the 'power of the forum'. A tenner a year is peanuts :beer-toast1:

Total

Site Supporter
@Blodwin .....Seems as though, as from above, (thank you gentleman) the legs are 19mm square on your rigger platform. (y)

According to the blurb on the internet the old Preston style inserts will not fit the newer Pro 36 system, although it has been suggested they will when inserted in to a 30 mm sleeve first......

However, there is a newer style Pro 36 insert that will accommodate a 19 mm square for your Rigger platform that is listed, Preston reference OBP/54, shown here Preston Innovations OffBox Pro Spares - Handwheels, Inserts, etc - Buy Online and here Preston Off-Box Pro Leg Insert 19mm Square - Fishing Spares that'll do the job.....May I suggest telephoning either before you order to check for stock......Please note: each pack comes with two inserts. (y)

frankg

Site Supporter
I think it’s the Preston’s offbox PRO range you need. They have a spare 19mm insert whereas the offbox 36 range doesn’t.
It’s the PRO range I use on my Rigger.