raspberry canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibby

Any keen gardeners out there? A guy on my allotment has just given me around 15 raspberry canes. He says to plant them now, yet I have also been told to heel them in and delay formal planting until the spring.

Any ideas?

270181pimp

Hi yes im a gardener and i would tub them up and put them in the shed or garage away from the frosts, water about once a month, then plant them at the back end of march, this way they will be alot stronger, you can plant them now if you like but you will get a stronger plant with the previous way.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Are they summer fruiting or autumn fruiting rasps?

If they are a "normal" summer fruiting variety such as Glen Cova (my favourite), I'd plant them now, then cut the canes down to 6" above ground level (if they are not pruned back already).

gibby

Thanks for the advice lads. They are are the autumn fruiting variety

Donfish

'Wot's geet Wilf?
Hey Gibby,Any freebies going next Autumn?I'll travel down to Kent for 'em; only about 300 miles away.[:T][:T][:W][:W]

Yuccaman

Jack of all trades...
Staff member
Site Supporter
I planted an Autumn variety 'Polka' last year. They were sent out by Thompson & Morgan in early December which is when I planted them and I had a great crop this year, and in fact only cut them down yesterday and still took a few berries off then. So I'd say now for Autumn fruiters as you should get fruit next year if you plant now

Status
Not open for further replies.