Quick change feeder systems

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Does anyone use these ?

Im looking at particulaly the MAP quick change in line feeder system, where you set up a tube on your main line which allows you to easily switch between four different styles of feeder, method, cage, closed and pellet

are they any good, thinking of setting the tubes up on a pair of commercial feeder rods that I carry set up in a hard case holdall for use on matches mainly and hope that the system allows quicker changes to the end tackle if and when required

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
They work well. I use the Preston version & it allows you to change the size of feeder you are using or from a method feeder to a pellet feeder, cage feeder or lead very quickly

Marker50

Site Supporter
I use preston version and like it.
Lots of feeders .strate leads etc.
Seconds to swap

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
Same here the preston type . Excellent for speed and convenience in changing feeder type as John says and also a range of square bombs . Handy having the compatible bombs for feeder matches in particular where range finding with the actual feeder before starting isnt allowed .
A couple of small niggles .... the cage feeder can have a tendency to have the hooklength catch around the top part of the stem on the retrieve with longer hooklengths and another is the fact that the very smallest method feeder in the range takes a narrower stem than the rest of the range thus defeating the object of interchangeability since its the only type in the range to fit the narrow stem . Overall though I find the system great.

sapperrich

Site Supporter
Does anyone use these ?

Im looking at particulaly the MAP quick change in line feeder system, where you set up a tube on your main line which allows you to easily switch between four different styles of feeder, method, cage, closed and pellet

are they any good, thinking of setting the tubes up on a pair of commercial feeder rods that I carry set up in a hard case holdall for use on matches mainly and hope that the system allows quicker changes to the end tackle if and when required
I use the MAP in line feeder system, they are as good as Preston.If you get from Bobco tackle they are half the price of other makes, no brainer!

alsur

I use Preston one and find them OK, the only thing I would say is make sure the stem you put on line is long enough to accommodate the longest feeder you might use.

Reactions: PAB

Marker50

Site Supporter
Only problem ive had with preston set up is the leads bomb being hard to fit on the stem .
Unless i open the gap slightly.
Also like said i use longer stems as some feeders wont fit on short stems ie maggot feeder.

Reactions: PAB

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
I tried the map ones and only used them once or twice.
Although the quick change system was very good the method feeders seemed to move course on the slightest breeze.
Changed over to the guru ones during the same session and they were much better but alas no quick change system.
I did not try the preston ones as i did not like the shape of the method feeders.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
I tried the map ones and only used them once or twice.
Although the quick change system was very good the method feeders seemed to move course on the slightest breeze.
Changed over to the guru ones during the same session and they were much better but alas no quick change system.
I did not try the preston ones as i did not like the shape of the method feeders.
I use the Guru X-Safe system with their Hybrid feeders - they are easy and fairly quich to chnge over. Best of all, they are made from metal and very durable.

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
I use the Guru X-Safe system with their Hybrid feeders - they are easy and fairly quich to chnge over. Best of all, they are made from metal and very durable.

Yes mate but they are not interchangeable with the in line feeders.

mytopkitisbroken

Site Supporter
The MAP ones are very very poor quality

The leads are only glued on and drop off in no time

Preston ones are infinitely superior

MrBen

Site Supporter
Also like said i use longer stems as some feeders wont fit on short stems ie maggot feeder.
If you use to short a stem with the maggot feeder, you find it then explodes on impact with the water (experience is a wonderful thing to realise how it all works)

mytopkitisbroken

Site Supporter
Must say that although the rest of the set are brilliant, the Preston ICS maggot feeder is a totally flawed design!
It doesn't sit flat and won't settle on any kind of a slope for you to tighten up to it, it also is far too fiddly to load with bait, falls apart too often and doesn't hold nearly enough bait!!!
I'm not sure how they managed to get absolutely every single thing about it wrong but in my eyes they have!!!!!

artist

wightangler
Site Supporter
the map feeders will fit on the pi ics - if you fiddle about or shave bits off the stem - used to do this with the smallest map p/feeder - though now the recent winter pi thinner insert stem range does me for proper winter

PAB

Site Supporter
Only problem ive had with preston set up is the leads bomb being hard to fit on the stem .
Unless i open the gap slightly.
get yourself a rat tail file I file all mine out a bit.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I use the Preston system. But I did find that the small Method feeder was too big for the mould, and I had to file the sides of the feeder down.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Gone with the MAP system,

bought a Job lot of 30 various styles and wieghts off a closing down tackle dealer on E-bay

mytopkitisbroken

Site Supporter
Gone with the MAP system,

bought a Job lot of 30 various styles and wieghts off a closing down tackle dealer on E-bay
Hopefully you have a better experience with the MAP ones than I had

I found the cage feeders were brittle and broke, the glued on weights fell off the pellet feeders and though their method feeder is of a much higher build quality the mould is awkward to use and the feeder holds onto the bait far far longer than I wanted it to 😕

@mickthechippy - if you like them and get along better than I did with them then for the price of the postage I've got probably 10 or 12 that you'd be more than welcome to

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
I can only give them a go mate,

the price Ive paid wont break the bank, and they are all new and packaged, theres no methods though only cage, pellet and crumb feeders

I will give you a PM regards your offer Ta muchly