Preston tray support arm - shortening

Pole-Fisher-90

Does anyone know or able to sort this out for me, I presume I’ll need someone who does metal work.

The tray support arm I need the plastic cap coming off (got rivots in) and then the arm cutting and the plastic cap putting back on.

My seatbox legs are at the lowest point due to my height so wanted this arm adapting.

Anyone help?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is it this one?

If so drill out the rivets,hacksaw arm to desired height, then redriill and rivet cap back on. If you don't have rivets/rivet gun then self tapping screws should suffice.

carphauler

I don't understand why you would need to shorten it if it is the one above, you will only gain about 2 inches?

T.I

Site Supporter
Before adapting the support arm and assuming your seat's legs are adjustable, have you considered adjusting the legs the tray is on so that they are effectively longer allowing the tray to be higher and hopefully giving room for the support arm.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Can you post a photo showing your box and box legs so we can get a clearer idea of the problem?

Pole-Fisher-90

Can you post a photo showing your box and box legs so we can get a clearer idea of the problem?
I’ll post it up tomorrow .. I can’t adjust the legs anymore everything is set right for my height. I push the arm down the leg then it hits the knuckle of the leg so won’t go further.

I’ll post one up so you can see, frustrating me how I’ll get round it

Pole-Fisher-90

Pic attached, that’s my old tray now but same issue happens when I push the support down the leg it hits the knuckles and then the top (flat disc) part is way up in the air higher than the tray so doesn’t work. My thought was shortening the tray support arm top.11148

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Right, I'm with you now.

As Peter explained above, it should be easy enough to do with a drill, hacksaw and a couple of self-tappers if you don't have a rivet gun. Or have a word with a local friendly garage and the mechanics will most likely do it for you for the price of a pint.

richc

The dedicated Preston support arm is a bit over engineered, do you really need two clamps to fasten to your seatbox leg ?

I use a mega tray and when required use a old Preston cross arm to which I've attached a plastic disc / cup that they use to fit to bicycle wheel spindles as protection when in transit - Local cycle shop should be able to give you one.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You know Richc, that's not a bad idea using the cross arm - I've got one doing nothing which has now found a new use (y)

Pole-Fisher-90

Thanks Dave glad you can see now what I mean haha, I’ll have to find someone who can do it. When you say cross arm do you mean ripple bar?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
These ones...

Long and short

However, there is now a new style of the same..

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
The Preston ripple bars work well

sagalout

Site Supporter
When I modify the preston accessories after drilling out the rivet and making the required adjustment I use am m4 bolt, washers and a dome head nut to reattach.

sagalout

Site Supporter
Whereabouts are you? If you are any where near me (Ross on Wye) I will do it for you for free, gratis, nuffin.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I recently got the matrix bent leg and it makes the tray sturdy. You have a knuckle on the outside of your tray and space next to your box in the photo to use one.