Pontefract/ Castleford Tackle shops

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
They're known locally as the old pit ponds because a pit used to be at the side of them (there's 2 lakes). There are matches on there Tuesdays (for over 60's) and Saturdays. Forgot to say, they're in South Kirkby.

Last edited:

foxy1964

They're known locally as the old pit ponds because a pit used to be at the side of them (there's 2 lakes). There are matches on there Tuesdays (for over 60's) and Saturdays. Forgot to say, they're in South Kirkby.
What weights do you usually get in the matches

ukzero1

Site Supporter
What weights do you usually get in the matches
Last week 54lb won it, but 4 weeks ago it was won with 93lb. It's not always big weights though, I've seen them won with just over 20lb.

foxy1964

Last week 54lb won it, but 4 weeks ago it was won with 93lb. It's not always big weights though, I've seen them won with just over 20lb.
54lb isn't bad this time of year, is it mainly pole or feeder

ukzero1

Site Supporter
To be honest, I don't think it matters. I've had good weights on both. Just make sure if you use a pole that it's up to the job though, we have carp in there going mid to upper 30's. and they don't care what they break. 2 poles got broke a couple of weeks ago.

foxy1964

I've had carp upto 16 on the pole in matches but if im fishing for the carp pleasure fishing, i will probably use the feeder or straight lead. Is it mainly carp or a good mixture

I'll let you know when i am coming over to the shop to have a look round and pop up to the Rustic Arms to look at the water up there. If you aren't fishing Ill have a look around your waters too if you have the time. I'll try and come over one saturday soon and if you don't have the time just let me know the post code and i'll go to have a look myself

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I'll make the time, can't do this saturday, I'm in Skegness for a few days. No worries about showing you round the lakes. 16lb on the pole is good, but try it with an upper 30, not an easy task.
Any saturday but this one will be fine. (y)

foxy1964

Skeggy, them were the days, use to go to Chapel St Leonards 5 times a year when i was a kid, then Butlins later on for Soul weekends keeping the faith lol, i haven't been for a while now though since kids were young, I can remember fishing Horseshoe Lakes down Mill Lane, and another one called Rainwater Lake just outside Skeggy with my son. My dads old pubs fishing weekend trips started out in Wainfleet and when i started going i can remember fishing the River Steeping I think when i was 17, now still going on same weekend trip but now at Decoy
Can't come this saturday now as got to take my Mum shopping this week, I have had my orders tonight so I'll try to arrange for the saturday afterwards and let you know. (y)

foxy1964

no worries, I'll be coming over anyway to see the grandkids and will still pop in to the tackle shop to look at another pole roller and then go to the Rustic Arms

If you cant make it just let me have the post code but it would be nice to look at your waters with you

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I'll make it next saturday. That's the thing with being head bailiff, I can delegate. ;) :D

foxy1964

Cheers, I'll let you know what time I will be over on Saturday 27th and meet you at the shop, or at your water, just let me know. I'll go up to the Rustic Arms either before or after with our lass.

What's the best time for you.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Give me a time and I'll meet you at the shop. (y)

Any time after 9.30.

foxy1964

Hi, I can be at the tackle shop for 11.30am, got to sort the mother-in-laws power accounts first now and then will pop up if thats ok for you.

Scarf

Site Supporter
Owl Barn is fine for a local venue, it's not Lindholme, but nowhere is. There's also Ackton pond which is closer to you or Sharlston Dam which might be worth a look. Oops! Sorry Biggsy didn't spot your earlier post!
Pete's Tackle isn't what it was, it looks like it's been burgled there's that little stock in.

Last edited:

biggsy

Site Supporter
It was Scarf apparently through the roof, always handy for bait on sundays.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Hi, I can be at the tackle shop for 11.30am, got to sort the mother-in-laws power accounts first now and then will pop up if thats ok for you.
Sorry for not replying earlier, been at Skeggy for the weekend.
11.30 is fine. (y)