Pontefract/ Castleford Tackle shops

foxy1964

Hi, I am moving to Pontefract shortly and want to know the best tackle shops in the area, can you please let me know

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi, I am moving to Pontefract shortly and want to know the best tackle shops in the area, can you please let me know
Isn’t Willy Worms opening or has opened a tackle shop in Drax ? I know Paul Chambers in Featherstone went some time since didn’t he. Shame I liked that guy.

chubby chubber

Site Supporter
if you drive theres bobco its only leeds which has everything you will ever need baits decent too

biggsy

Site Supporter
Castleford Angling on Lower Oxford Street or Aire Tackle on Racca Green Knottingley,
Pete's Tackle inside Spring Green Nurseries near Sharlston

foxy1964

Castleford Angling on Lower Oxford Street or Aire Tackle on Racca Green Knottingley,
Pete's Tackle inside Spring Green Nurseries near Sharlston
Thanks Biggsy, moving from Sheffield and spoilt for choice here

foxy1964

Wont need anywhere until summer league starts again next April, is there anywhere to practise on near on from Ponty

biggsy

Site Supporter
What you after foxy, commy's, canals or rivers?

foxy1964

looked on internet and found one called birkwood and owl farm but word o mouth is better, never lived anywhere other than Sheffield so dont know anyone in ponty area to ask

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Lindholme Lakes isn't a million miles away

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@foxy1964
Do you mean Owl Barn Farm? if so, I'm about 5 minutes walk from it. To tell you how good it is, I've lived at my current address for nearly 5 years and not once fished it. Does that tell you how good it is?
Lindholme, as @Dave says, is not that far, and Barnsley has quite a few good waters, again, not far away.
There is also Ladywood Lakes fishery, Birkwood fishery and Ackworth fishery. to go at around this area.

biggsy

Site Supporter
commercials
Loads to choose if you have transport and M62
Birkwood ok 5 lakes but gets match fished at weekend, Rustic Arms at Ackworth
Birkin, Benlees, Owl barn farm, Viking, Kippax

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have fished Owl Barn Farm. Two pools to fish, one approx 100 metres long, fish from one bank 13 metres to far side, I caught F1s. roach and a couple of carp to 6 lb. Second pool is same length with islands about 16 metres to islands, not fished it but match weights are not great. it has a small tackle shop on site but only for bait.

foxy1964

Thanks Dave, we fish Lindholme along with Messingham, Swanlands ,Lodge Farm, Moorfields etc all in the same distance, just wondered if there were any small ponds/lakes that were not match complex 10 minutes away from Ponty just to practice at night etc. I have one near me now called bradley's farm thats 10 mins away and was looking for something like that, doesnt have to be prolific, its just to practise on

foxy1964

I have fished Owl Barn Farm. Two pools to fish, one approx 100 metres long, fish from one bank 13 metres to far side, I caught F1s. roach and a couple of carp to 6 lb. Second pool is same length with islands about 16 metres to islands, not fished it but match weights are not great. it has a small tackle shop on site but only for bait.
Cheers Geoff

foxy1964

Loads to choose if you have transport and M62
Birkwood ok 5 lakes but gets match fished at weekend, Rustic Arms at Ackworth
Birkin, Benlees, Owl barn farm, Viking, Kippax
Thanks Bigsy Ill take a look

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
There's also Hoyle Mill Dam (Sally Walsh's).

foxy1964

@foxy1964
Do you mean Owl Barn Farm? if so, I'm about 5 minutes walk from it. To tell you how good it is, I've lived at my current address for nearly 5 years and not once fished it. Does that tell you how good it is?
Lindholme, as @Dave says, is not that far, and Barnsley has quite a few good waters, again, not far away.
There is also Ladywood Lakes fishery, Birkwood fishery and Ackworth fishery. to go at around this area.
Cheers lol, I'll give Owl Barn Farm a miss then, I'll have a drive round when we move next month but probably wont be doing much in the winter, last match this year for me was last Sunday at Springvale and there was a right bloody frost on the ground. The winter days are long gone for me now, particularly breaking the ice on the witham years ago and not having a bite all day, those were the days :)