Pond filter advice

Sportsman

In our new house we have inherited a fish pond and I am looking for some advice.
The pond is around 10' X 7' and 3' deep.
It contains quite a lot of water lilies and pond weed (canadian?)
There are quite a few small koi / goldfish with a few slightly larger fish at a couple of pounds.
The water is cloudy with a green tinge.
filtration is by underwater pump going into a box. Filtration is through an onion sack full of fine gravel and a foam pad around 1" thick.
There is no UV light
The gravel and pad get covered in green slime pretty quick and need cleaning every other day, otherwise the water going back into the pond is very green and cloudy.
Questions
How long should I run the pump for each day?
Is it OK to wash the gravel and pad with tap water from a hose?
Are there better filters to put into the box?
Is there a better system all round that doesn't require a mortgage?
Thanks again

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
There's tons of filters. Check out koi web sites.
You need a uv and I'd treat for blanket weed. Pump should run 24/7
I'd hose the stuff down. The sponge etc won't hold gallons of tap water.

Chris1Richo

Richo
Site Supporter
How long should I run the pump for each day?

24 Hours a day especially in Spring Summer and Autumn

Is it OK to wash the gravel and pad with tap water from a hose?

No, tap water kills any bacteria that has started to form, you have to use pond water.

Are there better filters to put into the box?

You would be better with foam and then flocor. However the foams will only take out bigger particles. On their own won't stop the water from going green without the addition of a UVC which flocculates the algae.

http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/flocor-pond-filter-media

Is there a better system all round that doesn't require a mortgage?

You will have around 6,000 litres have a look at the 6000 kit here:
http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/hozelock-bioforce-revolution-and-pondkraft-peakflow-kits

[:T]

JohnC

The very best system is an anoxic one -:http://www.mankysanke.co.uk/html/anoxic_filtration.html
When you have digested that couple of pages the largest cost would be one of these -:https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/132166442118?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=43873515739&rlsatarget=p
Or you could be like everyone else and have an `inferior` but very common system!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you have the space you won't go far wrong with one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USED-Kockney-Koi-5000v-Fibreglass-Filter-Fish-Pond-pump-fed-lid-ball-valves-/222603948414

I fit one to my pond over a year ago, plus as an extra ran the outlets into a 1000l Green Genie filter before it fed back into the pond, mainly as I had it already installed.
For ease of maintenance it does not get any easier.
Switch the pump off, close the inlet to the filter to stop water back feeding into the pond, open the outlet valves and empty out any waste build up.
The Vortex does an excellent job of removing suspended solids as they enter the filter from the pump (via a UV)

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I was amazed by the difference made by a cheapish Blagdon pressure filter with a 13W UV (100 - ish) in six weeks.

I think my pond is a similar size to yours.

Before

After

Last edited:

JohnC

Nice clear water, but what do the fish think swimming in nitrates and phosphate?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Originally posted by JohnC

Nice clear water, but what do the fish think swimming in nitrates and phosphate?
How do you know that?

Sportsman

Thanks all for the advice.
I think I need to start again with a new sytem

JohnC

The plants would rather take the ammonia into their roots before it is changed int nitrite then nitrate. This is the difference in anoxic filtration.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Any tips to raise the alkalinety in pond. Done a few tests and it's saying 4 on my ht labs test kit. All the rest of the tests were spot on apart from alkalinity Tap water seems the same so water changes will not raise it. Had my garden pond for over 20 years and seem to do ok with fish..

JohnC

I have E mailed you Tucker.
For any that are interested, I have asked Tucker to confirm the Ph reading and if it is low, to add 100 gramms/1000 litres per day of sodium bicarbonate until the Ph reaches 7.0 then let the fish rest for a few days.

Last edited:

62tucker

Site Supporter
Cheers but can't find email?
Ph was 7
I am new to testing

JohnC

I said much the same as the above reply Tucker. As your pond has a Ph of 7.0. check your water out of the tap and if it is higher than 7.0, do a water change to help raise it. If it is the same as the pond then add 30 gramms/1000 litres per day of sodium bicarbonate. Check the Ph., until it reaches around 7.5..
I can`t get my head round alkalinity of 4 though?

JohnC

Test the alkalinity of your tap water then Tucker, to check the reading of the pond?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Tap water was 4 as well
I have had same fish in pond for a few years. No new ones as old ones getting bigger. Only lost 1 fish in that time a blue oarf which had grown canny big and started to go a bit mad. I syphon the poo out of bottom every other day at least as I use this as my water change. So never any poo/fish poo on bottom to rot.
Well went to Douglas brothers koi place today. https://www.shinshiro-koi.co.uk/ And I bought some ht labs buffer KH up and put some in. Cleaned filter box out etc and just done test twice and it was up to 6/7 kh. I happy it has worked. Checked ph and that was 7 as well

JohnC

With a Kh figure of 4 you don`t have much room for error Tucker - should anything happen to change your excellent routine, a Ph crash would happen and kill fish. As your fish are now getting bigger you will need to keep an eye on this level regularly.
As a tightwad, I would get plain and simple sodium bicarbonate - save yourself a few quid - it is exactly the same as the stuff in the pretty box!