Police Officer Investigated for using "Whiter than White" in a briefing

Chervil

Site Supporter
Police officer faces racism probe for using term 'whiter than white' | Daily Mail Online

It is understood the detective in the Met Police case has been put on restricted duties after being served misconduct notice in June

A spokesman for the Independent Office for Police Conduct said: 'I can confirm that as part of Operation Embley into allegations of serious corruption and malpractice within the Directorate of Professional Standards a notice of investigation has been served on an officer informing them we are investigating the alleged use of language deliberately intended to offend and that had racist undertones.

I must admit I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't 1st April. What is going on?

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Probably best to stop reading that awful paper.

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
It's reported in a number of news outlets, not just the Daily Mail

dezzatheblue

Yeah, sorry about that, but if it is true and having served in the Met for 22 years, I have no doubt it is. It does all seem to be getting a little silly.
It is getting silly, nobody can say anything without others claiming racism, sexism or whatever.

Soprano

Account Closed
Total PC gone mad again (No pun intended). For gods sake in our own country what is wrong with making that statement. Enough is enough.

Too many do gooders and snoopers looking to find anything to moan about. A good coppers record will now show this on his file.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
We got em on here say owt about people living longer being rubbish or why a certain colour is mostly involved in knife crime, both statements being 100% true and yer a racist🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Next time he should use the phrase "blacker than black" and then see what happens!!!

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Be interesting to hear the context? If the accusation is deliberately aiming to cause offence.

Soprano

Account Closed
We got em on here say owt about people living longer being rubbish or why a certain colour is mostly involved in knife crime, both statements being 100% true and yer a racist🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Always someone willing to push things to far in the world out there and on this site as you rightly say. My Serena Williams thread which had generated some good discussions and points was locked by Geoff P who put " Once again certain members lower the tone of a thread" the "religious hypocrcy thread today was locked. I thought the mods had set new standards and repeat offenders were to be cooled off. Or does that only apply to Lol.

Indeco

Account Closed
Some certainly get away with far far more than others. Or so it seems to me

160642fishing

Site Supporter
It's reported in a number of news outlets, not just the Daily Mail
It no doubt is and the Mail wouldn't print it if it wasn't correct but of course Dezzatheblue and Pokerstar take the slightest opportunity to slate the most read newspaper in Britain.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Next time he should use the phrase "blacker than black" and then see what happens!!!
One of my fellow Sergeants would use the phrase "whipping boy". Which has absolutely no connection to slavery, I'll let you look it up. But you should have seen the reaction, mostly from white "do gooders".

dezzatheblue

It no doubt is and the Mail wouldn't print it if it wasn't correct but of course Dezzatheblue and Pokerstar take the slightest opportunity to slate the most read newspaper in Britain.
You work for them?
I read it online but take the stories with a big pinch of salt as they are normally blown out of proportion due to bad reporting or trying to make headlines,
Sorry but that’s how I see it.

Sportsman

Whiter than white, on its own, isn't offensive in any way. It all depends on the context, which none of us know about. It may have been used in a deliberately offensive way.

Chervil

Site Supporter
It does seem like an over reaction from the DPS and there may well be more to it. However, like most police officers, I have been on the wrong side of many complaints. Whilst, of course some complaints are justified, the vast majority are absolute rubbish and often put in on advice, in the believe that cases will be kicked out, because you have hurt someone's feelings, or someone has been told what to do for the first time in their life.
My longest running complaint lasted for over a year. I took over as Custody Sergeant, bailed a prisoner, (sorry detainee), who I had in my custody for the grand total of 6 minutes and because I wouldn't let him wait in the custody suite for his solicitor, but made him wait in the front office, got a complaint. This went the whole 9 yards with interviews on tape etc.

When the Met wanted to store all of old files, they weeded them to reduce cost and we got the weeded contents given to us. So all of my good arrest reports for arresting people with both knives and firearms, dealing with the immediate aftermath of the bomb in the TA centre in Shepherds Bush, dealing with bodies that had laid there for 3 months, were all gone. But they kept everyone's complaints.

When I got my first complaint and was a little worried a colleague rightly told me, "Don't worry, if you're doing your job you're going to get complaints"

DevonDangler

I hope none of those coppers work at night when it could be “blacker than the ace of spades” ♠