Pole winders.

Rick123

I'm after putting some stick floats on winders ready for my winter fishing. Can anyone tell me the biggest size available and who sells them? Some of the Avons and big sticks are very long as I expect you know? Thanks all, Rich.

Total

Site Supporter
@Rick123 ......If you can't get any Rick, just put the stick floats on the rig via three float rubbers (shots already on your prepared rigs etc) on the bank.(y)

Last edited:

jasonb

Site Supporter
Standard Preston 26cm winders are more than ample for most sized floats

Rick123

Brilliant Guys, just brought some of the above, thanks Neil. Question exactly what do you do at home, and what length do you normally make them. I'm fishing the Trent, average 6'-9' deep? Do you put the top loop below the float once on the rod, to save the float if you crack off for ant reason guys please?

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Good question Rick. Personally I have always had the loop above the float, never really had a problem with losses etc. But if too long it can hinder casting if it sticks in the eyes. However with the loop below I agree you will protect the float but it might affect presentation especially if fishing "through" the water so I prefer having it above.

I have mine in a tray of 26cm Maver Mxi winders and they fit fine but as suggestion above simply remove the float and leave the rest of the rig on the winder. The beauty of the stick float is that its attached (normally) by float rubbers only (y)

rufcuk

Biggest you can buy is rive black which are 38cm x3.6 there design to hold 2 rigs or flat flats

richox12

Length of winder is irrelevant. Put the rig on the winder complete with rubbers but without float. Slip float into rubbers when you've unwound the rig.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
The orange Preston 26cm winders are Ok for Pole floats up to 2gram carbon stem or 1.75 wire stem any bigger floats are too wide and you risk damage to the float, The Daiwa green 26cm are ever so slightly wider but not much.

Simon R

Site Supporter
For big pole floats (10 gram+ jobs) or lollipops a local tackle shop sold big flat winders that were nicknamed budgie ladders.

No idea where they were sourced from but the biggest commercially available winders that I'm aware of were the Rive ones - up to 38cm Rive Winders - Rive - Nathans of Derby

For authentic budgie ladders try Pets At Home :p :p

Simon