Pole section repair

1kingy

Never say never
Site Supporter
Hi all
I have a small split on the male end of my number 5 pole section.
Can I strengthen it with epoxy resin, or should I cut it back?
Thanks in advance 👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi all
I have a small split on the male end of my number 5 pole section.
Can I strengthen it with epoxy resin, or should I cut it back?
Thanks in advance 👍
How long is the split Kingy ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
About half inch Mick
And if you did cut it back to where the split starts how much section / carbon would you have in the pole ? Also, is it a silvers pole or carp pole ( margin etc )

1kingy

Never say never
Site Supporter
About 3 inches mate.
It’s a tricast venom carp pole

TrickyD

Site Supporter
You could drill a very small hole at the end of the split, this should stop it getting longer.

1kingy

Never say never
Site Supporter
Some things to think about, thanks all 👍
I’ve also thought about gluing another piece of pole inside to strengthen it, what do you think?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You say 3 inch ? Thats plenty. Especially on a number 5. Id cut it myself. Place masking tape all the way around said male joint to give you a straight edge to follow, grab a junior hacksaw and slowly work your way all the way around the section, keep doing this untill your saw blade starts to go through the carbon. Take your time. Gently keep going around the section until you are all the way through. Once the split has been cut off put a piece of 400 grit sand paper on a level surface and gently rub the cut section level and clean. Once this is done gently and I mean gently rub a bevel on to the leading edge of the setion. This just makes the male section align and fit into the female section easier when fishing. But, taking half an inch off a three inch male section especially a number 5 aint going to hurt it. Gently does it. 👍

Last edited:

1kingy

Never say never
Site Supporter
Thanks both I’ll give it a go 👍
I cut back and re-bushed my top kits, so I should be ok with a hacksaw 👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
This may sound silly but, if you have a junior hacksaw with a well worn blade then use that instead of a new blade. It simply works better. 👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
These cut carbon better than anything I have tried. No splinter and a nice finish ready to flat with wet 600 grit paper
Not seen them before Ian. There's a tool for everything isnt there.

By the way Ian ..... I 've been back and bought another rod from that ebay seller. Thanks to you .... Divorce pending 😆😆😆

IanG1

Site Supporter
Not seen them before Ian. There's a tool for everything isnt there.

By the way Ian ..... I 've been back and bought another rod from that ebay seller. Thanks to you .... Divorce pending 😆😆😆
LOL sorry pal
I was fed up of splintering carbon what ever I tried so took a punt and this works brilliantly.

Fishing at Decoy, I had a carp flip while unhooking - landed on my 5 section and caused a crush break just below the male section. I sent the section to Esselle pole repairs. Very helpful, very efficient, fabulous repair for £30 (much cheaper than a replacement):

The section seems stronger than pre-break in that it doesn't compress when you squeeze it? Landed a double on it since.