Pole Repair

RobTheShirt

I've managed to snap one of my top kits in half.
I've cut it back and telescoped it but do I need to
a. Glue the two sections together internally
b. Wrap the join externally with carbon fibre and resin
c. Both or
d. Neither?
Tia

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Most top kits aren't worth the cost of a professional repair as you can generally buy new or replacements for not much more.
If you want to keep the one you have just put a wrap of carbon fibre around the telescoped break.
Before you do though make sure the top part is cut square and sanded back to remove any sharp edges before you telescope them together otherwise your elastic will rub against it and possibly chaff.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've just bought a Sensas top two power kit for £25 from Angling Direct.

Andy the grandad

Stress is caused by not fishing enough.
Site Supporter
My local tackle shop has just done a repair on a no2 for me, I broke it in half clean break.
£10!!!!

alsur

If it's a clean break and they overlap by a couple of inches they will be fine a bit a bit of epoxy won't do any arm and electrical tape over joint. The only problem is they would be shorter than other kits .

stephenk

Site Supporter
Just telescope it, no glue

Put some pole doctor shrink tube over so no splinters etc.

Will be fine - just a bit shorter (& stiffer)

RobTheShirt

It's a Daiwa Connoisseur S 110 with a 125E extension.
Bought it very cheaply at a boot sale so any professional repairs would probably be worth more than I paid for the pole.
Love the pole despite its probable age (any clues) but spares I guess, are impossible to come by so I'll keep fettling it.
Thanks for all your advice and suggestions. (y)(y)

RobTheShirt

BTW. I notice that the female end of the No 4 section is starting to split/splinter.
I got a spare 4 with the pole but although it looks identical, it only slips about ½" over the No 5 section.
I've got a pole repair kit but can't find any advice or instructions on how to do a repair on a female end.
I don't want the resin to get through to the interior of the section and also, I'm not sure how to finish it off as it obviously goes right to the end.
I've also got Pole Doctor sleeves but the instructions only mention male ends. Anyone used them on female ends?
tia

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
How far is it splitting?
The common repair is to rub it on wet & dry on a flat surface until you sand down past the split(s)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As long as you've got a couple of inches overlap you should be fine.
Any less and you'll put a lot of strain on the joint which could lead to a breakage

The other top 4 section must have been from another pole, similar but not the same

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
1kingy Fishing Talk 16
I Fishing Talk 32
pkthorne Tackle Talk 4
jimbo24 Fishing Talk 14
L Fishing Talk 15