Pole repair on the cheap

IanG1

Site Supporter
I have a spare extra top 7 for my ageing Daiwa TDP221 pole that I take down the local club ponds or use the top 6 to hand on the Trent from time to time.
While fishing with it on Monday the seventh section just broke into two under my arm so must have been going soft. I fished on with the remnants of the section complete with carbon splinters etc. No big loss as it was only a spare but being a resourceful chap you hates chucking stuff away I had a bash at some form of repair so I can continue to use it etc. last night I went down the garage and trimmed both sections back to good strong carbon using a diamond pole saw for a nice neat finish and cleaned up with 1000 grit wet paper. I have then telescoped the two sections together with a smear off epoxy glue and it seems nice and strong again and only lost around 8/10 inches. My question is it worth putting some form of carbon wrap (if so what) over the joint or will it be fine as is. I will only use it as a butt section when fishing short and not bothered about the ability to add sections on. Not worth a great deal so not looking to splash out on an expensive kit or pro repair.
Any comments appreciated

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
if you have at least 3" of engagement at the jpint then in your circumstances i would not do anything else.

I used a telescoped #4 a month or so ago and section broke playing a large carp in some reeds, it did not go at the join but was completely new break. That section now has 2 telescoped joints and I had 100lb down a margin edge just over a week ago.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi Ian, If you have enough carbon inside the upper section then you should be ok. Obviously a wrap over the top would be good but, if its only for silvers with the odd lump then I think youll be ok. I have done something similar with a number 5 on a Maver and thats been ok for 10 years. And Maver poles are made by fairies from tissue paper. 😳😳

IanG1

Site Supporter
I have more than 3 inch of overlap so will leave as is based on the advise given. One day I will splash out on a new pole but may do this to celebrate the one year anniversary of my return when it comes around in October LOL

Fred Davis

epoxy resin is definitely not the way to go my mate did this to one of his poles and it melted in the very hot sun, although the fact you have telescoped it and not put in a spigot should help, if you are not going to go for a pro repair just telescope it and use electrical tape over the join you can always renew the electrical tape and then if you decide on a pro repair later on you have that option.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You never know someone reading this may come forward with a spare section for you Ian. Stick an ad in the wanted section. Cant hurt. Dafter things have happened. We all try and help one another on here. 👍

IanG1

Site Supporter
You never know someone reading this may come forward with a spare section for you Ian. Stick an ad in the wanted section. Cant hurt. Dafter things have happened. We all try and help one another on here. 👍
Surprisingly you get still get some new sections for it but unfortunately from No 8 upwards and for £100...........the pole cant be worth much more than that complete LOL

I have become quite attached to the old relic and its been a great introduction back into the sport over the past 6 months.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
You never know someone reading this
may come forward with a spare section for you Ian. Stick an ad in the wanted section. Cant hurt. Dafter things have happened. We all try and help one another on here. 👍
Your not gonna believe this but I have a no 7 off a Diawa pole but don’t know which, get some measurements and if it fits it’s yours

68811A66-6307-4F8A-BDEC-2B80106118D8.jpeg96C00598-E49C-4B81-89D8-A20EEFCE84EE.jpeg

Sorry about Albert he photo bombs everything 🤣🤣

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Surprisingly you get still get some new sections for it but unfortunately from No 8 upwards and for £100...........the pole cant be worth much more than that complete LOL

I have become quite attached to the old relic and its been a great introduction back into the sport over the past 6 months.
Completely agree Ian. Im using a 30 year old Shimano Ultegra on our local canals. It crossed my mind a few years ago ..... what was I going to do if I broke it. I went on ebsy and there one was for £150. So now Ive two. Happy days. And this is a man who has a top of the range Maver sat in a cupboard doing nowt. 😆😆😆. I just love my old gear. 👍

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Well mate i aint got one of them Fancy things to measure it with but it looks the same to me

C83B9696-A5F1-4BA2-996B-89A89BD51FB5.jpeg85CB91DE-5F8A-474B-A6C8-3ADCA7BD956F.jpeg

IanG1

Site Supporter
Shame your so far away mate, I'm down in Notts/Derby area?

IanG1

Site Supporter
Nice one mate, keep me posted when your down this patch and we will sort something out. Much appreciated and keeps the old faithful going for a bit longer

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
No worries mate i will be down The A1 pits at newark so we should be able to sort summat (y)

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
No worries what so ever, if i have summat of any use to someone else that i aint using they are welcome to have it, Now is anyone passing or Leaving Leeds heading down the M1 towards Notts Derbyshire ? ;) ;)

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
And this is a man who has a top of the range Maver sat in a cupboard doing nowt. 😆😆😆. I just love my old gear. 👍
Watch out that your Maver doesn’t spontaneously explode into pieces in the cupboard. Tipitinmick is absolutely right that Maver poles are made by fairies from tissue paper. I had a long series of costly incidents with mine and it cost me £1300. Worst decision I ever made.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Your not gonna believe this but I have a no 7 off a Diawa pole but don’t know which, get some measurements and if it fits it’s yours

View attachment 16395View attachment 16396

Sorry about Albert he photo bombs everything 🤣🤣
You know what Owly, I didnt think I could have any more respect for you than I already have but, I was wrong. You are a top bloke young man. Thank you very much for sorting that out for Ian. I cant thank you enough. What a kind gesture. Well done. Respect pal. If I can help you out anytime I will. What a great guy you are. 👍

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Cheers Mick mate but like i say i dont need it (y) And it only goes to prove what people say about Maggotdrowners getting stuff sorted ;) Oh and Albert getting in on the act :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pkthorne Tackle Talk 4
jimbo24 Fishing Talk 14
L Fishing Talk 15
R Fishing Talk 4
G Fishing Talk 10