Pole package help

scuddy

Going for a new Diawa pole this weekend and can’t decide wether to go more match package or more power
Any of you guys gone for a package and the wished you’d gone for the other
I’m assuming the match package would feel better on the pole but are they up to today’s size of carp in commercials excluding f1’s
All your thoughts appreciated

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@scuddy

I would be asking if they'd do you a deal on a mixed package. Tell them what you're looking for, and some idea of the fish you expect to catch, then come up with a compromise.

16m-andbadback

Site Supporter
All my match top kits (3 with xs70) remain unused and still in the original packaging, maybe look at them in the winter but for this time of year on commercials not interested

Fred Davis

I have a daiwa pole and use the big bore kits for commy work, plenty use the match kits with the number one taken out, however it's comes down simply to what you prefer.

scuddy

Hi fred
Do you find the power kits unbalance the pole much up to 13mts and beyond

Fred Davis

No I don't find that the power kits unbalance the pole, although I do hear anglers say that it does, a lot of the boundaries I fish you have to fish long 13, 14.5 and 16 metres I don't know if you just get used to fishing these long lengths with the big bore power kits however I do use the short 4th a lot of the time which stiffens the pole up and compensate the loss of length with the addition of the dolly butt if needed or an additional extension, however with the one piece short F1 kits now available if you prefer to keep the stiffness when using a traditional long 4th you can do so, I wonder if anglers confuse balance with stiffness as you are going to lose a bit of stiffness with carp top kits and thicker elastics as they obviously weigh more than say a match kit, does it un balance the pole not that I have noticed fishing long the heavy bits of carbon are near your body, The trouble these days is there are a lot of very good poles around and these are built with commercial carp in mind, I think that the daiwa poles will cover all situations and are great in that respect, however are they the best commercial pole, I am not sure my next pole will be a daiwa as these days I mainly fish commercials, at the moment I am not fishing due to recovering from major surgery which has given me plenty of time to go and watch matches, walking around tylers common the other week on our LPR match (66 anglers) gave me the chance to watch and look at all the poles in action, there were a lot of airity poles in use and these looked decidedly sloppy against some of the new kids on the block, do you hit more bites with an ultra stiff tool as opposed to a stiff tool I am yet to be convinced I have seen good anglers use rubbish kit and still consistently win or frame, one particular mate won the garbolino club angler final using a pole made up from around 5 different poles with repairs on various sections, luckily he won a new garbolino pole for winning the final Dave Harrell said he probably needed it, he has recently bought a new pole however it didn't come with that many top kits undeterred he said he had plenty at home and will cut to fit, somethings never change ;-)

Jonb

Site Supporter
Which pole are you going for? I use the match kits with black hydro no problem, I've heard many people state the power kits unbalance the pole, I still have a few for margin work with red hydro.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
No need for the power kits, I use the match kits with No 1 removed for everything, I have some powerkits, use them for margin work with my margin pole, but have never had an issue with using match kits for all types of fishing. The 18lbers in my avatar pic were landed on match kits.

scuddy

Was going to get the new whisker x but now I see diawa have brought out a new tourment pro x
The match kits in both poles are not like the old type where you’d remove the number one and bush the number 2 they are a 3mm pre bushed top 2 at 2.62 mts long but with no side puller fitted
Just wondered if they would cope with commercial fishing

Jonb

Site Supporter
Was going to get the new whisker x but now I see diawa have brought out a new tourment pro x
The match kits in both poles are not like the old type where you’d remove the number one and bush the number 2 they are a 3mm pre bushed top 2 at 2.62 mts long but with no side puller fitted
Just wondered if they would cope with commercial fishing
I've got the new Whisker, great pole, I've got old style interlastic match kits with mine and the newer pre bushed power kits, the bush in the match kits with No1 removed is 3.8mm internal, so you would probably have to cut back and rebush the new match kits??

Last edited:

carpole

Mach kits number one removed easily handle black hydro Preston dark blue unless really tight and near snags.Definitley use these in any open water situation.Near snags weed beds only time use power kits or when silly sized carp are about.Get the more match.

Fred Davis

I must admit down south there are not many F1 fisheries around although is one but again it's mostly lump fishing for hefty carp so most of us use the big bore kits.

Total

Site Supporter
I must admit down south there are not many F1 fisheries around although is one but again it's mostly lump fishing for hefty carp so most of us use the big bore kits.
I can think of a few!......Orchard Place Farm, Lake 5 and 6.....Monks, definitely in three of the match lakes Tylers, horseshoe etc, etc (y)....Still use power tops though.....;)

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I quite happily use the old type match kits at Woodlands with double 8 preston.
not sure what the new kits are like but with the old interlastic you could swap the power for a generic no 2 and make a match kit.
I only use the power top ( BBK1 ) with a short interlastic no 3

Fred Davis

Total, Monks is mainly munters, so is tylers and puddleduck ok a few Fi's at Colemans but you have to gear up for it's munters not fished orchard place farm in fact never heard of it, royal Berkshire now has F1's although this is fairly new as at one time it was just carp same as Gold middle and bungalow now has F1's but in the main it's all munter teratory ;-) hence as you say power tops