Pole floats

Bingo

Any recommendations of pole floats for commercials with visible tips, struggling to see the ones ive got there either to small or to thin.cheers

tedstriker

sounds like you need a 2mm or even 3mm bristle, cant really recommend floats but might be worth looking at paste floats with a longer bristle which you can use to overshot the float and get the amount showing that you are comfortable with

Paul22

Site Supporter
The Drennan Carp range do some big thick tips which are brilliant for visibility....... they are nice floats too 👍

lp1886

Drennan also do some sleeves which fit over the existing bristle to make it thicker. They can affect the shotting (you may need to remove a No.10) but the benefit is that you can change the colour to suit light conditions as you get orange, yellow and black in the packet.

map

Probably best if you tell us which floats your using and struggling to see at the moment, do you know if there a hollow tip ?
Also what type of venue, i.e. Snake lake or deep open water !
How far are you trying to fish and what bait too ???

Last edited:

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Most of my limited range of Summer floats have a 2mm bristle. These can still be dotted down and remain visible.

Have you tried different coloured bristles? I see yellow much better than red even in conditions you may not think they would show up. Alternatively black can be a stand out against the pale reflection of the sky rather than far bank vegetation.

Bingo

Probably best if you tell us which floats your using and struggling to see at the moment, do you know if there a hollow tip ?
Also what type of venue, i.e. Snake lake or deep open water !
How far are you trying to fish and what bait too ???
Dont know if there hollow tip, margin fishing or open water 5 to 6 feet deep, variety of baits.cheerd

fredradac

Site Supporter
Most of my limited range of Summer floats have a 2mm bristle. These can still be dotted down and remain visible.

Have you tried different coloured bristles? I see yellow much better than red even in conditions you may not think they would show up. Alternatively black can be a stand out against the pale reflection of the sky rather than far bank vegetation.
Interestingly I'm just the opposite Neil, red fine but yellow nigh on invisible. I do agree that black is often good.

Paul22

Site Supporter
Interestingly I'm just the opposite Neil, red fine but yellow nigh on invisible. I do agree that black is often good.
I’m the same I can see red or orange it’s very rare I use yellow and occasionally black

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I've never used a black tipped float, pole or otherwise.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I've never used a black tipped float, pole or otherwise.
Seriously ? Do you not carry a black marker pen with you Pete ? Often I black the tip out on a float when the light changes. I must admit though, I've never bought a black tipped float.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
The Des Shipp Preston’s floats - f1 pellet and f1 maggot are excellent visible 1.5mm tips. Drennan AS1 also very visible tips. These floats cover most of my open water needs. I tend to put a small piece of black silicone tube on the tip if a black tip is required. I personally prefer yellow, especially with my polaroids on.

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
Account Locked
It’s surprising just how often a blacked out tip makes a difference.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Seriously ? Do you not carry a black marker pen with you Pete ? Often I black the tip out on a float when the light changes. I must admit though, I've never bought a black tipped float.
I carry a pen but it sits in the box unused from one year to the next. Red or yellow show up OK for me in all light conditions. But I know that is not the case for all.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I carry a pen but it sits in the box unused from one year to the next. Red or yellow show up OK for me in all light conditions. But I know that is not the case for all.
Ive never given it much thought Neil but, Im one that struggles to see a yellow topped float. I shouldnt say that too loudly should I ? ..... Being an electrician. 😄