Pole Fishing - Only 3 float patterns

MrBrightside

If you you could have only have 3nr float patterns what they be and why, i'm think of putting my ~100 plus floats on ebay and retying my rigs with just 3 patterns to cover ALL eventualities, natural and commercial.

I'm think of the following patterns:

1) Preston, Des Ship - Intercarbon
2) Preston Des Ship - F1 Maggot
3) Preston Des Ship - Island

I'm thinking thew above could cover all my fishing from pinkie or chopped worm on the drains or skimmers on lakes to shallow, expander and down the edge on commercials. . .

If you could only use 3 float patterns what would they be and why?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Names on floats mean nothing to me. Just cos it's got a name on doesn't make it work any better, it only means it costs more.

I like the following..

Diamond
Chianti
Pear shaped (body down).

Those 3 cover my needs. You've also got to think about shotting for different situations and I have 4 of each pattern with differing wieghts.

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Diamond,
Pencil
rugby ball shape
All from from 0.2 to 0.5

Zerkalo

A pear, a chianti and a diamond if I had to choose. Not sure how I'd do without dibbers and pencils though.

Paul22

I’d go with a .5gram chianti for swims upto 6ft
A .2gram round bodied thick bristle glass stem for shallow water
And small dibbers for shallow work

chefster

Shedster!!
Personally I don't think I could limit myself to certain floats, I fish matches on a variety of venues, and I just don't think I could fish as efficiently if I was limited to 3 types, and I certainly wouldn't consider doing it, I keep rig prep to a minimum anyway, I just carry what I'll need for the venue on the day