Pole Advice Required

GeoffW

Site Supporter
At the moment I have a MAP TKS Power Carp 2 13m which is great for fishing short and down the edge. Anything over 11.5m I find it top heavy and uncomfortable.
Most of the time I manage fine but occasionally I find that the lack of pole length leaves me at a disadvantage.
I am thinking of getting a second hand MAP pole (so that my top kits fit) at longer length. Either a 14.5m or 16m
Although I don't really expect to require the full 16m length often (if at all), would using the 16m pole at 14.5m be more comfortable than the 14.5m at full length?
I regularly fish commercials and expect to get some silverfish as well as carp to mid double figure.
My budget is up to £500, hopefully less..and any practical advice will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

spark1

Site Supporter
Doubt your get anything for £500 that is comfortable at 14.5m

Quality poles comfortable poles at 14.5 still go for half decent money

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I am thinking of getting a second hand MAP pole (so that my top kits fit) at longer length. Either a 14.5m or 16m
Although I don't really expect to require the full 16m length often (if at all), would using the 16m pole at 14.5m be more comfortable than the 14.5m at full length?
Your top kits might not fit as the taper could be different. I had that problem with a Daiwa pole.

Dusty Rhodes

At the moment I have a MAP TKS Power Carp 2 13m which is great for fishing short and down the edge. Anything over 11.5m I find it top heavy and uncomfortable.
Most of the time I manage fine but occasionally I find that the lack of pole length leaves me at a disadvantage.
I regularly fish commercials and expect to get some silverfish as well as carp to mid double figure.
My budget is up to £500, hopefully less..and any practical advice will be appreciated.
For the price it’s unlikely you will find something that will be mega comfortable at 14.5m.
I held a map 301 the other week and it felt great at 13m but a bit heavy at 14.5m and that’s an £800 pole new.

endpeg

Site Supporter
All MAP TKS tops interchange as do all UK built Daiwa tops.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
For the price it’s unlikely you will find something that will be mega comfortable at 14.5m.
I held a map 301 the other week and it felt great at 13m but a bit heavy at 14.5m and that’s an £800 pole new.
I suppose the real question is, given a free choice, would you prefer to fish a 16m pole at 14.5m or just use a 14.5m pole, or is there no difference?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
What's the ID of the top kit and the OD of the male end it goes on?
I finished up buying another SR1 off eBay. Now got 4 top kits and a complete pole as spare sections. OD? not a clue because I've nothing to accurately measure it with.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
Having considered that my need to fish at 16m is slight, I am going to look out for a second hand MAP 14.5m pole

NoCarpPlease

Doubt your get anything for £500 that is comfortable at 14.5m

Quality poles comfortable poles at 14.5 still go for half decent money
there are bargains - generally in forum classifieds rather than ebay.
I have a pretty much unmarked Daiwa Exceler that I got for 350 notes.
that is better at 16m than a Tourny pro (albeit not as strong)

GeoffW

Site Supporter
there are bargains - generally in forum classifieds rather than ebay.
I have a pretty much unmarked Daiwa Exceler that I got for 350 notes.
that is better at 16m than a Tourny pro (albeit not as strong)
I'm in no hurry. So I will be keeping my eyes peeled for a used MAP 14.5m

Guy Incognito

Midport Angling Club
Site Supporter
keep an eye out for a original MAP 501 or if your really lucky a MAP 501 2g

Rick

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've just joined a few facebook groups to sell my box & trolley. There are a few decent pole bargains on them. They are.......

Pole Fishing buying and selling (UK only members)
Match Fishing Sales
preston innovations buy and sell uk.

Albion187

I use a map 301. Great up to about 10/11 metres. 14.5m is heavy. Slightest breeze and you will have a good wrestle with it at full length. Overall though great pole for the price. If I fish at 14m + I just chuck a rod out now. Cost over £600 2 years ago. Not sure on Price now. Would like a 501 but would be looking at about a grand which I can't afford. 301 spares are quite a reasonable price as well and the short top kits are amazing.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
I use a map 301. Great up to about 10/11 metres. 14.5m is heavy. Slightest breeze and you will have a good wrestle with it at full length. Overall though great pole for the price. If I fish at 14m + I just chuck a rod out now. Cost over £600 2 years ago. Not sure on Price now. Would like a 501 but would be looking at about a grand which I can't afford. 301 spares are quite a reasonable price as well and the short top kits are amazing.
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I will have to see if i can up my budget to a 401...🙂