Pole advice, looking to upgrade

IanG1

Site Supporter
As my comeback to fishing continues I am looking at possibly upgrading the pole I got as part of the job lot I bought.
I actually got 2 poles, one an old Shimano Technium 1250 which was set with black hydro etc for fishing for vermin in holes ( not really my bag but the club I have just joined has some carp in its ponds that I will have a go for at some time when it warms up and use as a margin pole) The other is an old Daiwa TDP221-145 which must be getting on a bit. It has 6 top kits and cupping kit and I have set it up with from 4 up to 8/10 elastics to cover my bases from canal to river/lake silvers and tench/chub in the club pond. It’s in great condition for its age, no repairs or soft spots and to be honest fishes OK up to 11m on the edge at 12.5M and forget it at 14.5M as its just to sloppy and unwieldy to make it pleasurable to use.
I know I am opening a can of worms with regards to opinion but on the basis poles have come on leaps and bounds in my 20 years away if I was to say I had a budget of £500, want at least 6 but prefer 8 top kits and cupping kit is there anything new worth a look on the current market or any gems worth seeking out second hand to fulfil my needs to replace the old TDP. I would like the ability to fish to at least 14.5M when needed but not after something that will handle carp specifically if it compromises it for silvers etc when at longer lengths it that makes sense. Is my budget enough to fulfil my needs or do I need to look behind the sofa LOL

Any replies greatly received, exciting times for me at the minute, just joined a local club who have a members only group of three ponds which look lovely. Had a recce the other night and only one chap fishing and had lengthy chat (3 hours LOL) he was targeting the resident crucians and had a couple out, offered me to jump on his box while he had a fag and had a small tench in the 15 minutes so looking forward to getting on the bank this weekend. They also have a stretch of local canal and river which fishes well so roll on the 16th.

Cheers

Ian

Paul22

As you say a million different opinions and budgets are out there........
There are plenty of poles around £399to£499 bracket it’s just a personal preference there is also the second hand route which can get you a good bit of kit at the right price......
The best budget pole I’ve used has been Maver they do some good stuff........I bought the medusa Xm 14.5m and it’s been a cracking bit of kit that came with 4 kits a match kit and a cupping kit for £400
It’s remarkably stiff and light and pretty strong.
The grim reaper is a very similar pole but 13m but a good pole for the money I actually got mine with 3 kits for £70 second hand.
So I’d recommend Maver in that price range 👍

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Map dealers have the map 301 2gs on offer at around your price, 14.5 metres around 5 or 6 topkits and cupping kit, all in tubes and holdall. Fishable at full length. Hope this helps

IanG1

Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies.
Lots to think about so not going to rush into anything and see what comes up both new and secondhand.

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
Second hand Daiwa g50, won't go far wrong. Plus your other tops may fit.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Second hand Daiwa g50, won't go far wrong. Plus your other tops may fit.
My old pole is UK made according to the label so can I presume these have a good chance of fitting later UK Daiwa Poles?

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
My old pole is UK made according to the label so can I presume these have a good chance of fitting later UK Daiwa Poles?
I would say yes, my mate has had one for about 2 years now, my tops fit, I have the torny pro. I have used his pole, used it up to 14m and didn't notice any difference to mine. It's a very good all-around pole.

ravey

Hi Ian. My suggestion would be another Daiwa Pole so that you can use your existing top kits. A secondhand Tournament might fit the bill and appears to be highly a rated and versatile bit of kit. You can have a go with my Middy XK55 next time we're out to see what you think. Dave.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Update on the thread, After much deliberation and pondering of options I have picked up a second hand Browning 14.5m Z8 with 7 tops kit, cupping and all the pole protectors from 5 upwards. Looking forward to giving it a go but feels lovely waggling it on the back garden.

andy clark

Update on the thread, After much deliberation and pondering of options I have picked up a second hand Browning 14.5m Z8 with 7 tops kit, cupping and all the pole protectors from 5 upwards. Looking forward to giving it a go but feels lovely waggling it on the back garden.
what price did you pay for that if you dont mind me asking