Pole advice...(again).

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
As most of you will know, I'm not much of a pole angler, even though I have 3. I have been offered another pole at a price I think is hard to turn down but need your thoughts on it. The pole in question is a Daiwa Phantom 13 metre, no cracks, dings or repairs and comes with the following...

Pole, 4 top kits (unknown as to match or power or both), 10 floats, & roller, excellent condition, all tops have new elastic (unknown as to what with) hardly used.

Are these poles any good? Are they for silvers or will they handle the odd lump? and more importantly...is it worth the £100 asking price?

Thanks for any advice on this one.

Paul22

It sounds like a good package but it does depend on the age of the pole...... they do go soft with age my old generation carp pole was a decent pole for the money but I had to stop using it As a lot of soft spots started to appear and made it impossible to use.
This will be over 20 years old though !
There is a thread that based on the pole you are looking at this might help 👍

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Cheers mate, will do a search. :upthumb:

SeanB

What poles do you have already and will the new one do anything they won't? If it doesn't offer anything your current kit can't do then I would be questioning how much of a bargain it really is.
Unless you just fancy a change of course lol

ukzero1

Site Supporter
What poles do you have already and will the new one do anything they won't? If it doesn't offer anything your current kit can't do then I would be questioning how much of a bargain it really is.
Unless you just fancy a change of course lol
I have the following...

Daiwa TDSR1 (11 metres) having issues getting top kits and a No4.
Daiwa TDSR2 (13 metres) same issues with top kits
Preston (8 metres) again, top kit problem. (Forgot which model for the minute)

So I was looking for a pole with minimum 4 top kits (2 match and 2 power) and the one offered has those, plus a few bits with it. I ordered a match top 3 from fishingspares for the TDSR1 but when it arrived it's very much shorter than the one I have and waiting for a reply from them as to why.

SeanB

Are the sections of the Sr1 and sr2 interchangeable at all? Apologies if I'm asking an obvious question.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Are the sections of the Sr1 and sr2 interchangeable at all? Apologies if I'm asking an obvious question.
No mate, they're not. I assumed they would but they are made on different mandrels according to fishingspares.

SeanB

That's a bummer then. Would taking the pole for a test run be an option?

I suppose at that price it could be worth a punt, if its not suitable or usable for spares you could probably be able to sell it on and get your money back.

Hope you get sorted.

The Big Fella

Hi

The Daiwa phantom I believe is a pretty old pole and right at budget end of poles, with a search on e bay one sold for £65 plus postage. So even though it’s a low £100 it seems on face value not the lowest price...

In my opinion for what it’s worth pole advancements have come on leaps and bounds in last 10 years, not neccasarily by a massive % at the top end flagship. I would say the budget end to mid range has got considerably better and what used to be a basic pole is no more a cumbersome hooped banana

For me the dealbreaker would be the phantoms top kits don’t fit and interchange with it being on another mandrel

With that in mind I’d be tempted to hang on and wait till I got £200 ish together look on md forums, the Daiwa second hand fbook page, and fleabay for a second hand pole as you would be getting a more modern pole in region of £5-600 with 4-6 top kits and you will get far more for your hard earned than buying new.

However pay and collect if possible so you can check as advertised is safest option 👍

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
The Phantom X was a good pole in its day... not a true 13mts... more like 12.5... the top 2s were rated to a size 14/16 laccy... the match top 3s about 8/10 if I remember correctly, definitely not the stiffest around and not really up to commercial work... although with a bottom puller fitted you could probably get by... it is an old pole however and spares are no longer available... I flogged mine 3 years ago for £80 so £100 is taking the mickey a bit

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Thanks for the advice all, I appreciate it. I have decided not to bother after having a waggle with it as the number 4 section felt a tad spongey.

chubby chubber

Site Supporter
I have the following...

Daiwa TDSR1 (11 metres) having issues getting top kits and a No4.
Daiwa TDSR2 (13 metres) same issues with top kits
Preston (8 metres) again, top kit problem. (Forgot which model for the minute)

So I was looking for a pole with minimum 4 top kits (2 match and 2 power) and the one offered has those, plus a few bits with it. I ordered a match top 3 from fishingspares for the TDSR1 but when it arrived it's very much shorter than the one I have and waiting for a reply from them as to why.
im sure that sensas top kits fit your tdsr poles mate if you know anyone with one just try em if you see anyone on your club lakes useing one

ukzero1

Site Supporter
im sure that sensas top kits fit your tdsr poles mate if you know anyone with one just try em if you see anyone on your club lakes useing one
Cheers for that mate. I know the TDXR1's fit but can't find one.