Peatling Pools, Peatling Parva, Leicestershire

WickerDave

Thursday was finally a drier day so it was time for an afternoon session at Peatling Pools, Peatling Parva, Leicestershire. The complex is well known for its match pools but the three small pleasure pools are very well stocked with a large variety of species and are usually not very busy on weekdays.

On arrival there were only two anglers there, both of whom packed up by mid-afternoon. So plenty of choice on pools and swims, which resulted in the usual indecision on where to fish! I decided to start by fishing on the road bank of the central pool, Malcolm, as this bank gets more sun and is favoured by the carp in early spring. There was a gusty breeze which reduced fish visibility, but there didn’t seem to be as many cruising carp as usual.

DSC03848.JPG

Moving along the bank and just dropping a small float and luncheon meat into the margins produced plenty of bites from anything but proper (non F1) carp. The fish were mostly F1s to 3.25lb, with six barbel to 4.5lb, several roach to 8oz, a long and thin 2lbish tench, a chunky perch and a small rudd.

DSC03839.JPG

DSC03854.JPG

DSC03850.JPG

DSC03853.JPG

A second rod fished with a banded mixer as a surface bait produced a steady stream of F1s to 2lb, several 8oz to 12oz ide and roach and a 2lbish chub.

DSC03846.JPG

DSC03847.JPG

DSC03858.JPG

The final tally was 37 fish of 8 species for about 50lb.

The downside is the 7pm closing time, which doesn’t get any later throughout spring and summer. It is also one of the more expensive local waters, either £8 or £6 for concessions on weekdays only.

Last edited:

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Drove past that fishery many times on my way to Bruntingthorpe delivering cars.

bezzer

Site Supporter
Nice report.

It's a great little fishery. I've not been there for a few years but will return this summer.

WickerDave

Nice report.

It's a great little fishery. I've not been there for a few years but will return this summer.
Thanks for the comment.

The main change in the past few years is the constant stocking of lots of F1s, they now dominate catches a bit too much for my liking. They also tidied up the banks a lot when they briefly held Fish'O'Mania heats across the complex quite a while back, which included taking out some of the overhanging tree roots and bushes, so some margin features have gone :(.

notneeded

Site Supporter
Yes, I agree, but I've heard some grumbles about the £8 charge from new people fishing it recently.
It's the same old story ? Happy to pay that for a packet of fags ,or 2 1/2 pints in a pub ,where else can you enjoy your self for 8 pound for the best part of 12 hours in the summer ? .

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A cracking read and some great photos (y)

WickerDave

I had a return trip here on Friday afternoon (before the Bank Holiday crowds) with similar results, 42 fish of 9 species for about 60lb. No ide this time, but four proper carp to 9lbish and a roach/bream hybrid added. There was only one other angler there who packed up at about 3pm so plenty of room to wander, three of the caught carp were spotted in the sunny shallow margins and went tail up to a lump of luncheonmeat flicked in front of them.

The surface caught chub were a little bit bigger this time.

DSC03874.JPG

One double hookup, fortunately with the smallest carp.

DSC03876.JPG

WickerDave

Another trip here yesterday afternoon with fewer and generally smaller fish, 31 fish of 9 species for about 45lb. Despite the sunshine there weren't many carp visible, and no shoals of F1s either. The close in float fishing was slow until the F1s eventually turned up, which gave the roach and bream an early chance to get to the bait. The bream were in breeding condition, so not pretty!

DSC03909.JPG

The F1s eventually turned up and dominated, so I had a wander around the tiny Parva pool. This produced a small barbel straight away and then three chunky perch about a pound each and a few more non F1s :). After a wander around the whole complex a return to Parva for the last few minutes produced a F1 :( and a nice barbel last cast :).

DSC03915.JPG

The 7pm closing time :( meant there was still plenty of daylight so I decided to try the moody club pool I'd blanked at last month for the last couple of hours. An early rudd saved the blank and was followed by a male tench and a bream late on.

DSC03917.JPG

WickerDave

Recent trips here have continued to produce good mixed bags, although there haven't been many proper carp.

Yesterday afternoon was roach dominated, about half of the 50ish fish were roach, mostly in the 6oz to 8oz range, with the best one about a pound. All taken on floatfished luncheon meat on the bottom close in.

DSC03967.JPG

The Big Fella

Hi dave

Saw Malcolm’s lake and a bloke fishing other day fishing up in the water on pole and hard pellet and it was ide or roach nice fish nearly every put in and the fish looked in great nick.

However two weeks back I fished a club match there on boat lake A opposite side of road and after the massive weights that had been coming out from that side everyone was looking forward to it.

It fished hard but I was appalled at the condition of nearly all the carp I had 66lb (2nd) they had heavily scarred mouths almost no lips and small holes obviously from misuse or hauling....... very sad sight 😖☹

So much so I book 20+ matches per year and think I would perhaps pleasure fish the Malcolm lake side! but I very much doubt I would book a knock up to catch fish in that condition regardless of the fact it’s possible to catch vast weights from the match lake side.....😱☹

WickerDave

Hi dave

Saw Malcolm’s lake and a bloke fishing other day fishing up in the water on pole and hard pellet and it was ide or roach nice fish nearly every put in and the fish looked in great nick.

However two weeks back I fished a club match there on boat lake A opposite side of road and after the massive weights that had been coming out from that side everyone was looking forward to it.

It fished hard but I was appalled at the condition of nearly all the carp I had 66lb (2nd) they had heavily scarred mouths almost no lips and small holes obviously from misuse or hauling....... very sad sight 😖☹

So much so I book 20+ matches per year and think I would perhaps pleasure fish the Malcolm lake side! but I very much doubt I would book a knock up to catch fish in that condition regardless of the fact it’s possible to catch vast weights from the match lake side.....😱☹
Catching damaged fish definitely detracts from the fishing experience :(. The fish in the pleasure lakes are in pretty good condition with the exception of some of the proper carp which are in a bad state mouth wise, although there are some flawless bigger commons too. I have seen the occasional match on the pleasure pools, mainly in the winter, so they must be bookable.

WickerDave

I managed 10 species here this afternoon, helped by the first gudgeon I've caught at the venue in 21 years of fishing it!

Some good barbel and chub this time, with the best barbel of 5.25lb taken first cast with the float sailing away as soon as the bait reached the bottom. It was probably the same last cast fish from the report back in May.

DSC04017.JPG

loopknot

Fished a match on lake c a month ago and had a walk round the pleasure lakes they do look good, glad to know there stock well think that’s next Saturday sorted for a day of fun

WickerDave

Fished a match on lake c a month ago and had a walk round the pleasure lakes they do look good, glad to know there stock well think that’s next Saturday sorted for a day of fun
Note that they have hacked the group of trees at the right of the first picture in the first post a bit, and taken the group of trees off picture to the right out completely, so that bank is a bit bare now. That was about a month ago, so could have been after your walk round.

Unfortunately there are crayfish this side of the road too, I caught and crushed a couple yesterday.

I don't fish it on weekends, I suspect it could be busy with "casual" anglers. In this weather, look out for flying bubble floats!

Good luck if you fish it.

WickerDave

A much slower day than expected today, despite having all three pools to myself. The normally reliable F1s were notable in their absence, so it was roach, rudd and perch to start with, with some very finicky bites and a wait between them. The highlight was a nice perch of 1.5lb.

DSC04621.JPG

DSC04618.JPG

As the light started to fade there were a few rises out in the middle and banded mixer produced three chub, a roach and the only F1 of the day.

DSC04625.JPG

WickerDave

Surprisingly mild here today but the gusty breeze had a cold edge to it. I started in the smallest pool on the float in the hopes of a decent perch or barbel and after a few assorted small fish hooked something good that felt very perch like. It dived out to the middle of the pond and as the hook pulled the silvery silhouette deep down looked like a 2lb+ perch. Expletives muttered, not a great start to the day! I tried the usual swims in that pool with nothing of note and was just setting up a second rod to move to a bigger pool when the float buried and a venue personal best perch of 2.5lb stayed on to the net. Not the best marked fish I’ve caught but very welcome.

DSC04684.JPG

A move to the middle pool resulted in 5 F1s on the method rod with the best a nicely conditioned 3lber, but no consistent spell of bites.

DSC04690.JPG

The float rod here produced a few small fish and my first bream of the year at 2lbish.

The final tally was 24 fish of 6 species for only 19lb, but it was a pleasant afternoon to be out.

bezzer

Site Supporter
Well done Dave. I'm going to have to get myself back there again soon.