Paste

hi all, I've never used paste before, and got some Special G gold, as per recommendation, how do mix? I don't use a pole, it will be a rod and reel set up, and I've read that the consistency will change throughout the day, also do I have to store it in an air tight box? Is it better to make the night before or on the bank? Apologies for all the questions.

tedstriker

you will want to mix it quite stiff if you are using a rod and reel, mix it 1 to 1 and give it 30 minutes or so and you can then judge the consistency of it, if you need to add water to soften it or more groundbait to stiffen it up you can, if you make it the night before you can at least judge some consistency of the mix and add a bit more water on the bank if needed

brilliant, thank you, I think ill mix night before, if I do this do I store it in the fridge? in the likes of a sealable bag?

Paul22

Site Supporter
The Preston fibre paste was designed for using on a rod and line and is durable.........
You might struggle a bit with the special G as it’s smooth and breaks down quickly.....
Please let us know how you get on 👍

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Add fibre to it and it works fine, I use it on rod and line, also on bomb and paste.

Corn Master

Site Supporter
hi all, I've never used paste before, and got some Special G gold, as per recommendation, how do mix? I don't use a pole, it will be a rod and reel set up, and I've read that the consistency will change throughout the day, also do I have to store it in an air tight box? Is it better to make the night before or on the bank? Apologies for all the questions.
Don't use Special G for rod
Use this fibre paste or similar
Screenshot_20190910-171610_Chrome.jpg

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I prefer to make my own, I have more control over what goes in it. It's cheaper too what with me being a poor pensioner (and a tight git).

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I like the idea of home made, how do you make your own paste?
There are various ways, it depends what I'm targeting. Bread paste is more versatile as you can add colours/flavours of your choice. I just remove the crusts (although you could leave them on) and put through a blender to get a fine crumb consistency, add your liquid colour/flavour to water and mix using the water mix a little at a time till you get the consistency you want, I prefer my paste to be on the stiff side (a bit like stiff putty) because I use it on the waggler and it stays on when casting.
Another very quick paste is to put 2mm or 4mm fishmeal pellet through a blender to get a fine crumb consistency, then add egg to bind, mix thoroughly and you have a fishmeal based paste, again, mix to the required consistency. Or you could take the pellet crumb to the bank side and add water a little at a time.
No doubt others will have their own way of making it, but how I make mine works for me.
There are quite a few video's on Youtube showing various mix's with bread paste, Experiment with different colours and flavours and see what works on your waters.

Last edited:

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
You can make almost anything into paste using wheat gluten. I buy mine on the net in 1/2 kg,s. Groundbait, soaked pellets all work but beware to much and you end up with a rubber ball.😳

rd115

i used to make a cheese and smoked paprika paste.

basically bread with the crusts taken off and a mild cheddar or mozarella, basically softish sort of cheese and mush it all together, keep kneeding it until all mixed, add liberal amount smoked paprika for colouring and flavour.

Can even add stuff like onion or garlic powder, the stinkier the better, as for cheese i bet some of that spreadable mouldy blue stuff works too.

Silverfisher

I had a good session with barbel on cheese paste a couple years ago, alternating between that and meat I had at least a dozen of them. Was just made up of a mix of cheese and bread crumb.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fishy Medic Where You Fished Today 0
The Landlord Tackle Talk 2
R Bait Talk 4
Dave Spence Fishing Talk 16
1 Bait Talk 3