passport office....

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you, or anybody you know is applying for their first passport warn them NOT to use the "new sparkly cheaper faster online application" ...it isn't!

We applied for my two daughters passports last month, i figured as it takes 6 weeks we'll have them in plenty of time for our trip to Eire... saved a tenner as well (well twenty cos i paid for them both) filled everything in and uploaded their photos, the site checker verified the photos were ok and, as my mate was here at the time we gave his name and email address as their "verification" person..... he got both emails and verified they were them, great i thought no problems now just to wait for the emails and we'll send off their paperwork.

Oh joy, one had to go to Liverpool, the other had to go to Peterborough...ok, we'll send our marriage certificate to Liverpool first then as soon as we get it back we'll send it to Peterborough with the eldests paperwork i even included a little love letter expalining why we needed it back quickly, went down the psot office, £6 to send it overnight but it's signed for and i can track it, ok it wiped out a bit of the saving i'd made but it would be worth it.

Now when you do the online application they take your phone number and email address incase they need to contact you... we hear nothing for a fortnight and i'm getting ready to ring the passport office and find out where the marriage certificate is on the monday morning a letter drops through the letter box addressed to the youngest daughter so we wait till she gets home from college and she opens it.

It's a letter from the passport office letting her know they need two photographs because the ones we uploaded weren't good enough so we rush her down to Asda and get professional ones done (£9), the lass pops them on the passport office website and it verifies they are ok..rush home drop them in an envelope and rush down to the post office for yet another £6 and overnight delivery.....

I rang them last thursday (10th) to enquire about the marriage certificate, give the application number, name, address, DOB etc etc and explain how we are getting a bit worried about not having it back because of us having to send it off with the eldest daughters application, the lass then takes all her details and tells me she'll contact the Peterborough office and let them klnow, that way they can contact the Liverpool office for verification of our marriage certificate...sigh of relief from me and loads of "thank you so much"s.

Send away eldest daughters paperwork (another £6) and wait, yesterday morning my daughter calls out to me "Daaaaadddd...erm...i've had another letter from the passport office, i've got to go for an interview" ohhh FFS,,,right, come in ring the passport office in Brum to arrange an interview "nothing for 3 weeks sir i'm afraid" ..doubleFFS ring Manchester "yes sir we can arrange the interview, is the 15th of november any good?" "erm no, we go away on the 18th and we've been trying to get her passport for 2 bloody months now" .."ahh i see, erm ...no..nope..i'm sorry to say sir we've got nothing sooner"

FFFSSAARRGHHHHHHHHHH ..right, last chance i'll give Liverpool a bell and see if we can get one in there any sooner because after all...they are the ones dealing with her bloody application..."Hi, right, my daughter is going through an application with you lot at that office...you've messed us around for over a month even though we have stated a few times that we are going away on the 18th of november, and now we get told we've got to get her to an interview but nowhere seems to have any avalible at the moment, can we bring her there and then you can deal with it and we can maybe get her passport before her 50th birthday".

"Oh that's very funny sir, haha 50th birthday, we're a little snowed under at the moment due to people suddenly panic buying passports but i'll have a look and see if we can....ahh, erm i'm afraid we have nothing avalible untill the 12th"
"right ok, if we book that one and come up for the interview what are the chances of getting her passport that day, we don't mind hanging around for the day if we have to"
"oh no sorry sir, after the interview it will take another 7 to 10 days before her passport will be issued"

"Right, that's it, i've had enough, your new super duper quick cheaper application system is obviously a load of rubbish..it's cost me more doing that way than if i'd gone and paid for the check and send thing...you take an email address and a phone number but insist on writing to us using snailmail so it takes even longer.....i should be bloody suing you lot for stress, false advertising and lying to paying customers!...goodbye"

So, that's it, i'll just wait now and see what hoops the next copulating moron from the passport office wants me to jump through before deciding whether a nuclear or simple MOAB suppository is required ...at least when i send that to them i'll know it's another £6 well copulating spent :finger::finger::finger:

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Mine done in 13 days from applying to receiving (y)

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Sheeesh, my renewal took two weeks so for you to get a first passport that quick was amazing!
Ah sorry not First mate renewal but a lad who came on our Jolly boys outing last year did the same and had the PO do it had his within 14 days first one.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Another thing was i got a text every time summat was approved from them Getting it, then approving right through to em texting me who was gonna deliver it and when.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Another thing was i got a text every time summat was approved from them Getting it, then approving right through to em texting me who was gonna deliver it and when.
That's what i thought, they've had the phone number and email addresses so they'll contact them but nope, neither girls mobiles have rang or recieved texts and neither email addresses have had emails other than the ones letting them know they've recieved their applications, the nominated person has verified their details and then the email telling them which office to send their paperwork to!

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Thats strange pal as i have nowt but admiration for the way they handled mine, do you have a Tracking code for the Passport office ?

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
yep, you get it when you fill in the online thingy but all it says on both is "application being processed", it's because of the interviews they do now... i was told it's one in 5 first time applications now end up having an interview!

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Ditto. It's odd how things differ.
Not wanting to sound Glass half full but i thought id be struggling to get mine in time for going away, but hey i cant fault em. Gotta be a different Department dealing with it and thats why Troggs having probs.

lliopp

Site Supporter
I have just renewed mine online, took around 2 weeks, no issues at all.
However on a slightly different tack, my daughter has just had a birthday and the grand parents decided to buy premium bonds. Good god, trying to provide proof that a 10 year old is not an international money launder is harder than you would think.

Tyecon

Coming through Rosslare harbour photographic evidence like this
Official UK ID Card - Photo ID - Proof Of Age Card would be ok for the kids my mother has something similar now depending on the 31st that might be null and void but worth having a look at also citizen card would be better for younger kids

Last edited:

Stretch1066

Life member
Site Supporter
Renewed my passport earlier in the year very quick and easy, think it only took about 10 days I was amazed.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Would have been easier to go to Newport and do it there.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Best I ever did was in the army. We were part of the spear point battalion. We applied on the Monday and had our passports on the Wednesday!

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
Trogg: can't understand the need for a UK citizen to have a passport to enter the Republic of Ireland. Check online "entry into Ireland for UK citizen". More likely to be asked to show a UK citizen ID if arriving by air, and seems they'll accept other ID stuff as well of course as a passport. But arriving on ferry should present no probs.
And welcome to the Emerald Isle!

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
By the way Trogg, I don't want you to panic but you are travelling on the 17th not the 18th. lol

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ditto. It's odd how things differ.
I have just renewed mine online, took around 2 weeks, no issues at all.

Renewed my passport earlier in the year very quick and easy, think it only took about 10 days I was amazed.
As i said in my original post, this is first time passports not renewals, my renewal took 14 days.

Coming through Rosslare harbour photographic evidence like this
Official UK ID Card - Photo ID - Proof Of Age Card would be ok for the kids my mother has something similar now depending on the 31st that might be null and void but worth having a look at also citizen card would be better for younger kids
Trogg: can't understand the need for a UK citizen to have a passport to enter the Republic of Ireland. Check online "entry into Ireland for UK citizen". More likely to be asked to show a UK citizen ID if arriving by air, and seems they'll accept other ID stuff as well of course as a passport. But arriving on ferry should present no probs.
And welcome to the Emerald Isle!
We've been to Eire a few times and never needed the passports which is why my girls have never had one but because we leave the EU on the 31st....and as of yet there is no deal on the border i thought it's better to be safe than sorry.
Even the lass at the Belfast passport office ( it's where the helpline number directed to) told me she's having to get one just incase she wants to visit her brother who lives in Scotland (because she was born in the republic!)

Would have been easier to go to Newport and do it there.
You can't get a first passport that way mate or i'd have driven them both to the offices and paid the extra to get it done :(

By the way Trogg, I don't want you to panic but you are travelling on the 17th not the 18th. lol
No mate, the ferry is at 0200 on the 18th :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Wise Owl The Club House 25
C The Club House 3
C The Club House 10
neil fallows The Club House 16
Dave The Club House 15