Novice dumb rod question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishplate 42

Two Dog Ralph
Site Supporter
As you probably know by now, I have only just started fishing and so far I have been waggler float fishing a couple of times and actually caught some fish, much to my surprise and delight!

I want to try some feeder fishing. Looking at some videos on YouTube it appears I need a rod that has a quiver tip, in other words a dedicated feeder fishing rod with a quiver tip.

So far I have a couple of 'match rods' and a carp rod. You can see exactly what I have here:

http://notinmyfridge.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/first-gear-arrives.html

I have been using the Ron Thompson 3.6m match rod to fish with a waggler float.

I don't mind buying another rod if, I need it, but I can't evaluate (or understand) the difference between a cheap rod and an expensive one. The price range is vast.

Okay, I am not going to go out and buy an expensive rod but they seem to start at as little as 10. So I think my question is two-flod. First do I need a 'Feeder Rod'? and if so, what is the difference between a 10 rod and say a 50 rod?

Ralph [:H]

Daves cave

It's all about the price point, the more you pay the better the rod. If you are serious about your fishing then don't buy cheap. Also think about your future fishing plans, this will help your buying decisions.

Kirtons

Site Supporter
Depends on what waters you fish? If its commercials you want a carp feeder/method rod. I fish with a bloke whose awesome on the feeder and he uses a 10ft garbolino rocket feeder rod which is around 24.99 this would be a good starting point.also the derennan red range are good budget rods.if you've got the bug and you can afford it then by the best kit you can afford id go second hand nearly new off ebay. If you loose interest you can sell the kit for similar to what you paid if its sought after. Fishing really is a buy cheap by twice sport.

big stoo

hello
my quick answer would be yes, and build quality.

Feeder rods are designed to have a very sensitive tip to show bites but a strength in the blank to cast a heavy feeder, which a float rod does not have.

grannyspodder

Site Supporter
the feeder rod will be designed with a sensitive tip which will show up the bites easier. The cheaper lower end rods will feel heavy and possibly less responsive. However, you will still be able to use your float rod for fishing a feeder as the tip will still respond but it will be harder to see.

just like what Stoo said above.[:)]

Last edited:

NoCarpPlease

I'd suggest that your 3m match rod would be fine for light feeders up to 20g or so and leger weights.
You could buy a separate quiver tip that would screw in to a tip ring with a female threaded end. Such a tip ring can be bought from tackle shops still.
Drennan still sell screw in quiver tips.
It won't be pretty, but it will work .... Also gives you the option to fish a swing tip ..... Which is a lovely method (opens can of worms and steps back :) )

SpiderWebb

Spider.
Site Supporter
I always go for a middle of the price range, not bothered about big names on the rod so long as it does the job. The other way is to check out second hand tackle, lots for sale on here.
tankie63

fishboy83

Get a garbolino rocket feeder rod, I have the 10ft one and its cracking better than some rods 3 times the price. Comes with 3 different tips so gives you some variety. I have caught roach and bream on it as well as carp to 15lbs. Its a very balanced rod and really good value.

Fishplate 42

Two Dog Ralph
Site Supporter
Thank you for you quick and helpful responses. I know this may seem daft but I have just realised why anglers have so many rods! I will do some homework over the next week or so and scan the e-bay listings. Working on the theory that I can always sell it and upgrade later, my budget (self imposed) is around the 35.00 mark.

I will let you know how I get on...

...any recommendations over and above what has already been said will be gratefully received.

Thanks again!

Ralph [:T]

Stokie

Also, on Feeders (method), I would recommend either Drennan (as long as you wet the mould) or Guru. I've tried these, along with Preston ones, and personally think the Drennan ones are the best. Preston ones have a tendency to crush the hook bait and not grip the feed pellets (small vanes) which leads to some frustration. Also, the Guru pellet feeders are excellent.

Dslayer

dslayer
Difference between a 10 and a 50 rod - these days purely 40.
And the difference between a 10 and a 250 rod - 240.

BTW - Go Outdoors carry a lot of Ron Thompson rods (spinning, feeder, etc) and all fall in the 9.99 to 19.99 range, I think.

My pike rods, the missuss's pike rods, a lot of my spinning rods, the missuss's float rod, my 12' feeder rod, etc are RT's from Go Outdoors and all perfect for their needs.

Abso no difference in quality, etc - and just paying for the makers name in effect.

Last edited:

matchstickman25

Disagree with the above, you'll get a much better rod if you spend 40 rather than 10. FACT, it will both catch more fish and be more pleasurable o use. However, although the quality will increase as you increase in price (up to 300 for some rods!), it will be by an ever diminishing amount. Therefore you are only likely to need or notice marginal improvements at the higher end if you fish competitively at high level. IMO.

Last edited:

codenamemilo

there us absolutely a diferrence - mainly in pleasure of use. more expensive rods have better quality guides and fittings which are harder wearing, they will usually be slimmer and lighter for the stated test curve, the action will be more true with fewer or no "flat spots", tip recovery will be sharper and more true, and you may well notice better quality cork etc.

Costie

Agree massively with the comments of Matchstickman25 and codenamemilo... and personally, I would avoid Go Outdoors simply because the majority of the staff in my local branch don't know the difference between a fishing rod and chimney seeping rod !!

My suggestion would be to review many of the adverts in the magazines and articles on the type of fishing you want a rod for, then set yourself a budget and then go round your local tackle shops to evaluate the rods in stock. If you have a decent tackle shop who you can talk to without being 'sold' what they want you to buy, then ask for advice. Above all, take your time to make your mind up and then you should end up being pleased with your new purchase... consider a reel to match the rod too if you have the budget.

big stoo

hello
on the quality front, i own the cheapest shimano comercial rod, the forcemaster, cost 35 for the 11 foot version, and it is a very good rod for the price bracket, light and nice slim blank, well finished. A friend brought a feeder rod from dragon carp which i have since used, cost 20, the rod behaved very well, no flat spots, and it was just as slim and light as the shimano, but the finish was not so smoothe, an when delivered one of the smaller eyes was blocked up with the lacquer they cover the eye whippings with. once that was cleared it was usable. that for me is the difference between price ranges and brands, the finish and quality control.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Fishplate 42

As you probably know by now, I have only just started fishing and so far I have been waggler float fishing a couple of times and actually caught some fish, much to my surprise and delight!

I want to try some feeder fishing. Looking at some videos on YouTube it appears I need a rod that has a quiver tip, in other words a dedicated feeder fishing rod with a quiver tip.

So far I have a couple of 'match rods' and a carp rod. You can see exactly what I have here:

http://notinmyfridge.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/first-gear-arrives.html

I have been using the Ron Thompson 3.6m match rod to fish with a waggler float.

I don't mind buying another rod if, I need it, but I can't evaluate (or understand) the difference between a cheap rod and an expensive one. The price range is vast.

Okay, I am not going to go out and buy an expensive rod but they seem to start at as little as 10. So I think my question is two-flod. First do I need a 'Feeder Rod'? and if so, what is the difference between a 10 rod and say a 50 rod?

Ralph [:H]
About 40 quid [:I

Sorry Fishplate , couldn't resist, good advice to follow

Matt.Newark

I use a Drennan Puddle chucker feeder rod which was about 75 and it's great.

As mentioned the Garbolino feeder rod will be ideal as a starting point for you, and not expensive.

Make sure you use a feeder rod for the feeder. It will do the job properly, and you will enjoy it more.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Tackle has never been cheaper than it is today. You will pick up some very acceptable gear without the brand name for a reasonable price. Until I stepped on it my favourite feeder rod cost me 25 three or four years ago (the reel cost 5). That rod & reel accounted for thousands of pounds of fish and won me hundreds of pounds. There will undoubtedly be a difference between a rod costing 10 and 40. But I would suggest the difference between 40 and 140 will be minimal. Though I have never owned a 140 feeder or any other kind of rod.

Sam Vimes

Originally posted by Dslayer

Difference between a 10 and a 50 rod - these days purely 40.
And the difference between a 10 and a 250 rod - 240.

BTW - Go Outdoors carry a lot of Ron Thompson rods (spinning, feeder, etc) and all fall in the 9.99 to 19.99 range, I think.

My pike rods, the missuss's pike rods, a lot of my spinning rods, the missuss's float rod, my 12' feeder rod, etc are RT's from Go Outdoors and all perfect for their needs.

Abso no difference in quality, etc - and just paying for the makers name in effect.
I only wish I had the same experience as you, fishing would have been so much cheaper. I would agree that you can end up paying a premium for some brands. Though you are only kidding yourself if you genuinely believe that the only difference between a ten quid rod and a two hundred and fifty quid rod is the brand name on it. I'd not disagree that even really cheap rods can be perfectly useable these days, nothing like thirty or forty years back. I'll also concede that the rules of diminishing returns applies. A two hundred quid rod isn't twice as good as a one hundred quid rod or four times as good as a fifty quid rod. It isn't twenty times better than a ten quid rod either. However, generally, they are better. Whether an individual can tell the difference, is willing (or able) to pay for the difference, or even cares, is another matter entirely.

The same thing applies to pretty much any consumer item, from Hi-Fi and TVs to furniture. I have decent hi-fi, because I value quality sound. However, there was a limit on my hearing beyond which I couldn't tell, or didn't see the worth in paying more. I have a pretty inexpensive TV, because I can't see much difference between the better cheap ones and those costing ten times more. That's not to say that there is no difference, I just don't want to pay the premium for something I don't really value that highly.

Grappenall 57

Site Supporter
I's also highly recommend a little Gorbolino Rocket Picker with three tips of varying strengths which just push in, got mine for 25 in my local tackle shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Zerkalo Fishing Talk 122
mike fox The Club House 13
S Fishing Talk 13
M Fishing Talk 11
jgregp Fishing Talk 10