Nostalgic Tackle Shops - Bennets of Sheffield

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Following on from the Harrisons tackle shop thread, how many people remember the God father of Mail Order fishing tackle, Bennets of Sheffield ?
I remember their adverts in the angling weeklies, often taking up double page spreads, finance available, just about everything and anything you could ever have wanted at the time, if you could afford it or not :)

Then you could request a BoS catalogue, this in its self was like the Holy Grail of catalogues, and if you subscribed to their mailing list you got regular updates of them.
To say mine got a bit threadbare between copies is an understatement :D

I managed to visit the shop a couple of times; the glass aquarium with an array of coarse fish swimming in it, rods and poles (roach poles with crooks) luggage and boxes to die for, maybe my memory is being a bit clouded by nostalgia but it was like a trip to Mecca, and no not the bingo halls :p

Sadly long since closed down, I think the floods many years ago were the final nail in their coffin

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
BoS were one of my go to online tackle shops for most of my early fishing life the other one was Mullarkeys in Nottingham.
Spent £1000's at both of those.

Total

Site Supporter
^^:)....Maybe a bit of 'Nostalgia' in that Dave.(y)
.....I remember refusing to pay their inflated prices!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slaner

Site Supporter
i remember the finance offers etc and being a young unemployed lad mad on fishing writing down £1000,s of tackle ready for the day i got a job lol then when i did i found booze and women the rest is history

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Yep often visited Bennetts in the 1980's and early 90's when I made a detour from Colchester to Liverpool/Manchester to visit the Mecca.

The pole and rod display was fantastic as was the fish tank area and waiting area.

Could always get discount on non credit purchases.

Seem to remember the staff uniform was a blue jumper!

lp1886

Went there once summer of 2006, purchased a Daiwa Matchwinner holdall and carryall set, a middy carp sack keepnet (still use it to this day) and a silvers net. I used to flick through the catalogue hoping I could one day afford to buy a Bob Nudd Champions Choice pole...oh how times have changed.

Oldmech

Remember em well and their adds A/T it was "The" tackle shop back in the day, went there a couple of times and was amazed at the size of the place compared to our locals, massive mail order business but sadly like many others just memories now.

Sam Vimes

I remember the ads in most of the angling magazines, but that's it. I never bought a thing from them by mail order and I never paid a visit to the shop.
The one big shop I do get a little nostalgic for was Stapeley Angling (when it was the huge place at the garden centre). At the time I was having an occasional visit, it was the biggest shop, with the largest stock of top end gear, I'd ever seen.

Arch

Site Supporter
Not a shop, but the first ever NEC fishing show held in the Pavilion. Absolutely rammed with people, stands from all the continental maufacturs, poles outside around the lake. Went other times, but never as good as the first one.

jasonb

Site Supporter
Marks and Marlow in Leicester......as a Young lad growing up in the 70's and 80's going in that shop was magical. The class of angler and the advice you could get was amazing, the latest top end daiwa gear on show....which I could never afford.

They were the days of proper fishing.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I was a regular at Bennets, and you are correct in saying that floods did for them. I can also remember a tackle shop further up on the main road called Calcotts. A little tackle shop from the outside but had an array of gear inside, sadly that's gone too.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
I must be a total dinosaur; I didn't know they had shut down :confused::confused::confused:

nutmeg

The one l miss is the angling fair at Chatsworth house, a great day out, sadly it got washed out a few years running and that was that.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
The one l miss is the angling fair at Chatsworth house, a great day out, sadly it got washed out a few years running and that was that.
I think it was the damage to the grounds after the heavy rainfall that was the final nail in the coffin, I wished they had just moved it to later in the year because, as you say mate, it was a great day out. I used to love the demo's by Ian Heaps.

violator

Gerry's of Wimbledon for me, as a kid it was my holy grail. My dad was a lorry driver and during the school holidays I had to go with him, one day he pulled up outside and took me in, Christmas day never came close after that day!

ChrisJSpen

Site Supporter
As a kid the Bennets shop was on Howard St and had a good display of tackle back in the 60’s. I think my first Milbro rod and Intrepid reel came from there. I also remember buying my Wicker basket from there and taking it home on the 52 bus.
When they moved to Stanley St it was the place to go and see all the new gear.
The mail order catalogue was a thing if wonder, but I was lucky that it was all a cheap bus ride away.
A quick walk up the road took in Calcotts and for a while from memory there was another shop on the right just before Calcotts.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Calcott's was in the Royal Exchange Buildings (address - No. 2 Lady's Bridge) before they moved onto the Wicker (address - No's 34 to 38, Wicker)
The tackle shop on the corner of Nursery Street (address - No. 3 Nursery St) had three owners over the period it was open.
The first were Eric Thackeray & his wife Edith, then Alan Beeby, for a short period between the owners, it was taken over by Dick Clegg,OBE. It later became Calverts.

Last edited:

genesis

Living Leg End
Bennets were expensive and it showed more when other tackle shops went online and started to take there business. The same applies today, if you don't move with the times and keep an eye on your competitors then you are going to struggle.

BoldBear

I got quite a lot of tackle from Bennetts of Sheffield back in the 80s and was a bit surprised when it shut down. I also bought a few rods, reels and luggage from Marks and Marlows via mail order too back then.