No grow bird seed

PJG

What is done to "No Grow" bird seed to stop it growing in your lawn when falls out if the bird feeders? Thanks.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Here you go mate, you can do it yourself...

Sterilising the seed is also done to prevent the seed from growing or shooting roots. It's done by microwaving it. Or you can spread it out on a baking tray and put it in the oven for a few minutes at 140 deg.

PJG

Ukzero1, many thanks for your reply - at the moment I can't get the no grow seed but I do have some wheat which I have as bait. Ta.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Ukzero1, many thanks for your reply - at the moment I can't get the no grow seed but I do have some wheat which I have as bait. Ta.
Here you are. It's what I use but I put a few raisins mixed in it and the birds go down it like there's no tomorrow.

Chervil

Site Supporter
The commercial no grow bird seed tends to be husked or granulated (not sure if a coffee grinder would do the job).
We got fed up with it growing, so laid some slabs and concreted between them and front and back. Just have to sweep it.

IMG_20200326_173704828.jpg

Reactions: PJG

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
In the case of Hemp, its often Irradiated, nonesenseually to prevent you growing "dope"

often the cause of it not splitting properly when simmered for bait

ukzero1

Site Supporter
The commercial no grow bird seed tends to be husked or granulated (not sure if a coffee grinder would do the job).
We got fed up with it growing, so laid some slabs and concreted between them and front and back. Just have to sweep it.

View attachment 28882
I leave the spillage down, then knock down any rats with a .22 hollow point. Feeds the birds and eradicate the vermin at the same time. Gives me something to do during the lock-down. ;)

biggsy

Site Supporter
Mine always seem to throw out the ones that seed, picky little sods they are:)

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
I get mine from here.

Wily Coyote

Site Supporter
All I've got under my feeders is a bare patch of earth instead of lawn where any dropped seed seems to be scavenged by all and sundry especially pigeons.