Niemba ambush

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
On the 8th of November 1960 nine Irish soldiers were killed in an ambush in the Congo. Every year the Irish army hold a memorial service for them and all Irish soldiers killed on while serving on U.N. service. Yesterday the ceremony was cancelled by the Government at very short notice. The reason for the cancellation ? A very popular Irish T.V. personality had died and was being buried. The Minister for Defence , who is also the Prime minister wanted to attend the funeral, a better photo opportunity, This just shows the level of contempt shown by Irish politicians for our Defence Force personnel.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
I don't 'do' politics, but if what you have posted is true, someone needs a slap.
I can see why you are outraged and I'm sure many more people are with you. :upthumb:

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Was it Gay Byrne (spelling?).

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
On the 8th of November 1960 nine Irish soldiers were killed in an ambush in the Congo. Every year the Irish army hold a memorial service for them and all Irish soldiers killed on while serving on U.N. service. Yesterday the ceremony was cancelled by the Government at very short notice. The reason for the cancellation ? A very popular Irish T.V. personality had died and was being buried. The Minister for Defence , who is also the Prime minister wanted to attend the funeral, a better photo opportunity, This just shows the level of contempt shown by Irish politicians for our Defence Force personnel.
It seems as though your government follows the same line as ours. Send them to fight and die, but ignore both the dead and survivors when the job is done.

Scribe

Site Supporter
That man is a disgrace to the position he holds, the Government and the Country. Duty comes before personal preference, something the soldiers lived & died by and politicians appear to have forgotten.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
The politicans do the lying and the forces do the dying.

I know i write/say that a lot but it is something i thought of after seeing the tears roll down my grandads face one year, he was watching the rememberance service and struggled to "attention" brushing me away as i tried to help him up, he said those who passed had no help and he didn't want help now!

Afterwards he was sat drinking his tea when he said "despicable, all those politicians standing with their heads bowed, crying their damned crocodile tears while placing their poppies...... they lie countries into war and then send innocent people to die"

Politicians never change, those who vote against war are condemned as cowards, traitors even collaboraters, those who vote for war are praised, portrayed as patriots and back slapped as "good people" ......

BTMS

Site Supporter
The politicans do the lying and the forces do the dying.

I know i write/say that a lot but it is something i thought of after seeing the tears roll down my grandads face one year, he was watching the rememberance service and struggled to "attention" brushing me away as i tried to help him up, he said those who passed had no help and he didn't want help now!

Afterwards he was sat drinking his tea when he said "despicable, all those politicians standing with their heads bowed, crying their damned crocodile tears while placing their poppies...... they lie countries into war and then send innocent people to die"

Politicians never change, those who vote against war are condemned as cowards, traitors even collaboraters, those who vote for war are praised, portrayed as patriots and back slapped as "good people" ......
Never truer words said!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chervil

Site Supporter
Unfortunately, forgetting about those who serve(d), except when you need them, isn't something new. Rudyard Kipling wrote "Tommy" in 1890. Nothing changes, it seems.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
We won didn't we Sarge?

That's it lad, you can go home now
The fightings done and we won.

It doesn't feel like we won Sarge
What with so many young men and women dead.
So many lives ruined.
No lad, it doesn't
But we survived, so we won.

What'll I do now Sarge?
You'll be fine lad
They're making a land fit for heroes back home.
They'll take care of you.
But Sarge, my mind's a mess and my body sore
I really don't know who I am anymore
How will I survive the peace?

Don't you worry lad
You've done your duty
They'll look after you.
Hello Sarge it's been a few years
We've shed a few tears
And time has passed,
But we're still here eh Sarge
We won.

How you keeping lad?
Did they keep their promises
As you kept yours
Fighting in their wars?
No Sarge, I sleep rough on the street
And my mental health isn't good.
I have to beg for help
But you know Sarge, I don't like to.
But we won though, didn't we Sarge

Just they forgot to build a land fit for heroes.
Aye lad, we won.
Here's five pounds
Go get yourself a coffee lad.
There's no more I can do.
Since I got back home
I've been just the same as you.

But we'll get through it won't we Sarge
Of course lad, we always do.
We have to
We owe it to our fallen comrades.
They may forget us and the promises made
Leaving our heroes on the street.