NEW Sonubaits Pro Expanders

geofflukins

Just seen these being demonstrated on FB by Des Shipp. Apparently no need to pump them you just drop them in water. I did check that it wasn't April 1st yet. Looks like these could make a few pellet pumps redundant and affect sales as well.

DFL

I've not used expanders before and fancy trying these, what size and pattern hook is preferable for say the 6mm, and how best to hook them?

geofflukins

I always use a size 16 hook for a 6mm and 18 hook for 4mm. Depends sometimes on the hook pattern though. The hook should go through the rounded edge. The pattern I prefer is the Guru F1 or lwg hooks although I must admit that I fancy trying the Guru Kaizen hooks shortly.

rd350lc

Just seen the video and they look fantastic.

Biggest problems with expanders are consistency in batches , so hopefully these will pass that test.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
In the past I believe expanders were just floating pond pellets that someone discovered made a good bait once encouraged to sink. For feeding fish differences in batches is unimportant as long as the feed content is consistent. The new Sonubaits may be manufactured solely for the fishing market. The first?

geofflukins

If these catch on all the big boys will start making them. Going to affect the sale of pellet pumps in a big way though.

geofflukins

Originally posted by markthemouse

The old dynamite hook and feed pellets did the same.
Never heard of them so either they were rubbish or never caught on.

chubby chubber

Site Supporter
tried these last weekend spot on soaked for 2hrs day before bagged em up fridged them spot on everyone a sinker and robust on the hook i would recommend so easy to prepare

Steven Malam386

Recently purchased 2 bags 4 & 6mm, followed the instructions to the letter. Fished Thursday with them, what an absolute bag of so and so. Completely useless, tried hard for over 2 hours with them. Gave up and binned them, luckily I had some ringers 4mm in my bag. Soaked them fished perfectly for the rest of the day. Learnt my lesson at my cost, don’t believe everything you read is gospel.

D

Deleted member 21081

Bait tech for me also. Pumped night before in water with half a sachet of gelatine added. Drained and kept in a small airtight tub. Stay on the hook excellently when prepped this way.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have to say that I tried the 6mm's at the weekend, soaked for a couple of hours, drained but didn't fridge them, just left in a baitbox overnight in the car and they were spot on, great consistency and every one a sinker. Caught me fish so it leaves me wondering?
an absolute bag of so and so. Completely useless
Tried these absolutely not good
Would either Steven or John care to expand on their quotes as to what exactly they found to be so wrong with them as their comments have left me a tad puzzled?

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
I did not leave mine over night, but where left from when I got to my peg, buy 12 they where just not holding together. If I where going to leave overnight I would just stick to ringers. Don't use soft pellet much. Most time its just a try on the day. On saying this I will give them another try. And will let you know how I get on.

As iv said in the expander post, I have not had a pellet that iv left in water and have not fell to bits.

That's why I tend to stick to hard pellet.

Steven Malam386

Have to say that I tried the 6mm's at the weekend, soaked for a couple of hours, drained but didn't fridge them, just left in a baitbox overnight in the car and they were spot on, great consistency and every one a sinker. Caught me fish so it leaves me wondering?

Would either Steven or John care to expand on their quotes as to what exactly they found to be so wrong with them as their comments have left me a tad puzzled?
I purchased 2 bags 1 each of 4 & 6mm. Prepared both following the instructions given by Des Shipp, both sizes spilt turned to mush. Second time soaked them in water for 60 mins drained them, then placed in plastic bag over night in the fridge. Again completely unusable. I’ve gone back to my Ringers pumped perfect every time.